Taking a Bike on a Train In Current Conditions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My experiences have been pretty much great with them. They regularly let three of us on with bikes even though the space is only for two.
Fair dos.
My memory is of laughably limited luggage space for the route i was on. Maybe they have changed the rolling stock.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Fair dos.
My memory is of laughably limited luggage space for the route i was on. Maybe they have changed the rolling stock.

To be fair, we are day trippers so don't carry much with us.

I did one day get on the train I think at Wellingborough and a German woman and her daughter got on with loads of gear, they were heading to Oxford if my memory is correct. Train guard was a bit miffed as it took them ages to get off the train at Leicester, even with me helping them.

To be fair, we are day trippers so don't carry much with us.

I did one day get on the train I think at Wellingborough and a German woman and her daughter got on with loads of gear, they were heading to Oxford if my memory is correct. Train guard was a bit miffed as it took them ages to get off the train at Leicester, even with me helping them.
ah maybe still the same daft trains then. On mine, where some folk had, it seemed rashly, decided to use the train for an airport journey, ie carrying more than a handbag, folks had no choice but to put their luggage in the aisle. I was furious, not with them but with east midlands - for clearly a safety hazard. I was merely travelling between cities but had luggage that had to go in the aisle.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
ah maybe still the same daft trains then. On mine, where some folk had, it seemed rashly, decided to use the train for an airport journey, ie carrying more than a handbag, folks had no choice but to put their luggage in the aisle. I was furious, not with them but with east midlands - for clearly a safety hazard. I was merely travelling between cities but had luggage that had to go in the aisle.

Good job you weren't there the day we shared a train with the New Zealand Triathlon team (?) who were on their way to Nottingham (?) for an event. EMT trains were fantastic, they had kit stashed all over the train for them and still let three of us on with our bikes. @tallliman and @13 rider were with me that day (I think)

Pretty sure it was a weekend were the mainline from London was shut and everyone was being diverted, might have been Grantham station (?) anyway the train staff were fantastic.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
necessary to keep you alive maybe. I don't think the trains are at all crowded still, so don't see its an issue....

From my experience over the last few weeks, there's not as many peak time travellers as pre Covid, but trains are relatively busy around rush hour & it would appear there is much more essential travel when the sun is shining, especially near the coast :blush:
There's been very little policing of the travel rules on trains IMO & I'm sure there will be even less as the rules/guidelines are relaxed. Another month or so & reckon I'll be heading off with my bike on the train again :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know why it is, but getting the train home is a really enjoyable part of a ride for me.

I'll maybe give it a few weeks before I start doing it again.
I often use trains when I want to avoid 'wasting' some of my day's cycling trudging up and down the local valley A-roads, or want to go somewhere different for a change.

I haven't been on a train since the start of 2020 and probably won't again until the end of June so that will be half of my 3-year railcard wasted!

It will be good to get back to normal(-ish) in the summer. All being well, I'll organise the Humber Bridge imperial century forum ride again, probably in July. That usually involves a trip to York and back by train.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Use of the train was, possibly inadvertently, promoted in a GCN video yesterday re making a spring bike ride, Bath to Weymouth with the train back.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
I don't know why it is, but getting the train home is a really enjoyable part of a ride for me.

I prefer to drive the car to a station then get on a train to somewhere and cycle back to the car. It avoids the problem of not being able to get a train back the station where you have left the car.

Count me into that club too. Often the need for a train home on a ride means I've been exploring far from home. The train ride then is where I reflect on the days ride and feel happy that I've managed to do it.

Personally, I'm gonna hold off a train ride until things open up a little more.

You'll be fine in my opinion. Trains very quiet indeed and obviously have been for quite some time. Just take basic precautions - i once got off because some nit i am pretty sure wasn't exempt wasn't wearing a mask. There has been no policing of train trips around london at all from what i have seen, i have even taken a bike from central london evening peak, which strictly you shouldn't do, but of course there was no peak anyway. I took a train yesterday evening from london bridge to what i think are your general parts. Outside peak.

Tom B

Guru
Had similar thoughts last week. Was fed up with taking the car to go and sort out parents and wanted to get back on the train / bike.

It was absolutely fine, there was three other people in the carriage including one other bike. One of the station porters on the other platform was shouting something grumpily over the tracks but couldn't t hear him.

The route I use is.normally pretty full, but there is always room for the bike outside of peak hours.

* Was an essential journey but wasn't asked or challenged in any way.

Top Bottom