Taking advantage of the crap weather...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
And put both bikes in for a service. The nice weather carbon bike is getting new wheels and tyres (DT Swiss R23s) and a bit of a tune up. The winter bike is also getting new wheels (the shimano rs010s off the nice bike), new cassette, and a bit of a rebuild. The winter bike needs a bit of love, it's been thrashed around in all weathers for the past several months. There's a bit of play in the headset, potentially a creak from the bottom bracket that only happens when i put a bit of power down.

I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing, except I found out today that my local bike shop has just closed its doors for good (https://www.bikebiz.com/news/buckingham-bikes-closes). I'm absolutely gutted as I thought they were a really good store and always went to them first for parts, equipment and servicing, even if I thought I might be able to get it slightly cheaper elsewhere. The only time recently I'd bought anything bike related from t'internet, was only because it was an odd part that they couldn't get in for a week and I needed it next day. But I guess this is the way of the world now - only online and the big chains are likely to survive...

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing, except I found out today that my local bike shop has just closed its doors for good (https://www.bikebiz.com/news/buckingham-bikes-closes). I'm absolutely gutted as I thought they were a really good store and always went to them first for parts, equipment and servicing, even if I thought I might be able to get it slightly cheaper elsewhere. The only time recently I'd bought anything bike related from t'internet, was only because it was an odd part that they couldn't get in for a week and I needed it next day. But I guess this is the way of the world now - only online and the big chains are likely to survive...
That is awful!!! I am so sorry to hear that, it's terrible when good shops go out of business! I don't know what I'd do without my boys at Ernie's. I am trying to get to know/get used to the guys at the little shop by my work (also an Ernie's, owned by the same man but a smaller branch store) since I have started commuting, so if I need anything at work they are there. But even that is a big change for me and I don't like it as well as they cater mostly to roadies and never offer to order anything in for me if they don't stock it (even if another Ernie's carries it in stock). A few people have recommended another shop to me the next town up and I may check it out just to see what they have, but I am loyal to my store. Online is for things they don't carry or can't order, brands they don't carry, etc. Online can't fix your bike for you :headshake:

Julia9054

Guru
School is shut today. Put all the walking gear on to waddle a quarter of a mile to the high street to get some bits for tea. Bumped into a friend dressed similarly - also a teacher having a snow day. She suggested that since we were dressed as the Berghaus twins we should walk the 5 miles to Harrogate along the cycleway, get lunch and get the train back.
So i have had some exercise, a good old natter and catch up and lunch out.
A great snow day.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I got about 3 hours sleep as kids of school and the bath waste pipe has frozen, oh and some twonks stole the sled out of our garden so kid are not happy.
Work also called extra overtime to catch back a parts shortage with another 2 hours extra planned tonight.
I-hate-winter.jpg

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't want to make you jealous but here's a screen shot of my phone a couple of days ago....

Screenshot_20180227-162001.png

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'd love to take advantage of a snow day, but for some reason my employer has equipped me for occasional home-working.

But i did take an hour out to cycle up to the GP practice and have my "over 40 health check" with a nurse who admitted she never bothered with "any of these things herself". She also declared cycling to be so very dangerous. I stopped believing anything she said after that, apart from the bit about a clean bill of health., obviously.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
School is shut today. Put all the walking gear on to waddle a quarter of a mile to the high street to get some bits for tea. Bumped into a friend dressed similarly - also a teacher having a snow day. She suggested that since we were dressed as the Berghaus twins we should walk the 5 miles to Harrogate along the cycleway, get lunch and get the train back.
So i have had some exercise, a good old natter and catch up and lunch out.
A great snow day.

:bravo: :notworthy: :becool:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
As the kids were off school today and both my wife and I were at home, I did some science experiments with our son, and my wife did some painting of plaster figurines with our daughter.

Basic science, but still fun. The first we learnt that lemon juice is an acid by taking two dull pennies, putting one in water an the other in the juice. Result: one shiny penny.

The second experiment involved food colouring in water and mixing colours.

My son loves science so we had fun. ^_^

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Day off work, so I (and the cat) had a lie in. Went to gym, had the ladies gym to myself other than a lady decorator painting the walls! Got sweaty, then went to meet a working at home friend for lunch at Waitrose, did some shopping, a bit more shopping at Asda on way home. Now a lazy rest of day on the sofa (might do a little housework if can summon the energy). Freezing out there, I'm not going out again

Sounds a really good day tbh! My spin went well yesterday so I was happy to kickstart my March KM Challenge. My back is a little sore, I think its the cold weather and stuff, but I am going to try and run later as well on the treadmill- as well as do some upper body stuff - which I haven't for ages!

I am just counting down the days till I have a solo holiday in Majorca - seriously cannot wait! Want to be in better shape though!

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
that's terrible @cyberknight - thankfully our main roads are not that bad now - I was pretty happy I was following a gritter this morning! I stupidly went to back roads yesterday because its *USUALLY* quicker and I was dropping a friend off. However, it was hellish slippery - then two idiot cars behind decided to overtake on pretty much a 1 and a half car width road, pushing me over into the drift on the side. :thumbsdown:

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
So last night after little lady went to bed I thought I'd go out for a ride, only to find that the rain had turned into blinding snow and we had severe winds. Looks like your guys' storm has jumped the pond and caught up with me, so much for mild and rainy!

Nah, it's the cable that stretches beds in and needs a tweek sometimes, quite usual to have a 'free' service on a new bike.

This^

Have been off work all work (using up holiday entitlement-great planning) and apart from some work in the shed Monday have done feck all.

Top Bottom