Taken Out Tonight :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Got taken out tonight :angry:. Was off for a brisk loop out in the Cheshire Lanes to test todays fettling. Mile and a half from home a van pulled out in front of me missing my front wheel by about a foot then as I shouted at him proceeded to perform a very effective emergency stop. With no where to go I proceeded to plough into the back of him my head connected quite firmly with his rear window, I then found my self in the hedge/verge. A guy riding in the other direction had also shouted at him and seen what had happened stopped help take details photos etc. Much appreciated him taking the time, I think he was almost as suprised as I was at the way the guy had pulled out and then slammed his brakes on.
Ultimately nothing too bad, scuff on helmet, slightly stiff neck, graze on wrist and scuffs on the hoods. I suspect I had scrubbed enough speed off to minimise the impact. Checked the bike over thoroughly and continued with the ride. Will see how I feel in the morning before I decide if I will do anything other than asking for him to meet the cost of a new helmet. I don't often wear a helmet and am very much a believer in it is the individuals choice if you do or don't, but in this particular instance I was glad I had one on.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Ack, hope you're not too sore in the morning.

ClaireSaud

Veteran
Oh dear, sorry to hear that. I can't imagine why someone would want to pull such a dangerous manoeuvre - I would ask what goes on in their heads but probably not a lot is the answer.
GWS - hope you aren't too sore and achy in the morning

cd365

Guru
Report him to his insurance company, he needs to take a hit on his insurance, he might think twice next time about driving like an idiot,

Andrew_P

In between here and there
shoot, can't believe that these people even get a licence. might be worth getting the bike looked over at a decent bike shop? Forks would have taken a fair old clunk, on your Carbon bike?

You will be sore in the morning no doubt

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I hope that you are fine in the morning. If you have so much as a tweak, see your GP and get it noted down. I'd get the bike checked over too, just to be sure.

There are lots of idiots about. It seems more than usual. Must be the sunshine bringing them out.

lukasran

bad luck mate, dont want to compound things further but i had a similar crash and few weeks later my handlebars came off in my hand! the fork had been damaged inside the head tube. definitely worth a check over.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'd definitely get the bike checked out, I wrote my bike off about six weeks ago when I got hit by a car and I didn't even come off the bike.

At least it sounds like you are okay.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Will get the bike checked in more depth. I think most of the impact was me bouncing off his rear window rather than the bike.
I am not a believer in sueing for the sake of it and he looked in a bit of a state of shock. If the bike or me are worse than is immediately apparent though I will take it further.
As Potsy says it could have been far worse. I normally am pretty good at anticipating idiots but I just lost concentration for a minute tonight and didn't clock this one.

Top Bottom