Tales about shopkeepers or wholesalers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
By special request Of Blue Hills I have started this.
It. Is a jungle out there and my experience ranges from whisky sales to craft shops as well as manufacturing and selling wholesale.
This cartoon by Ronald Searle is to do with the annual festival of sour grapes in the EEC but illustrates quite well the world of shops trying to grab money from tourists.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
How do supermarkets sometimes sell premium whisky at a rock bottom price?
Say a large retailer reckons to sell 100 cases between now and Christmas. If they order 200 cases they get a bigger discount and as a newcomer trying to break into a tightly controlled market you are very tempted to go along with this as well as the extra 15% they knock off your price. They take this order in batches and sell at a high price until they have sold the estimated 100 cases. They then have 2 courses of action. Cancel the remaining 100 cases and refuse to increase the price they pay or more likely sell the rest as a loss leader at cost. This of course royally p——s of your other customers who demand lower prices or lose the order. You are stuffed as the large retailer then has you by the short and curlies. Your only option is to relabel the same whisky with a different name and crawl back to your small customers and try to regain their trust.
A whisky sales manager gave me this as it actually happened to one of our brands.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Since nobody else has taken up the cudgels I will explain a bit about the cartoon and ref to a jungle.
Your competitors are not your friends and will try in some cases to block your orders by offering a bigger order to the supplier if they cancel your order. Some suppliers refuse and some accept. We with our manufacturers hat on always refused.
We always had a large end stand with the end panel removed as did the stand behind us who sold cards. Another local retailer but not a competitor arrived on our stand and asked if she could sit down for a while as an arch rival was on the card stand and as she said "The b---h is probably trying to cut me out and I'll wait till she's gone".
Our" Head Girl" who came with us to major trade shows strolled round and thought the rival had gone so called out "It's ok Diana she's gone but you are wasting your time as she has cancelled your orders". She then noticed to her horror that the rival had not gone and slunk back to our stand.
Some time later the guy selling cards came round " I don't know what you said back there Barbara but most of the cards on my display curled up and fell off". Fortunately we all got on well together and he though it a great joke but it did indicate the cut throat approach some had.

gbb

Legendary Member
It is cutthroat and it's sometimes a game to know when to play...and when not.
An engineering wholesaler I used for 20 years and built up a healthy relationship with always tried to try to go the extra mile...as far was reasonable.
I'd spend maybe £300 a month of nuts and bolts..plus a host of other industrial stuff, tools, transmission components etc etc.
A competitor came in and slowly, then quickly, eroded the margins, culminating in a quote I shared with my favoured supplier, his response ?
'Let em have it ...they're making a loss'
He was confident of our good working relationship...and rightly so.

gbb

Legendary Member
Maybe not quite connected or appropriate to the OP but has anyone been to the pyramids at Cairo and experiences the almost tsunami of sellers that engulf you...its like you're drowning in a tidal wave of hard sell :smile:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Maybe not quite connected or appropriate to the OP but has anyone been to the pyramids at Cairo and experiences the almost tsunami of sellers that engulf you...its like you're drowning in a tidal wave of hard sell :smile:
I’ve been to Egypt a number of times, mainly on business. It’s a crazy place and Cairo is just so chaotic. I can’t relax in places like that.
As a contrast we were at a Roman Ruin in Turkey, they had a line painted on the ground which the stall holders couldn’t cross. It was strictly policed.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A lot of retailers in the tourist market appear to be totally thick.
I went into a small shop in Wester Ross who had a very small trial order from us. Checked the shop and could not see any hats so remarked" no wooly hats left then". She reached under the counter and said "yes we have plenty here". Nobody can see them so how the blazes do they expect to sell them as they tend to be an impulse buy?
Similarly in a shop on Loch Lomondside with a captive market from a large caravan park they were on display in a glass fronted cabinet behind the counter. They do get suggestions as to the best way to display and sell but they know best.
Our best customers had a basket and mirror and a pile of hats in the basket and sold loads despite in one case putting on an eye watering mark up.
Large multi shop businesses can be just as bad. In one town I will not name I checked the shop out and after a long and diligent search found them in a basket at the far end of the second floor behind a garment rail. Mind you the shop manager had received no "inducements" as in some cases they seem to expect some private encouragement.
Large organisations like the National Trust For Scotland when I checked one shop I found no Scottish goods on sale at all. All Chinese made tat.
I did get barred from the NTS anyway for daring to say Good Morning to the chief buyer without making an appointment. Seems unbelievable but true. She did not know I did not want our stuff mixed up with the rest of the tat they sold anyway.
Byers and their foibles are another ball game entirely tho'.

gbb

Legendary Member
I’ve been to Egypt a number of times, mainly on business. It’s a crazy place and Cairo is just so chaotic. I can’t relax in places like that.
As a contrast we were at a Roman Ruin in Turkey, they had a line painted on the ground which the stall holders couldn’t cross. It was strictly policed.
A short story..
I flew into Cairo then taxi to Kafr Al Zaiat for work. As we left the airport I was met with a cocophony of noise...traffic, people dodging traffic, noise, thundering belching lorries, incessant toot toot toot of car horns, just insane, it gave me a headache after a while. My taxi driver also incessantly tooted his horn, it seemed a necessity.
As we left Cairo dusk began to fall, the traffic faded slowly away until we were in silence, hardly a car in sight....but Mr Noor, the taxi driver occasionally and for no good reason I could see, would suddenly, sporadically toot his horn :wacko:
He also extricated £10 from me plus I paid for a rest stop meal at a roadside 'cafe' for the both of us, the sly beggar but that's another story.:laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
@oldwheels is this on topic.
In the 70s I drove a 3.5 ton delivering frozen food to shops (Findus & Lyons Maid).
It was seriously hard work. Lots of drops and cold hands.
One day, about 1200, I knocked on a shop with a sign "closed for lunch".
The woman leaned out of the window and shouted........
"I am having my lunch, I will be down in half an hour".
I shouted "well I'm not having my lunch and will be gone in half a minute".
30 seconds later she opened the door ^_^

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A lot of retailers in the tourist market appear to be totally thick.
I went into a small shop in Wester Ross who had a very small trial order from us. Checked the shop and could not see any hats so remarked" no wooly hats left then". She reached under the counter and said "yes we have plenty here". Nobody can see them so how the blazes do they expect to sell them as they tend to be an impulse buy?
Similarly in a shop on Loch Lomondside with a captive market from a large caravan park they were on display in a glass fronted cabinet behind the counter. They do get suggestions as to the best way to display and sell but they know best.
Our best customers had a basket and mirror and a pile of hats in the basket and sold loads despite in one case putting on an eye watering mark up.
Large multi shop businesses can be just as bad. In one town I will not name I checked the shop out and after a long and diligent search found them in a basket at the far end of the second floor behind a garment rail. Mind you the shop manager had received no "inducements" as in some cases they seem to expect some private encouragement.
Large organisations like the National Trust For Scotland when I checked one shop I found no Scottish goods on sale at all. All Chinese made tat.
I did get barred from the NTS anyway for daring to say Good Morning to the chief buyer without making an appointment. Seems unbelievable but true. She did not know I did not want our stuff mixed up with the rest of the tat they sold anyway.
Byers and their foibles are another ball game entirely tho'.

I've probably told this tale before, but the proprietor of the caving shop in Wells, "Bat Products" made fleece hats out of the off cuts from making caving undersuits. His genius marketing was to stick some in the window with the catchy sales slogan "look like a twat in a Bat Products hat" He sold loads ! He described one cold day when a passing labourer bought one and over the day the rest of the tarmac gang were so impressed they all came in and bought one as well.

Tony Jarrett "J-Rat"sadly no longer with us: a distinguished cave explorer, known and respected by the caving world, and all round lovely guy.

Tom B

Guru
The company I used to work for had a wholesale part and a retail side. I used to work at both dependent on where I was needed. The wholesale side had an import and distribution deal for some flooring products and was based nextdoor to one of the biggest wholesalers in the country. We had a deal to supply them with the flooring and some other bits and bobs. Being a huge customer we'd unload the container and drop it straight into their goods in.

They also supplied and delivered to our retail side (a far wider selection of stuff than we wholesaled)

Being a wholesaler they worked on tight margins.

As a huge customer we got 25% discount on most lines (everyone got something) and they introduced a cashback thing where you'd get 1% or so of your total spend back at the end of the year.

After a while we figured that they was screwing down so tightly on the margins that after our discount they'd be selling it to us for a few pennies less than we'd sold it to them for. They'd then split it down, handle it and deliver it for no extra charge meaning we didn't have to use our own vans or contractors then give us 1% at the end of the year.

That went on for years with them seemingly not realising but the volumes dropped off as the market was saturated. Clearly nobody was keeping an eye on the margins after discounts were applied and nobody questioned why we was buying our own stock back. Though I doubt the pickers and floor staff had a clue where it came from.

The loss was pennies per pack, but for us the boon was the free handling and delivery.

Years later I was working in the retail side. We had a pretty good relationship with most of our neighbouring businesses each developing our own nieche. Then a smart arse know it all turned up and opened a discount shop, he wanted to sell everything from fruit and veg to furniture and would copy every offer but at a few pence less. Being multi outlet with decent buying power and having a wide range of products we could just match him but for some of the small shops he cause real issues as he's just take the really profitable bits. The green grocers made a living from fruit and veg but garden plants etc paid for the cars and holiday and the sons uni and so on.

He had rubbed me up the wrong way a few times just going it of his way to cause friction and he'd then decided to take me on with flower pots and door mats. Now flower pots he could have, they was bulky low value low margin pains I my posterior. So we had a bit of a race to the bottom and I left him to it.

At the time we'd done a wholesale deal and a deal across our shops for door mats. We knew we'd got a good price with a massive saving on list prices. We'd worked with them for years but they'd just modernised their range and seeing huge growth. I was astounded at the margins I could put on door mats and they were flying cheaper than that garden centres and sheds.

