Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
TL001981.JPG
Got a head cold and was in two minds about riding in today. Cold & windy with a risk of ice.

After about 3 miles I was enjoying the ride and was quite warm so decided to do the ten mile route. Had great fun bumbling down the A38 past all the queuing cars. I was really glad I bothered as I arrived at work full of bounce !

si_c

Guru
Bit chilly this morning. Thought about wearing the winter jacket, opted for a second pair of socks instead. Right choice, was roasting by the time I got to work, even though the temp was around -5°.

Roads were obviously gritted and salted last night, which is good, but the gutter had a fair amount of ice, and that's where the cycle lane is. In fairness today, didn't have a single bad pass, seems everyone is being more careful today. Except the guy who took out an entire pedestrian island :blink::eek:, Police and wrecked car still at the scene, lots of backed up traffic.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Met Office is displaying a possible low of -8 for tomorrow morning, although I've sometimes seen these sort of figures for rural areas around here I've never seen anything like that for central Watford in the forecast before. Unusual. Will report temperature recorded on the thermometer nailed to my fence before I leave tomorrow.

13 rider

Guru
Made it s full 100 yards this morning before I decided it was to icy to contemplate the quick descent coming up so aborted cycle commute and took the car :sad: probably would have been ok but to risky for me

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Took the single speed today, after yesterday's test ride

Very hard commute though, mainly because of having to traverse all the fallen trees over the cycle route - most of which I had to lift the bike over and climb through.

It's going to be fun in the dark on the return journey :eek:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Made it s full 100 yards this morning before I decided it was to icy to contemplate the quick descent coming up so aborted cycle commute and took the car :sad: probably would have been ok but to risky for me

You did the right thing. I've just got back in and the slush is already frozen on some side roads. Chances are out your way it will be icy on the main roads by the time it is going home time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's vile out in SE London at then moment. Freezing cold and sleet. And I'll be cycling home (well to the train station) in it. Testing, very testing.

Ciar

Veteran
I bottled it in all honestly, wanted to see how clear the roads were in E/NE London and they were decent, so was thinking of riding tom. but now it seems that the temperature is going to drop and i know sections of the cycle lane will be lethal! having to drive which i hate :sad:

AlanW

Guru
Utter nightmare on the back lanes around Worcestershire at 7am, compacted snow and ice. Even with spiked tyres on the MTB it was near enough impossible to ride any more than just a few yards before having the front wheel wash out and nearly taking me down. :sad:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Ah sorry I hadn't properly read your post above mine, I was more writing about my commute than replying to you.

However, I do totally agree, the novelty did soon wear off. Just made it back O.K. though.

Top Bottom