Taking a bike which is too small for me out on a ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jahlive905

Planned on doing the London to Windsor loop this weekend but my bike's somewhere in Kent.

My housemate has her bike handy and said I could take it on the ride. Only problem is the bike is fit for her -she's 5'6, I'm 6'1.

Reckon there'll be any bother with me taking a bike which is not the correct size for me out this weekend or am I gonna pay for it later?

vickster

Legendary Member
I reckon you might pay for it later. Have a good stretch of everything when you finish
Or go get your own bike

martint235

Dog on a bike
How far is the ride? If it's more than about 10 miles I reckon you're looking at: sore knees; cramp where muscle groups are behaving slightly different; sore back from a reduced reach.

Basically I'd say it's a bad idea.

si_c

Guru
If it was an upright bike I'd say go for it, otherwise you're just gonna have all kind of aches.

You'll definitely be able to do it, you will just probably regret it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On an upright bike, it's OK if you don't push too hard, but it still feels odd. I did 20 miles along the Algarve coast on a too-small bike with no ill effects, but I hit a heady top speed of 13mph :laugh:

On a road bike, I'd expect a world of pain for even that distance.

OP
OP
jahlive905

jahlive905

You have all said wise things. Things I didn't want to hear mind. But wise..

I'll go get my bike... gr...:cry:

mattobrien

Guru
I took Mrs O's bike up and down he road as she has complained about a creak, it felt weird, she is 5'3" and I am 6'1". Wouldn't have liked to have taken it much further than a coupe of hundred yards.

I took Mrs O's bike up and down he road as she has complained about a creak, it felt weird, she is 5'3" and I am 6'1". Wouldn't have liked to have taken it much further than a coupe of hundred yards.
My partner once delivered my road bike to me at my office (from Bedfordshire to central London via train; about 4 miles of cycling in total). He's 6', I'm 5'4" and the bike a Surly size 50. He found that very odd feeling indeed.

vickster

Legendary Member
How far is the ride? If it's more than about 10 miles I reckon you're looking at: sore knees; cramp where muscle groups are behaving slightly different; sore back from a reduced reach.

Basically I'd say it's a bad idea.
He said London to Windsor. 35 miles? Loop? And back.,,

I certainly wouldn't!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I once borrowed a knobbly tyred, with high and very wide handlebars and very heavy mountain bike to do a 10 mile trip. The bike was exactly my size. Give me a too small road bike any day over that experience!:heat:

si_c

Guru
Having said all that I'm on holiday about to borrow a bike for a ride, found out the guy lending it to me is 5'4, and I'm 6'5, so this could be interesting. It's an MTB which will help, but nonetheless...

Top Bottom