Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A bit late posting this but got knocked off on my way home on Monday night! Still in hospital and bike is with the police, I think it might be a write-off! My beloved carbon GT Grade :cry:
Sorry to read this. Get well soon!

si_c

Guru
No filtering here. I would have been central in the lane, following other cars through the junction. My guess is that the driver that hit me simply did not expect a cyclist to be travelling in the line at similar speeds to the rest of the traffic.

More than likely, doesn't make it any more excusable though.

Blimey Skolly, grim news. You can be an honorary member of the, fractured skull coming off a bike, club now. I don't want to join the broken neck club though, thanks.

13 rider

Guru
Wow that wind is biting . Coming home tonight blowing me across the road. Dry main roads tonight this morning was slightly dodgy . I'm riding my roadie with 23mm tyres as the commuter with 40mm tyres is it the Lbs having some bearings replaced so bit more unsure about road conditions

No precipitation today and a high of -6. These warmer temperatures are causing me an issue, as the temperature raises the humidity increases and the roads get slippery much more so than normal, also the bicycle gets so much more slop on it.
21 items?!

Base layer (upper), mid layer, jacket
Base layer (lower), thermal leggings/trousers
Glove liners, merino gloves
Balaclava, glasses (+ helmet if desired)
Thermal socks, winter boots, or shoes + overshoes

That's a maximum of 12 pieces, in this weather I'd be OK deducting the leg base layer if I wasn't planning on being stationary for long.

I was nice and toasty this morning, my toes got a bit numb right at the end, could have done with another pair of socks on, otherwise all good! If you get the weighting of the base layers, socks and gloves right you should be fine!

I know you are dealing with significantly more Humidity than I, and humidity makes a world of difference in terms of thermal conductivity and grip.
But at -25 C and a strong wind I go with:

Long sleeve base layer
Long sleeve winter jersey
Winter cycling jacket with a wind breaking layer

Gore tex boots
ski socks
bib tights
heavy winter bib tights (no chamois)
Balaclava
Ski helmet with googles
Lobster claw gloves

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Well I'm glad that wind was behind me for most of the journey home. Traffic lighter was than I was expecting and with the wind, I was very comfortably reaching 25 mph on some sections. A couple of cyclists came towards me on a cycle lane and they were clearly having an unpleasant experience in the cold. I hadn't appreciated just how unpleasant until on an open countryside road, the wind hit me from the side and it was biting on exposed flesh.
Garmin said -1.5, but when I got changed and went out in the car for a chippy tea for child 2 and me as a treat, car was saying -3.5..

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Today’s weather was shall we say “changeable” !

Attachments

• B570819A-2D7B-46D5-820D-BA7B1685B579.jpeg
    B570819A-2D7B-46D5-820D-BA7B1685B579.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 7868267C-81CF-45F5-BCBF-E69790029F8A.jpeg
    7868267C-81CF-45F5-BCBF-E69790029F8A.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom