Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I overtook someone tonight on the bso

They didn’t even have a basket how cool is that !

Last edited:

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Passed a cyclist on the commute tonight with a blue light in his front wheel it certainly stood out! First time I've seen somebody using one, does anyone else on here use them or no someone?

Randombiker9

Sounds like the bus driver didn't check his mirrors. Worth reporting to the bus company.
I did report it to bus company. Yesterday afternoon Dunno if they’ll reply. I only knew the colour and route number of bus. Didn’t catch license plate but still I guess It’s a good idea to report it to bus company because that way they’ll be more careful around cyclists and also hopefully it will prevent it happening to other cyclists.
Why else is it good to report bad drivers too bus company out of interest?

gaijintendo

Veteran
Quite an eventful morning.

Paranoia abounds.

My front brake was on. The adjuster was almost popping off it was so tight.

Every chainring bolt was loose. I thought my chain needed tensioned surprisingly quickly.

Had a toot and a close pass completely unnecessarily from a driver from a stationary start at some lights. He started in the other lane.

And I got a heckle for setting off early at a red light, from a well to do cyclist, but I was just in the green box, taking a track stand.

They seemed very nice after I explained my tedious reasoning for taking a track stand, and not the type to sabotage my bike.

Don't jump reds guys.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As I'm now a trainwanker, with a Bromton. The train guard asked who the bike belong to in the luggage rack?. Now.. me.. sitting next to the bike.. lycrad up and in cycling gear. The guard asked me if I knew who owned the bike :wacko:.
I said... can you tell? She looked me up and down and asked, Is it you then? :wacko: She was just making sure... of course.

On another note, a numpty cyclist caused me to do an emergency stop as he overtook and cut in front of me just as a bus was stopping. I said to him that what he did was really shiity behaviour. He did apologise saying that he didn't realise I was going so fast on the Bromton.

Brompton's do have good brakes thank gawd.

John_S

Über Member
It was an exhausting commute this morning.

I turned onto a road not too far behind another cyclist and seeing as I was running a bit late for work (due to the kids lego advent calendar bits flying all over the place after my son ripped open the packet) and so I thought I'd use the cyclist ahead as a good way to try and up my pace and get to work on time.

However the person ahead of me was going a good 2-3 miles per hour faster than I'd normally comfortably sit at. After about a mile and a half I did nearly catch them before a junction caused me to lose them a bit. But after that I did catch them up and some lights and had a nice chat with them. At that point just after the lights I thought that I'd try my best to stick with them but it was immediately into going up a hill. I did stay with them up the hill but it was faster than I was comfortable with and at the top of the hill I was very glad when our respective journeys to work went in different directions because at this point I was unable to talk and feeling like I might be sick.

I should have just known my limits and not even tried to catch them in the first place. However I did end up getting to work on time which was good.

The annoying thing was that by the time I got to work I noticed that a part of my mudguard has snapped. Clearly upping my average speed by a mile or two was a bridge too far for the mudguards who never before had experienced such speed.

hoppym27

This morning I thought a rat ran in front of me on the towpath...imagine my relief when it turned out to just be a bird...phew!

dhd.evans

Veteran
I got SMIDSY'd this morning.

Chap coming out from a junction (with no main beams on might i add) on my right just pulled out on top me, clattered into me. Managed to keep upright but the bike took a whack. Shifter knocked in 90 degrees, chain taken a hit. The chap was apologetic and tempered but classic SMIDSY responses; did verbally agreed to pay for repairs and i have a contact name and number. Left me shaken up and I lost my composure a few minutes later trying to get my glove back on (right?). Two folk stopped by to see if i was alright which was pleasant, at least shows some compassion from motorists!

Out this arvo on a utility ride (kids' Christmas presents) so will assess damage then and take it into the shop for a quick once-over, i'm assuming it'll be nothing untoward but rather the check than ride some dangerous.

Video fun below:

Edit: Better video quality once I alter the colour values...

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
This morning I thought a rat ran in front of me on the towpath...imagine my relief when it turned out to just be a bird...phew!

I get a handful of rats mainly during my evening commute as I have a number of miles through the harbour estate and along the shore front. The chaps can be a brave size too!

subaqua

What’s the point
not Today but yesterday .

ignorant self absorbed whankeurs at Cambridge station.

if the trains have been cancelled then dont barge in front of me saying " you should Farkin ride home not block the train up " or you will get taken to task .

i had been waiting for 2.5 hours not just waltzed in like you.

Irony is with the wait and the further delays riding home to London would ha been bloomin quicker , but i was not up for a 50 miler in the dark at the end of the day

Top Bottom