Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Back on the commute today for the first time in a week... and what a palaver.

The train before my normal service was cancelled, so thought to myself, OK my one will be packed best take the Brompton. But I though feck it, i'm in no rush to get into the office, I will get the next train after my normal one and take the big boys bike.
Cycled to the station (and very nice it was being on the bike for the first time in a week ) checked the indicator board and it said that the train was only 4 carriages rather then the usual 8. Bollix, that means the train will be very busy and may not be about to get the bike on.
Luckily I did, there was 2 bikes on the train already but managed to squeeze it into the bike space. Another bike squeezed on at the next stop along with loads of passengers. It was a bit tricky getting the bike off at Bromley but managed to do so with lots of friendly excuse me's.

The ride is was really good, not too cold and very little wind. The roads were pretty mucky from all last weeks snow and snow melt, but it was an enjoyable ride in never the less.

Fingers crossed for a better train service this evening.

si_c

Guru
Got up this morning, no rain, roads looked damp but clear. No visible wind from the house. Great.

Got halfway in and couldn't seem to get anywhere, like riding through treacle. Checked the wheels, and the brakes weren't binding, so no that. No clue tbh. Just tired now. :wacko::banghead:

Sixmile

Veteran
Back on the commute after skipping Thursday and Friday. After 4 full days without riding the legs definitely thanked me. Unusually I had a few close passes this morning, one by a HGV when the oncoming Land Rover had to stop completely to let the lorry round me. Second was a diesel milk float with some young buck driving it with no milk in the back. I have been reliably informed that my Fly 6 has arrived this morning at home!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Was nice to commute both ways in daylight. Tempted by riding tomorrow or Wednesday before tailing off for the weekend. Not got enough miles in my legs to do much more!

Make sure you keep yourself fit for Sunday

Slick

Guru
Feeling like crap, both in and home today felt like way to much effort. Thought I'd broken the back of this cold, but it's just started kicking me in the balls again.
That's the way it seems to work, every time I thought I'd got over it, it would hit me again. I've had a good lay off now, not worth pushing through that.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Bit of fun on the way home this afternoon - tucked in behind a Mercedes Estate that was slow pulling away from traffic lights at a set of crossroads to create a safe zone where a car couldn't take the space and squeeze me out where the road narows on the other side and sat in the same position for the next mile & a bit slipstreaming it. Harder work than following a bus or van, but better visibilty.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Heavy rain over night meant a local road flooded as usual, with about 10 metres of water to coast through legs akimbo. Fun as a child and occasionally as an adult, but getting a bit wearing now.
Spitting rain for the journey, but even after over an hour, not enough to be damp with, although overshoes took a soaking from the road spray.
Broke up the otherwise unremarkable journey by the game of sprinting or easing off, to see how many junction traffic lights I could get through on green. 27/30.
Half a dozen other cyclists, all lit up.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Wind at my back all the way in, rain in my face and back. Last night's ride home was a miserable, wet, cold slog. Averaged 13mph over the 7mi.

Oh, and this dolt this morning:

What makes this one funny is the sheer lack of awareness. The driver first came on my radar when she tried to overtake coming out me at the start of my ride (not in video) into oncoming traffic; she had to slam the brakes on to avoid the car on the other side of the road (which mounted the kerb out of fear). From the start of this video i am aware of the car being less than a few feet off my rear wheel so keep tabs. Assumed as she came up my right hand side she was turning into the junction; not so. Attempts an overtake on a blind corner and squeezes me into the gutter then narrowly misses the taxi that is pulling in. Also not on video is the driver applying blusher and other makeup at the traffic lights down the road whilst the lights turns from red to green (holding up traffic) and the apology i then elicited when i asked her to keep her distance. Not a malicious driver but certainly needs to up her awareness on the road.

Top Bottom