Taking a Bike on a Train In Current Conditions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You'll be fine in my opinion. Trains very quiet indeed and obviously have been for quite some time. Just take basic precautions - i once got off because some nit i am pretty sure wasn't exempt wasn't wearing a mask. There has been no policing of train trips around london at all from what i have seen.
I agree and that's been my experience too, my last train journeys (in the last month or two) haven't been with the bike but they were deathly quiet in mid afternoon. You're right that mask policing is non existent. I'm guessing the wardens and train enforcement officers have no way of successfully checking the "I'm exempt mate" cohort, so they look to have given up. I've seen many passengers not bothering with masks on rail services and on platforms, but it's really easy to keep well away from them if you're using the off-peak trains.

My two favourite rides are out to Cambs (Huntingdon via NCN 12 or Cambridge via back roads), and then a nice quiet train back mid afternoon, those rides will be back on the cards for me any week now.

Solocle

Über Member
I did it in January.
54880E25-46A9-4EF0-9218-3C09F380AD0B.jpeg

It wasn't actually planned, I got a puncture on top of the Blackdown Hills, and by the time I'd fixed it I was freezing my @$$ off. So I carried on to Honiton, from where I caught the train.
F5A2373D-E34E-4D31-9715-91E0690BC053.jpeg

I agree and that's been my experience too, my last train journeys (in the last month or two) haven't been with the bike but they were deathly quiet in mid afternoon. You're right that mask policing is non existent. I'm guessing the wardens and train enforcement officers have no way of successfully checking the "I'm exempt mate" cohort, so they look to have given up. I've seen many passengers not bothering with masks on rail services and on platforms, but it's really easy to keep well away from them if you're using the off-peak trains.

My two favourite rides are out to Cambs (Huntingdon via NCN 12 or Cambridge via back roads), and then a nice quiet train back mid afternoon, those rides will be back on the cards for me any week now.
On policing, I was really referring to there being no real policing of whether your trip with the bike was really important/of vital national importance - and though very law and socially minded freely admit to having done some leisure rides with the aid of a train, well well away from folks, usually in an empty carriage. But yes I agree that the masking wasn't enforced as far as I can see - that I didn't like at all but it seems there was sod all they could really do in the circumstances - I have avoided buses totally because of jerks - the typical jerk is someone who has a mask round their neck but seems to think that their extended mouthy phone gossip is vital and demands a captive audience.

I'm also sick of riding around South East London anyway as it's the only riding I've been doing over the past few months, as I chose to interpret "local" as "within a 10km (ish) radius", so I made a bit of a rod for my own back.
SE London is of course great for rapidly getting into the country - and train services with easygoing bike policies much of the rest of the country would kill for. Get out there dogtrousers. I'm planning a circular train assisted ride to Southend.

Tom B

Guru
Re the policing of masks & essential travel, some companies have told their staff that they can not challenge or question passengers, only BTP can do that & they are seen as frequently as trains running to time :laugh:

Quite a day I had, trains ran to time and i saw 2× of British Trainspotting Police's finest, who didnt give me a second glance despite me with young child in tow and Paw Patrol ruck sack looking more like I was heading for a day at the park than on a mission of mercy to fix mothers bog and sort her internet so she can argue with more people on facebook.

* We may have called at the park on the way back!

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Quite a day I had, trains ran to time and i saw 2× of British Trainspotting Police's finest, who didnt give me a second glance despite me with young child in tow and paw patrol ruck sack looking more like I was heading for a day at the park than on a mission of mercy to fix mothers bog and sort her internet so she can argue with more people on facebook.
TBF with the reduced timetable & less passengers, the vast majority of trains are running to time :okay: Your tale sounds about right :blush: I've seen BTP on a handful of occasions, but only once or twice have they been questioning folks re travel &/or masks :sad:

TBF with the reduced timetable & less passengers, the vast majority of trains are running to time :okay:
Yes, I have noticed london trains appearing to sit around for longer than you would expect at stations - because so few folks have been getting on and off. Ditto buses waiting/dawdling, though have hardly used them for a year myself.

Top Bottom