Taking kit abroad when hiring bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Going to Portugal next week and plan on hiring a bike for a couple of days. What experience does anyone have of taking helmets in luggage? Anyone ever had their helmet smashed in luggage for example?

Probably not even a problem and I'm overthinking it really!

Thanks

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I just borrow one of the hire shop, enables me to travel hand luggage only.

I Wouldn't risk it in hold baggage - have you seen they way they throw stuff around?

Globalti

Legendary Member
This seems to come up surprisingly often. All you have to do is create a nest for the helmet amongst your clothes then fill the helmet with something scrunched up and it will be safe as houses. It's not rocket science. The same principle applies to packing anything in a case although heavy, smooth slippery objects like wine bottles can sometimes migrate to odd corners of the case if not completely wrapped. I sold some Victorian glassware on Ebay once, packed it in polystyrene chips and a vase slipped down to the bottom and got its base smashed off by clumsy handling.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you're flying from Manchester put the pedals in your hand luggage to wind up the shower of muppets on Security.

.......second thoughts, don't as your bag will get bumped.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Took helmets to the Canary Islands a few weeks ago due to the law requiring them over there. Needn't have bothered, we didn't use them and nobody batted an eyelid.

Pedals, shoes and tools went in the hold luggage and helmets in hand luggage. Wouldn't trust the baggage handlers not to smash a polystyrene helmet during 'handling' :eek:

Wear it on the plane. You can carry your saddle. Clipless pedals may be OK in hand luggage but Im not sure.

Just back from a cycling holiday and was sorely tempted to wear my helmet through security, after all, other people were wearing hats so what`s the difference. As it was I was allowed two bags on the plane and just stuck it a bag and had it between my feet

Top Bottom