Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Snow is beginning to melt..... puddles forming at corners..... Time sprung forward......
I am so looking forward to getting the road bicycle again, probably another 3 to 4 weeks until the winter "staying" snow is gone.
We normally have one more significant dump of snow in March/early April, we always do.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Set a year-best average speed on my singlespeed - 16mph over the 7.2mi ride. Also watched a dolt on a hybrid Cannondale buzz me at close range, deliberately run a red light and then cut across road and pavement. Hopefully he is not long for this world...

jahlive905

I'm riding in primary position, a man on a boris bike is in front of me, riding in secondary and a bin lorry is in front of him.

The bin lorry begins to indicate left (a bit late, if you ask me) and begins turning into the road on the left. Man on the boris bike, inconvenienced, then immediately pulls out into the middle of the road, to pass the bin lorry on his right. He didn't check behind him before doing this, and unfortunately, as I was in primary and had seen the lorry's movements from a further distance, this is where I was also riding.

We both managed to brake so that a collision didn't happen but it came extremely close. I told him to watch where he was riding and to use his eyes. He proceeded to call me every swear word I can think of.

Shortly after, both going in the same direction, and him still shouting obscenities, we come across a flashing amber light. There was a pedestrian crossing and naturally I stopped to let the ped cross, meanwhile he's behind me shouting at me to go on. I asked him whether he knew the rules of the road.

This agitated him so he proceeded to tell me that he cycles 'thousands more miles a year' than me. I asked him, if that was so, then why didn't he know the rules of the road. He continued to litter his delightful speech with more profanities. I'm glad to say that during the heated exchange, I never once stooped to his level and kept my language PG-rated. I told him it wasn't very mature of him to use so many swear words. He didn't like that.

He stated that it was me in the wrong because I should have known that he was going to pull out and acted accordingly. I told him that I disagreed, that at the speed and position of my riding, that wasn't possible and in any case, he should've slowed down and checked before moving out into the middle of the road. At the next set of traffic lights, I let him go ahead and told him to 'have a good day'.

Polar opposite experience from yesterday where I had a delightful cyclist stop to ask me if I needed help as I was changing a puncture. He went as far as offering to come back to his where I could use his track pump. Just goes to show that at the end of the day, we're all cyclists and we're all people. And in all walks of life, sometimes there are people who are great, kind and friendly, and sometimes there are people who are just daffodils.

Sixmile

Veteran
To be fair the mods just like to keep it PG-rated to help those who litter their delightful speech with profanities. :tongue:

After a day off yesterday, I left the commuter at home and took the road bike this morning as it's warming up ever so slightly in the mornings now. The roads still feel that little bit slippy, especially with so much mud on the roads at the moment. I think it's the first morning this year that I haven't worn my jacket.

rivers

How far can I go?
A bit of a longer commute in today as we stayed at my mother-in-laws last night due to works being done on our bathroom. A lovely 25 miles in the sunshine on the summer bike, that resulted in my getting lost around Nailsea. Stripped back a layer halfway to work. It was the first real test of the new wheels, which are fantastic. I just need to get used to the hub noise now...

Randombiker9

My

:'( My water bottle ran out so i went to shop way home to get another drink. Noticed i dropped my purse went back wasn't there. asked at the till and the staff member had it saying the . previous person hand it in but when i opened only my bank card was in i butt No cash and i had £25 in notes at college lunch time. The staff member checked CCTV. Showed me dropping my purse and woman with young kid picking it up. So i have a feeling she took the cash notes. I dunno what to do :sad:. because i need the cash :sad: any ideas?

Randombiker9

If you need £25 so badly don't buy water from the shop!

Seriously, it's rotten luck but you just need to be more careful with your belongings and put this one down to experience, at least you got your purse and bank card back.

No i meant i was using £5 note for a drink and snack there but i needed to other £20 for a college trip i have in a few days. in total £25 but nothing was in the purse apart from bank card when i got it back :sad:.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I kind of knew what you meant.

What I mean is that if you need that £20 or £25 because that is all the money you have in the world then maybe you shouldn't be spending it buying bottled water from a shop when tap water is (effectively) free. Also if that money is important, maybe you shouldn't be carrying it around school with you?

That money is gone, you can't prove anyone has taken it or if it was even there in the first place. You lost your purse, maybe you also lost the money? I still stand by my advice that you need to be more careful and look after your stuff.

All you can do now is move on and learn from your mistake.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Had some fun on the way home last night:

upload_2018-3-14_8-50-43.png

Climbed the Law hill on the singlespeed and set some PRs!

This morning's weather felt genuinely like spring so may have to get the 'real' bike back together in the next few weeks. Big fondo on the 30th.

bonker

Guru
Thames Water is still digging up the A24/ CS7 in Tooting after the flood. This has dramatically reduced the traffic on the A24 into London for a decent stretch of the journey so if you have been put off that London commute because of the traffic now is the time to give it a go.

You will have to get off and walk the 50 yards past the road works though.

si_c

Guru
Weather was much better today, crosswinds notwithstanding, and I commuted in wearing a short sleeve jersey, shorts and just arm warmers for the first time this year, wasn't even that cold. Definitely time to get out all the spring cycling gear now.

Couple of dozy dickheads driving too close to me, which in 40mph gusting crosswinds is just what you want. I'd have waved my fist at them, but couldn't take my hands off the bars.

Top Bottom