Taken Off bike by a car - What steps should i take for bike replacement/repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well if not by law you certainly are by the T&Cs of your insurance policy if you want it to remain valid

From a legal site

Inform your insurance company as soon as possible. If you don’t, it could invalidate your insurance cover, even if the accident wasn’t your fault.

Others have covered your injuries but damage to your bike may not be so obvious. What material is the frame made of ? steel, aluminum or carbon ?
Steel of course will be the sturdiest but worth checking the welds, aluminium may have cracked at joints that are not obvious. Carbon can hide its damage. My daughter had a carbon bike that she threw down the road in a finish line pile up, looked to be totally undamaged, was looked at by a shop even. 2 weeks later one of the seatstays suddenly cracked all the way through for no apparent reason in the middle of a race. Only way to be sure is have it xrayed but that probably is un-feasable. Hope everything heals and the driver puts their hands up to it. Are you a member of British Cycling , race gold, silver or ride member , if you are you get free legal cover i believe.

classic33

Leg End Member
Others have covered your injuries but damage to your bike may not be so obvious. What material is the frame made of ? steel, aluminum or carbon ?
Steel of course will be the sturdiest but worth checking the welds, aluminium may have cracked at joints that are not obvious. Carbon can hide its damage. My daughter had a carbon bike that she threw down the road in a finish line pile up, looked to be totally undamaged, was looked at by a shop even. 2 weeks later one of the seatstays suddenly cracked all the way through for no apparent reason in the middle of a race. Only way to be sure is have it xrayed but that probably is un-feasable. Hope everything heals and the driver puts their hands up to it. Are you a member of British Cycling , race gold, silver or ride member , if you are you get free legal cover i believe.
I've stuck with the injuries he's suffered because the bike can't get any worse than it is. He can.

I'll never lay claim to being an expert in head injury, but I've had my share of them over the years(due to epilepsy) and have become sort of unconcerned about the treatment required. I know what I've to watch for, what to do.

OP
OP
C

cutler26

Thanks for all the responses, it is really helping me understand the steps that i should take. Taking the advice to have my bike checked and quoted, would it be best to have the bike reviewed by Halfords as my bike is a Carrera, or to a smaller store? I will try and make a trip to the doctors tomorrow, as I have a report from the paramedics that i need to add to my medical history.

OP
OP
C

cutler26

Hello @cutler26 . Sorry to hear whats happened. Don't rush to agree with the driver just yet. You may want to consider contacting a solicitor, so don't agree to anything just yet.

I'm a nurse @cutler26 and I'm a little concerned that you're not able to weight bear. I think it may still be worthwhile getting checked out in ED, but either way, I hope the sore bits get better quickly.
A couple of years ago when i was 16 (I am 18 now) I had another bike accident which resulted me in breaking and shattering the Navicular in my left ankle taking over 8 weeks in a cast for recovery; the lack of support i am having may be related to that previous injury as it has never quite been the same, and this crash had the bumper of the car closest to that ankle.

classic33

Leg End Member
@cutler26, why not put this time to good use.
Start getting down on paper now what you remember. Doesn't have to be in order at this stage.
One reason being its still fresh in your memory, another being it will give you something to do. It will also highlight any gaps in your memory. Easy do whilst sat down, not watching the television.
If you feel upto it, from your description. Check the bike for any apparent damage. Ripples in the tubes will be easy felt if not seen.

OP
OP
C

cutler26

@cutler26, why not put this time to good use.
Start getting down on paper now what you remember. Doesn't have to be in order at this stage.
One reason being its still fresh in your memory, another being it will give you something to do. It will also highlight any gaps in your memory. Easy do whilst sat down, not watching the television.
If you feel upto it, from your description. Check the bike for any apparent damage. Ripples in the tubes will be easy felt if not seen.
I'll start writing a report style document for now, however the police have a very accurate but brief report. I will also try and look at my bike tomorrow, i believe the frame is aluminium so ill start at the welds/seams.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd take the bike to a local bike shop. I'm sure one of the Brummies on here can perhaps advise on a good un... @User among others :smile:

I'd go to the ED and get that ankle checked and x rayed

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll start writing a report style document for now, however the police have a very accurate but brief report. I will also try and look at my bike tomorrow, i believe the frame is aluminium so ill start at the welds/seams.
Just concentrate on getting what you remember on paper. The report style can come later. This is for your own use and reference. You may think you'll never forget it, but you'll be surprised how the finer details slip from memory.
Get what you know on paper, correct sequence of events can be numbered later and your report made up from there.

You'll say that this is easy say, and in part your right. But the bike can't feel a thing. Forget about it any damage to it, for now.
Three people advising you to get yourself checked over have all been in collisions. Myself included.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for all the responses, it is really helping me understand the steps that i should take. Taking the advice to have my bike checked and quoted, would it be best to have the bike reviewed by Halfords as my bike is a Carrera, or to a smaller store? I will try and make a trip to the doctors tomorrow, as I have a report from the paramedics that i need to add to my medical history.
Any insurance claim will require at least two seperate quotes for the damage. Do not seperate any part of the bike. It needs to be seen as it is, by both shops.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd take the bike to a local bike shop. I'm sure one of the Brummies on here can perhaps advise on a good un... @User among others :smile:

I'd go to the ED and get that ankle checked and x rayed
Having seen the post where there's previous injury, I'd say get there now.
He can complete his writing whilst there.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmm I'd not want to be spending the night at the hospital unless concussion starts to show

@cutler26 are you there with your parents or living the student high life? Is someone looking after you, preferably a sober person! (I was a student once many years ago :biggrin: )

OP
OP
C

cutler26

Just concentrate on getting what you remember on paper. The report style can come later. This is for your own use and reference. You may think you'll never forget it, but you'll be surprised how the finer details slip from memory.
Get what you know on paper, correct sequence of events can be numbered later and your report made up from there.

You'll say that this is easy say, and in part your right. But the bike can't feel a thing. Forget about it any damage to it, for now.
Three people advising you to get yourself checked over have all been in collisions. Myself included.
I agree that the bike can wait I'm just a little upset after I spent my week off going through my bike getting running amazingly, even re-lacing my real wheel which is now knocked out of true.

OP
OP
C

cutler26

Hmm I'd not want to be spending the night at the hospital unless concussion starts to show

@cutler26 are you there with your parents or living the student high life? Is someone looking after you, preferably a sober person! (I was a student once many years ago :biggrin: )
I'm with my parents, my step-mother is a district nurse so i'm in good hands.

classic33

Leg End Member

Thursday & the weekend begins. Also quieter at night.

Top Bottom