Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Two close passes today from the same driver. We supposedly passed each other a few more times according to her... when we both arrived at work.

We live nearby, we work nearby... We are what should vaguely constitute members of a community.

She said there wasn't much space. Agreed.

She tried to explain that cyclists should have to pay, but hadn't memorised the rest of the argument, so stopped... I asked if she meant with our lives.

Not sure what to do about this. Via HR, police, or hope that my saying "please" as my final word when she said she'd think about being more patient might work.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Nice dry sunny commute this morning. Slight headwind, but not too bad. Definitely starting to get over this cold a bit now, cough notwithstanding. One dopey git from a local gas fitting company tried pulling out in front of me from a side road as I was filtering up the inside of traffic. Asked him what the fsck he was doing, apparently looking dopey was all he had.

Sixmile

Veteran
Nice dry albeit a little overcast with a wee headwind. It'll be nice if it stays that way all day and I get a little help home.

Only issue this morning was I was doing around 22mph on a dual lane 30mph stretch out of one of the towns. I was keeping up with the traffic and had left myself about a car and a half space from the car in front. Some bloke in a BM decides he's having it and pulls in in front of me. I passed him a matter of seconds later when I pulled out into the outside lane as I seen the inside lane had stopped up ahead. Gave him some 'any chance ye big buck eejit ye?!' as I passed. He doesn't care but it done me the world of good.

rivers

How far can I go?
I picked up my summer bike from service this morning. I was going to pick up the winter bike, but they forgot to put a new cassette on the wheels (I was having quite a bit of work done and wheels swapped about). It's sunny and spring-like so I figured the summer bike could come out to play. My new wheels were put on and they are lovely. Short spin into work in the sunshine. Looking forward to my ride home

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Miserable grey day with drizzle both ways and got caught out by how cold it was this morning with the wrong gloves.

After work, I had to take the car to Ipswich ready for its MOT & service tomorrow so stuck the bike in the boot and rode home trying to beat a fast approaching shower line (failed by 30 seconds).

Just out of interest @ianrauk - what do you classify as a wet commute? Proper rain, drizzle or just a few spots?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Heal well are you in Manchester ? Like @fossyant ? Sounds similar to his accident

Very similar to mine. Legal case still going on but we have had to agree on 90% him/10% me as they were waving all the recent case law with motorbikes etc etc being 50/50 at best. We sent back some evidence, so agreed on 90/10 - I can live with that as an unstable spinal fracture is serious ! Spoke to Skolly a few days ago and it's very similar to mine. Idiots in cars again....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Miserable grey day with drizzle both ways and got caught out by how cold it was this morning with the wrong gloves.

After work, I had to take the car to Ipswich ready for its MOT & service tomorrow so stuck the bike in the boot and rode home trying to beat a fast approaching shower line (failed by 30 seconds).

Just out of interest @ianrauk - what do you classify as a wet commute? Proper rain, drizzle or just a few spots?
If I get wet it's a rain commute. So anything from light mizzle to stronger and/or heavier.

Sixmile

Veteran
After a really fast Monday, a fast Tuesday, an average Wednesday it was 'recovery ride' Thursday. Pretty close to fantastic conditions although I'd take a degree or two of extra warmth just to drop the big gloves as I was too sweaty half an hour in.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The rain was hammering against the windows at 6.30am this morning, it looked really vile out. Not a cycle commute to enjoy. So my plan was to cycle to the closest station a mile away rather then the station I normally board at 4 and half miles.
I left the house at 7.10am to sunny clear blue skies. Mad... so the longer commute it was.

si_c

Guru
Woke up at half six to Mrs C telling me it'd been snowing overnight - it was supposed to be around 3° overnight too! Still snowing when I left, but the roads were just soaked in snowmelt. By the time I'd reached work the snow had given way to heavy rain, and I was soaked through.

Currently using three large radiators around the office to dry things off.

Top Bottom