Taking kit abroad when hiring bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Manchester baggage handlers once threw my bike bag out of the hold, 8-10 feet down onto a trolley loaded with suitcases! I know exactly what they did because I was sitting in a window seat just above the hold door and saw the bag flying through the air. They dinged the seat tube of my new bike.

As for Spanish security ... My Scicon bike box** wouldn't fit through the x-ray machine at Alicante so they always made me unpack it and put the contents through separately. One beefy, non-English-speaking guard was very curious about a mysterious container with half a kilo of white powder in it. I pointed at my drinks bottles, mimed making up sports drinks and drinking them on the bike. He smiled, nodded in understanding and waved it through. I suspect that I would have had a harder time if they had spotted it in Manchester! :laugh:

** Bought to replace the bike bag for extra protection. It DID protect the bike, but the handlers broke the corner of the case, probably throwing THAT out of a plane!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I carry mine on. It is not luggage, it is a hat. Wear it if you have to. I have never had a problem.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just back from a cycling holiday and was sorely tempted to wear my helmet through security, after all, other people were wearing hats so what`s the difference. As it was I was allowed two bags on the plane and just stuck it a bag and had it between my feet
I got admonished for wearing a woolly hat in airport security recently and told to take it off. I'd just forgotten I had it on.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Took helmets to the Canary Islands a few weeks ago due to the law requiring them over there. Needn't have bothered, we didn't use them and nobody batted an eyelid.
IIRC it's the same as Spain in that they're not compulsory in cities, uphill or in hot weather, which probably covers most of the Canaries most of the time!

[...] half a kilo of white powder in it. I pointed at my drinks bottles, mimed making up sports drinks and drinking them on the bike. He smiled, nodded in understanding and waved it through. I suspect that I would have had a harder time if they had spotted it in Manchester! :laugh:
He probably just thought you were doping and was OK with that!

I got admonished for wearing a woolly hat in airport security recently and told to take it off. I'd just forgotten I had it on.
Was it noticed because you'd lined it with tinfoil to stop the thought-stealing machine? ;)

Back to the OP: when I used one, I packed it in luggage surrounded by clothes and it got though unscathed. I also took some bike tools in it, which were once needed to get me back on the road. I wouldn't trust a much-hired helmet.

What about people who wear baseball hats, they don`t get told off for wearing them, may try it next time, wearing my helmet `Nam style and see what happens lol - if the worst comes to the worst, I can whip out my second small bag and put it in there. Mind you, wouldn`t stop me from looking like a t*t lol

Going to Portugal next week and plan on hiring a bike for a couple of days. What experience does anyone have of taking helmets in luggage? Anyone ever had their helmet smashed in luggage for example?

Probably not even a problem and I'm overthinking it really!

Thanks

Where about in Portugal you going? We have a place on the Algarve and do a lot of cycling there so maybe can help with routes if you are in an area we cycle.

Top Bottom