Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Had to walk the hundred yards on the road outside work to get to a busy road due to compacted snow . Most of the roads ok except ever field gate where the wind had blown snow across the roads . Steadyish ride home on the roadie .

Randombiker9

i havent been cycling due to snow not too much and roads are gritted but there's still a bit of snow on roads even though most is cleared but i just don't risk cycling when there's been snow or ice.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm sticking to the main roads on the way home later this evening. Coming in earlier on the MTB, I thought I'd take the bridleway & back roads which were fun on Tuesday - only to be foiled turning on to the bridleway by a 2ft deep snow drift which seemed to go on for some distance to the next tree line so I turned back to the clear main road.

Then I made the mistake of turning on to Gulpher Road which was clear at the start, but there more snow drifts where the open fields began. Vehicles had cleared a bit of a path, but the powdery nature of the snow gave no grip and progress was slow - including walking one bit carrying my bike round a stuck car. Towards the end of the road, hedges had blocked the snow, but this only exposed polished sheet ice with a thin layer of snow on top.

Add in strong, gusty side winds and the 8 miles in today took longer than the normal 12 miles or so that I normally do!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Quite good on the way home, not much traffic and what there was was travelling at an appropriate speed for once.

Only bad bit is I had to give the bike a good skoosh with hot soapy water to get all the brown slush off, by the time I was done I couldn't feel my fingers.

si_c

Guru
Left work a little later again, so not too much traffic. Gusty from the side in places, I was wobbling a bit, so took primary the whole way home.

Not too cold this evening, I felt warmer anyway.

Today I took the bus...
yesterday was awful, going in was okay, powder snow, etc but coming home the second half of the Busway was just an ice rink. When I got the end, my front light was not working, so I had to walk from town to home. When I reached the end f the Busway, my hands were so cold I could not move them, I could not grip the handle bars anymore. So I had to walk, and when I got home and my wife pulled the gloves off they were just frozen. As they warmed up they stung so much, like they had been in a fire, I felt sick with the pain of it, really weird.

That was enough for me to say sod it and get the bus, I hate to give up, but I am fitting my kitchen in 2 weeks and cant afford to come off and damage myself. So as much as I hate giving in, it was the most sensible thing to do.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Swapped the Mtb for a pr of walking boots this morning , it was a nice brisk walk this morning , a lot of the footpaths have just a very thin layer of snow and are fine to walk on , other bits are about 2 or 3 inches deep then a small majority where there is no covering are icy where people have walked on it and crushed the snow . Main road out of town is slushy but good tracks going either way , smaller estate roads are same as outside the house but with just deeper snow in places .

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Nasty ride in this morning with the added dick factor from a BMW X-5 driver ( How odd :whistle: ) who obviously could not understand the physics of strong winds and cyclists with added dodging potholes........strangely after a few words through his safety box he did not want to stop,tosser ! Be careful out there,the wind is more dangerous than the snow

si_c

Guru
Pretty grim on the way in this morning, headwind was bad enough, but the gusts from the side, particularly when passing side streets, were less than enjoyable. Took primary all the way in, and needed it on a few occasions when the front wheel was getting pushed into the middle of the road.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Enjoyed the ride home last night. I took the mountain bike with fairly chunky tyres. It was quite good fun controlling the odd skids. It was also very quiet on what is normally a very busy main road. 2 reasons:

1. Less cars
2. Snow tends to absorb the sounds.

On the way in this morning the snow was more impacted. I had to concentrate more to avoid slipping. Also a lot more black slush around.

Top Bottom