The suppliers rep pulled a bit of a sly trick and after dropping off our new racks and pos went and sold Nobby up the road a raft of the same.

When his stock arrived he had a huge sign up saying he was cheaper. I phoned the rep and called him out in his sly trick and called his boss. It just wasn't cricket. Rep boss told me that there was no way Nobby had received a discount. So i just stuck them offer at wholesale price, essentially what he'd paid. But still a small margin for us.

Well blow me if he didn't turn up in the shop the following afternoon and start shouting and effing and jeffing threatening to beat me up. Clearly didn't like his own medicine. Word quickly spread he was in my shop ranting and a few other shopkeepers rapidly arrived in my shop and he was given advice by all I think a few customers had a pop too.

A day or two later I turned up and found my locks had been glued. I called that a win. He wound his neck in at that point and we coexisted from the until he got in some mither and went bust. But for that day on I carried a blow lamp and pliers in the boot of the car. (With a superglued lock you hold the key in the pliers head it to being red hot in the blow lamp and insert it in the lock keep repeating thing not to be overcome by the fumes and the lock will release once the glue has melted /burned off.

I miss them days. But 12years in I still have nightmares about balancing tills, safes, stocktakes and getting orders in on time. I don't think I realised how stressful it was working 7am til 8pm 6 days a week. Didn't leave much cycling time either.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
His genius marketing was to stick some in the window with the catchy sales slogan "look like a twat in a Bat Products hat" He sold loads ! ...

In a similar vein

Beaver sports or Beaver Watersports as they're sometime known used to sell tee-shirts with Happiness is a wet Beaver emblazoned.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The company I used to work for had a wholesale part and a retail side. I used to work at both dependent on where I was needed. The wholesale side had an import and distribution deal for some flooring products and was based nextdoor to one of the biggest wholesalers in the country. We had a deal to supply them with the flooring and some other bits and bobs. Being a huge customer we'd unload the container and drop it straight into their goods in.

They also supplied and delivered to our retail side (a far wider selection of stuff than we wholesaled)

Being a wholesaler they worked on tight margins.

As a huge customer we got 25% discount on most lines (everyone got something) and they introduced a cashback thing where you'd get 1% or so of your total spend back at the end of the year.

After a while we figured that they was screwing down so tightly on the margins that after our discount they'd be selling it to us for a few pennies less than we'd sold it to them for. They'd then split it down, handle it and deliver it for no extra charge meaning we didn't have to use our own vans or contractors then give us 1% at the end of the year.

That went on for years with them seemingly not realising but the volumes dropped off as the market was saturated. Clearly nobody was keeping an eye on the margins after discounts were applied and nobody questioned why we was buying our own stock back. Though I doubt the pickers and floor staff had a clue where it came from.

The loss was pennies per pack, but for us the boon was the free handling and delivery.

Years later I was working in the retail side. We had a pretty good relationship with most of our neighbouring businesses each developing our own nieche. Then a smart arse know it all turned up and opened a discount shop, he wanted to sell everything from fruit and veg to furniture and would copy every offer but at a few pence less. Being multi outlet with decent buying power and having a wide range of products we could just match him but for some of the small shops he cause real issues as he's just take the really profitable bits. The green grocers made a living from fruit and veg but garden plants etc paid for the cars and holiday and the sons uni and so on.

He had rubbed me up the wrong way a few times just going it of his way to cause friction and he'd then decided to take me on with flower pots and door mats. Now flower pots he could have, they was bulky low value low margin pains I my posterior. So we had a bit of a race to the bottom and I left him to it.

At the time we'd done a wholesale deal and a deal across our shops for door mats. We knew we'd got a good price with a massive saving on list prices. We'd worked with them for years but they'd just modernised their range and seeing huge growth. I was astounded at the margins I could put on door mats and they were flying cheaper than that garden centres and sheds.

The suppliers rep pulled a bit of a sly trick and after dropping off our new racks and pos went and sold Nobby up the road a raft of the same.

When his stock arrived he had a huge sign up saying he was cheaper. I phoned the rep and called him out in his sly trick and called his boss. It just wasn't cricket. Rep boss told me that there was no way Nobby had received a discount. So i just stuck them offer at wholesale price, essentially what he'd paid. But still a small margin for us.

Well blow me if he didn't turn up in the shop the following afternoon and start shouting and effing and jeffing threatening to beat me up. Clearly didn't like his own medicine. Word quickly spread he was in my shop ranting and a few other shopkeepers rapidly arrived in my shop and he was given advice by all I think a few customers had a pop too.

A day or two later I turned up and found my locks had been glued. I called that a win. He wound his neck in at that point and we coexisted from the until he got in some mither and went bust.

I miss them days. But 12years in I still have nightmares about balancing tills, safes, stocktakes and getting orders in on time. I don't think I realised how stressful it was working 7am til 8pm 6 days a week. Didn't leave much cycling time either.
A bit like the cartoon I started this thread with.

Top Bottom