Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
A bit late posting this but got knocked off on my way home on Monday night! Still in hospital and bike is with the police, I think it might be a write-off! My beloved carbon GT Grade :cry:
Really sorry to hear that, GWS and take it easy!

Hope it's not serious for you bud, what's up? I don't wear a helmet but a mate at work keeps badgering me about it. He's a very accomplished rider who competes too. He's had 3 off in the last 3-4 years where he's hit his head. One where a car pulled across him while he was at 20mph and he flew over the bonnet hitting his head on the windscreen. And recently a pedestrian stepped out into his path from between cars. He hit the deck and was unconscious for 90 seconds and didn't know where he was or why when he came round.

He's making me think.
Me too-I've had a few offs where I wouldn't have wanted to find out what would have happened without a helmet.

I'm fine. Fractured skull and neck broken in two places but my dashing good looks survived!
Ouch...that's something anyway.

Nasty ride in this morning with the added dick factor from a BMW X-5 driver ( How odd :whistle: ) who obviously could not understand the physics of strong winds and cyclists with added dodging potholes........strangely after a few words through his safety box he did not want to stop,tosser ! Be careful out there,the wind is more dangerous than the snow
Vorsprung durch technik rubekopf as they say in Germany ...
Take care and ride safe y'all!

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Attempted to cycle to work yesterday but was thwarted by the conditions on the roads..... I was doing okay until the cycle lanes ran out !!!

IMG_20180301_165853.jpg
IMG_20180301_170004.jpg
IMG_20180301_180959.png

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Amazing, no commute today- site was closed even though there wasn't much snow, presumably what was there froze overnight and made the conditions on site hazardous so only essential staff (I'm not) were expected onsite. Worked from home, went for lunch with Ms. P at the Japanese place in the converted shipping container (like everything else is nowdays) in town, had a beer while working on boring old Powerpoints in the afternoon.

Also colleagues were pinging me on Skype quite a lot- didn't realize exactly how much technical support I offer my colleagues! generally they just come looking for me. Must try to be more surly in future.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Decided to use the Spa Elan and stick to the main (clear) roads today, but had to walk the first 1/4 mile as all the roads to get to the High Street were polished sheet ice - as I found out last night when the MTB front wheel went from under me as I crossed the road to my house at less than walking pace!

Still a bitterly cold wind with proper snow starting yet again just after I got home this afternoon.

13 rider

Guru
I have to confess used the car this morning . Fresh snow over night and roads looked to iffy not sure if fresh snow was sitting on frozen stuff underneath so bailed on the bike first time this year .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have to confess used the car this morning . Fresh snow over night and roads looked to iffy not sure if fresh snow was sitting on frozen stuff underneath so bailed on the bike first time this year .
TBH i used the car all last week , snow drifts across the lanes along with compacted snow meant even the A38 was a 20 mph job max for safe driving , guy i gave a lift too had to push the car past the Chesterfield arms in Newhall and had to dig up the hill to my house .
Coming home 3.30 am it was 1st gear all the ways down the hill into my village.
Feeling fat and grumpy because i havent done anything, trouble is night shift i get up and veg in front of the TV as i just feel meh with lack of sleep and body clock blues so unless i commute i dont have the motivation to ride .

13 rider

Guru
TBH i used the car all last week , snow drifts across the lanes along with compacted snow meant even the A38 was a 20 mph job max for safe driving , guy i gave a lift too had to push the car past the Chesterfield arms in Newhall and had to dig up the hill to my house .
Feeling fat and grumpy because i havent done anything, trouble is night shift i get up and veg in front of the TV as i just feel meh with lack of sleep and body clock blues so unless i commute i dont have the motivation to ride .
Hopefully that's the worst of the weather and we can get back into the routine :bicycle:

Slick

Guru
Yeah, pretty much the same here. Looking forward to seeing the back of winter to start building up a head of steam once again.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nice to be back on the bike today, snow gone, ice gone. Commute extended to 11 miles. New bike lockers have been installed, so bike in one of them today instead of usual Sheffield stands. Must remember that at going home time....

Reactions: mjr

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Very strange. Arm out of a bedroom window left me undecided about whether it was one base layer or two. Opted for two and at the beginning was glad I did. The wrong side of cool and definitely buff around the face. About 8 miles in was just right and buff down. By the time I hit town, any more miles and it would have been layers off.
Hopes were raised of a first time clean sweep, or almost clean sweep of junction lights on green as I got to fifteen without stopping; then it all fell badly apart for the last ten or so. :sad: On the subject of which, whilst I regularly see yoofs RLJing, dressed in black, riding black bikes with no lights, or lights with the output of an extinguished candle, this morning was first for an RLJer. Some guy really made himself stand out. Reflective top and bottoms, both with additional reflective strips; helmet with flashing red and blue lights and bright lights over the back and front of his bike, totally ignoring red lights. Found myself wishing he had stayed with me longer, so he could have met the minibus RLJer a couple of miles after we parted.
Bonus was being not too far from home and seeing an owl for the first time in the dark of a morning commute.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
3.30am the roads were clear but it was -5 and so I drove the 20km to work.

Im glad I did. 9am now and more snow to come.

Attachments

• 20180305_090007.jpg
    20180305_090007.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom