Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Bit of fun on today's commute.....
Trip in this morning wasn't too bad with just a few snow flurries, but an annoying bump, bump, bump from the back tyre. I vaguely remember noticing it towards the end of my last ride on the bike but due to the pouring rain and it being a return from a night shift the bike just got put away and the bumping forgotten about, until this morning! Once in the light of the works bike shed I inspected the rear wheel and found the tyre had developed a bulge and wiggle where the casing was obviously starting to break up!
I forewarned my wife that she was on standby for a recovery but would try to limp home on the failing tyre. Obviously I didn't make it and was almost at the halfway point when the tortured rear tyre went flat :sad:
Recovery service called into action (she's not happy) and I arrived home barely 10 minutes later than I would have without the trouble. New tyres now fitted and moulding sprues trimmed off ready for the commute in the morning.

Maybe I should replace them a couple of days earlier next time....
upload_2017-12-8_23-31-0.png

The front tyre wasn't much better;
upload_2017-12-8_23-31-54.png

Old tyres were fitted in March 2016 and have covered a bit over 4000 miles so not too bad really for a cheapish tyre. Vittoria Randonneur Pro (folding) now fitted in 35mm size so will be interesting to see how these last as I have been very impressed with the set on my road bike for the time I have had them.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Cold commute this morning be interesting to see how cold it gets after the weekend :eek: Don't think I've ever passed as much sick in my life this morning all over the side of the roads xx(!

Randombiker9

Probs won't be cycling till snow goes away. Started snowing this morning here and just started snowing more. So looks like i'll be getting bus to college tommorow. :sad: i hate snow and ice i don't cycle when there's snow or ice

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Probs won't be cycling till snow goes away. Started snowing this morning here and just started snowing more. So looks like i'll be getting bus to college tommorow. :sad: i hate snow and ice i don't cycle when there's snow or ice
Some interesting conditions recently...;):cold:I'm going to have my bike serviced while I'm in London next week, as the winter commute is taking its toll. If it gets any colder I'll be bumping into Whitewalkers on my commute:ph34r:!

Randombiker9

Some interesting conditions recently...;):cold:I'm going to have my bike serviced while I'm in London next week, as the winter commute is taking its toll. If it gets any colder I'll be bumping into Whitewalkers on my commute:ph34r:!
I dunno where you live but it hasn't snowed in Berkshire since 2011 i think. So i wasn't expecting snow this morning. However most of it's turned into slush now but i'm not going to risk it as it might snow more overnight :/

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Going to be super-exciting tomorrow morning, wake up & call work to find out if the site is open. Generally always closed when it snows.

I reckon a good 70% chance I'll be "working from home" tomorrow.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If not it'll be pain in the arse as I still haven't got over my cold and the 'cross bike is right at the back of my Asgard locker.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was off sick three days last week. I'm at the point when I'm not really sick enough to stay home but not quite well enough to stay at work all day either (I nearly wrote 'not well-enough to do a full days' work, then realised I'm never well enough for that)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
So I called and the message said site would be open. Shovelled the snow off the top of the bike locker, emptied it, dragged out the 'cross bike, swapped the front wheel for me studded tyre wheel, swapped the lights over, called one more time and... site closed except for essential staff and those who can walk to site.

I was sort of ready though, should have just stayed in bed.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Made a pleasant change not to arrive at work hot and sweaty today.
Roads were patchy though as the salt spreaders seemed to have driven down the middle of the less busier roads leaving an erratically icy edge.
Also had a moment where the back wheel slipped away, fortunately managed to get my foot down in time. - I doubt this will come as news for United Utilities, but merely putting a barrier around a leaking main, doesn't stop water spreading over a road surface on the coldest night of the winter so far.

Top Bottom