Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Nice weather in this morning, not raining, although the road was still damp. Bit of frost out.

It's been weather like this that was making me think it might be back to short sleeve jerseys and shorts soon, but then it snowed.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Much Friday leg, such sore, very tire. 13.8mph average.

clf

Back on the bike after a couple of years off, feels good, roads are noticeably worse now, and driving standards have not improved in the slightest, 1 ridiculous close pass and abuse this morning, one close pass sans abuse from a tipper driver.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Back on the bike after a couple of years off, feels good, roads are noticeably worse now, and driving standards have not improved in the slightest, 1 ridiculous close pass and abuse this morning, one close pass sans abuse from a tipper driver.

How come so long @clf
Good to have you back on the cycle commute.

clf

I was working a bit too far away to cycle, got a job a bit more local again now, it really is great to be back on it, it's taken a couple of weeks to get back in the swing of things again, right kit, correct clothing etc..

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Something i forgot to mention. When went to the pharmacy and came out of park shortcut i noticed there was a Highway matience van in the way but there were no signs but i noticed something was weird as it was wet where it normally isn't. But there was something like a flat blue hose in the way and it was wet. i can't bunny hop as i can't pedal whilst standing due to hypotonia. So my tires went over it and it was fine as i have a hybrid. But this could of caused a hazard especially for some of you who have road bikes which are skinner. Shouldn't they the Highway matience put something up as a warning as you could see till you get past the van plus there van was blocking a lane. Whats your opinion of that?

If you thought there was a risk which hadn't been addressed, you would probably need to have made a note of the contractor's name, the time and what was going on, ideally pictures and take it from there. Water stuff, United Utilities (at least around here). gas, Transco (I think), electricity, National Grid, but they all seem to use subcontractors. Not sure if Local Authority approval is needed to block a lane. I would be surprised if it wasn't, but for emergency repairs that is likely to be waived.

Randombiker9

If you thought there was a risk which hadn't been addressed, you would probably need to have made a note of the contractor's name, the time and what was going on, ideally pictures and take it from there. Water stuff, United Utilities (at least around here). gas, Transco (I think), electricity, National Grid, but they all seem to use subcontractors. Not sure if Local Authority approval is needed to block a lane. I would be surprised if it wasn't, but for emergency repairs that is likely to be waived.

I dunno how it works, So thats why i never bother to take notes as i wouldn't want to cause an argument. i dunno if there's different rules but perhaps because it's near a .park where not many motor veichles come down. Perhaps they don't need to put warnings up?. As i said i dunno. Also how would you know if companies use subcontractors etc...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I dunno how it works, So thats why i never bother to take notes as i wouldn't want to cause an argument. i dunno if there's different rules but perhaps because it's near a .park where not many motor veichles come down. Perhaps they don't need to put warnings up?. As i said i dunno. Also how would you know if companies use subcontractors etc...

There is no need to create an argument with the contractors/subcontractors. I don't know where the pipe/hose you crossed was, or its size or position on the ground, but something getting crossed by a bike, potentially could be crossed by pedestrians; people with impaired sight are particularly at risk. Your reference to a park might also suggest more regular use by pedestrians.
So if I come across an "obstruction", (to use the term very loosely), on a cycle path/lane, or where I am cycling, my thought process revolves around the effect, or potential effect on the following in descending order; me on my bike, other cyclists who might be unfamiliar with the road, pedestrians, (sighted and visually impaired), motor cyclists, cars.
As to companies using subcontractors, if the work was being conducted on a public highway, it is wasn't clear what work was being carried out, just contact the local authority. So far as I am aware, digging up a public highway requires a licence. The LA may be able to tell you who applied for the licence leaving you to contact them directly.
An alternative method I have successfully used for my own LA and with Salford Council is to use the on line "report a problem". I have used it many times for my own LA and a couple of times with Salford. - For example, towards the end of last year, I reported a building site which erected plastic barriers in a cycle lane and then used the lane as a convenient overflow for several tonnes of building materials. I suspected that had probably not been approved and think I was probably correct as it was all shifted on the day of reporting. The online reporting also has the benefit (IME), that the council will quickly tell you if the problem you have reported is not on public land.

Randombiker9

There is no need to create an argument with the contractors/subcontractors. I don't know where the pipe/hose you crossed was, or its size or position on the ground, but something getting crossed by a bike, potentially could be crossed by pedestrians; people with impaired sight are particularly at risk. Your reference to a park might also suggest more regular use by pedestrians.
So if I come across an "obstruction", (to use the term very loosely), on a cycle path/lane, or where I am cycling, my thought process revolves around the effect, or potential effect on the following in descending order; me on my bike, other cyclists who might be unfamiliar with the road, pedestrians, (sighted and visually impaired), motor cyclists, cars.
As to companies using subcontractors, if the work was being conducted on a public highway, it is wasn't clear what work was being carried out, just contact the local authority. So far as I am aware, digging up a public highway requires a licence. The LA may be able to tell you who applied for the licence leaving you to contact them directly.
An alternative method I have successfully used for my own LA and with Salford Council is to use the on line "report a problem". I have used it many times for my own LA and a couple of times with Salford. - For example, towards the end of last year, I reported a building site which erected plastic barriers in a cycle lane and then used the lane as a convenient overflow for several tonnes of building materials. I suspected that had probably not been approved and think I was probably correct as it was all shifted on the day of reporting. The online reporting also has the benefit (IME), that the council will quickly tell you if the problem you have reported is not on public land.
yeah if it's still there tommorow when i cycle around i'll try to deal it. Also noticed near my corner shops one of the houses there always has a highway matience truck (different to the one i saw) parked outside his house so i guess he works in highway matience so i could just ask them as well. If i didn't get an answer when i try to deal with it

Last edited:
Top Bottom