Taking a furry/feathered friend touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LisaG71

Regular
Hello! I am going to be taking (one) of my Whippets bike touring with me. and/or my bird as well (yes, she would be riding in her travel cage in my trailer with a cover on her while in my tent.)

Does anyone else tour with the dog or other critter?

So, I am also putting this here . . . and to those who don't "think" whippets are smart.. you are very mistaken.

I would rather cook myself over a fire or propane than eat at restaurants. I like to settle down in my tent, watch a movie, train my dog or play with him, or even color while my meal cooks. ( I also kayak camp)

As my dog is an assistance dog, staying in hotels does NOT pose an issue for me nor will grocery stores.

My dogs are well trained and know many commands for dealing with all sorts of issues and also a BIG bottle of bear spray (best thing invented to deal with stray dogs and other wildlife).

the bird I have is used to being around my dogs and if quite at home with being with me (wouldn't require much at all actually) a gallon-sized bag of bird food and water in a bottle in the cage), toys, newspaper, and a fleece cover for her cage at night.. for the dog and I, I'd have to keep lots of water on board (trailer) and kibble (1 cup 2xday). My food etc also.

I can teach him to jump into the trailer in traffic if need be or switch to the other side I need him on (since I AM an aminal trainer also).
whippets are so smart he will catch of quickly. they are an awesome breed. HIGHLY intelligent, they are a tiny bit sensitive, but not my male. I take my dogs EVERYWHERE when they are pups. Fairs, festivals, fireworks, crowded places, around other species. they are bombproof. I am not at all worried nor stressed about taking my whippets on any adventure I through at them.

Why not take all of them?!?
well, I own 3.
No, they won't miss each other
One is going to go be shown by his co-owner at dog shows
one would HATE being outside . . in weather . . (she would be the "I might break a nail" type if she was human), she LOVES being clothed too
My male LOVES his alone time with me. Seeing he is also a bombproof assistance dog (I think he can handle it) I am a trainer after all.

Please do not "worry" about other peoples animals as you do not know them NOR know the animals. the owner knows them the best.

Last edited:
You may find inspiration from the One Bike One World YouTube channel: the rider there travels with a cat he found on the roadside and rescued.

He also rescued a dog who was adopted by his sister.

Touring with a furry friend is a bit of a dream of mine.
You may like to mine YouTube for inspiration (and rather less info).
Here's one, thanks to @IaninSheffield.

View: https://youtu.be/1uGhDRLIfIw

Taking two, especially very different animals, is even more interesting!

Having toured a bit in the US (not your neck of the woods) I'd have two major concerns. The first is traffic and the physical risk it poses (not to mention stress on animals) and the second is other animals, but especially dogs. (In a great display of irony the Touring Gods arranged it that when roads got quiet the dogs came out to play^_^).

I would imagine that animal care on tour would require special equipment (trailer), more gear, limited accommodation options, more difficulty in "normal" chores like shopping, eating out etc.

The key to getting it all together, I'd imagine is to practice, practice and when that's all done, practice some more.
At the end of the day, you are responsible for the animals.

CrazyGuyOnABike will have lots of stories.

Ishbel Holmes aka World Bike Girl rescued a stray dog in Turkey and took it with her in a trailer on her round the world trip, so it's 100% doable from a logistical standpoint.

I'm no dog psychologist but I understand that whippets are sensitive, easily scared and extremely energetic. That sounds like the perfect storm to me. Have you done a trial run to see how it copes with the change?

During my travels in France and Spain I encountered far more aggressively territorial dogs than I ever have in the UK. Almost every dog I encountered on the continent would chase me. If I were to tour with a dog it'd need to be a laid back dog that is not easily stressed.

Why take one of your dog's ? Wouldn't he miss the other ?
My dog is a nervy whippet cross and thus adventure would be awful for him I think. I hope yours is up to it.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
I can't imagine sitting in a trailer for those types of animals would be stress free (for the animal).

My animals are stress free when doing anything with me.
as this dog is my assistance dog, he would do anything I asked him to. Why worry is someone else's animal would react? when you have never met the animals in question.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
Why take one of your dog's ? Wouldn't he miss the other ?
My dog is a nervy whippet cross and thus adventure would be awful for him I think. I hope yours is up to it.
i have 3 whippets.
one is going to be shown by his co-owner at dog shows
one would not like being there
and
one loves doing anything I ask him to do.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
Ishbel Holmes aka World Bike Girl rescued a stray dog in Turkey and took it with her in a trailer on her round the world trip, so it's 100% doable from a logistical standpoint.

I'm no dog psychologist but I understand that whippets are sensitive, easily scared and extremely energetic. That sounds like the perfect storm to me. Have you done a trial run to see how it copes with the change?

During my travels in France and Spain I encountered far more aggressively territorial dogs than I ever have in the UK. Almost every dog I encountered on the continent would chase me. If I were to tour with a dog it'd need to be a laid back dog that is not easily stressed.
whippets are not scared
he does anything I ask of him, I have no doubt he will LOVE it and also he is highly trained.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular
Touring with a furry friend is a bit of a dream of mine.
You may like to mine YouTube for inspiration (and rather less info).
Here's one, thanks to @IaninSheffield.

View: https://youtu.be/1uGhDRLIfIw

Taking two, especially very different animals, is even more interesting!

Having toured a bit in the US (not your neck of the woods) I'd have two major concerns. The first is traffic and the physical risk it poses (not to mention stress on animals) and the second is other animals, but especially dogs. (In a great display of irony the Touring Gods arranged it that when roads got quiet the dogs came out to play^_^).

I would imagine that animal care on tour would require special equipment (trailer), more gear, limited accommodation options, more difficulty in "normal" chores like shopping, eating out etc.

The key to getting it all together, I'd imagine is to practice, practice and when that's all done, practice some more.
At the end of the day, you are responsible for the animals.

CrazyGuyOnABike will have lots of stories.

I follow a couple of guys who take their dogs on bike trips with them on youtube. Personally, I would rather cook myself over a fire or propane than eat at restaurants. I like to settle down in my tent ( I also kayak camp) As my dog is an assistance dog, staying in hotels does NOT pose an issue for me.

My dogs are well trained and know many commands for dealing with all sorts of issues and also a BIG bottle of bear spray (best thing invented to deal with stray dogs and other wildlife).

the bird I have is used to being around my dogs and if quite at home with being with me (wouldn't require much at all actually) a gallon-sized bag of bird food and water in a bottle in the cage), toys, newspaper, and a fleece cover for her cage at night.. for the dog and I, I'd have to keep lots of water on board (trailer) and kibble (1 cup 2xday) . My food ect also.

I can teach him to jump into the trailer in traffic if need be or switch to the other side I need him on (since I AM an aminal trainer also). whippets are so smart he will catch of quickly. they are an awesome breed. HIGHLY intelligent, they are a tiny bit sensitive, but not my male. I take my dogs EVERYWHERE when they are pups. Fairs, festivals, fireworks, crowded places, around other species. they are bombproof. I am not at all worried nor stressed about taking my whippets on any adventure I through at them.

OP
OP
LisaG71

LisaG71

Regular

I didn't ask if anyone thought it was a good idea.
I asked if anyone else took a furry friend. I am a dog trainer and i KNOW MY DOGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom