Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Borrowed my son's new winter Carrera Tanneri ii 18/19 bike as my Eastway's in bits and the Wilier needs digging out. At least the bike gets a trial run before he uses it. And use it he will - 46 large chainring and cross tyres means I might be able to keep up :evil:

I like them as well @DCLane , ok not the fastest thing in the garage but certainly smooth ride

John_S

Über Member
This mornings commute was pretty straightforward and uneventful.

Perhaps because of the benign nature of the commute I had time to look at the snow which is still around either where the wind blew it into big drifts or where tractors piled it up at the side of the road in big mounds. I sort of started a mental sweep stake thinking about just how long these piles of snow can last for but it's not the best sweep stake because it's only me playing.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Quite a fast ride in this morning despite the headwind. Having just checked the bike over pre-ride home, looks like the breeze is in my favour for the return journey, which is nice.

Randombiker9

I kind of knew what you meant.

What I mean is that if you need that £20 or £25 because that is all the money you have in the world then maybe you shouldn't be spending it buying bottled water from a shop when tap water is (effectively) free. Also if that money is important, maybe you shouldn't be carrying it around school with you?

That money is gone, you can't prove anyone has taken it or if it was even there in the first place. You lost your purse, maybe you also lost the money? I still stand by my advice that you need to be more careful and look after your stuff.

All you can do now is move on and learn from your mistake.
Thanks i know it was there as i had £30 in total used a £5 note as i forgot my college lunch that day. So yesterday before i cycled home i know i had £25, 2 £10 notes and a £5 and when i reached the store. before i went in i still had the notes as i checked. On the CCTV it did show the woman who picked it up and there was a pause without looking at food/drinks etc.. but you couldn't see what she was doing as her back was turned to the CCTV angle and i didn't get water i got a diet drink because my water bottle ran out because i never buy water because tap waters free.

si_c

Guru
Another damp ride in this morning along with another steady headwind. Roll on summer.

Randombiker9

a bit pissed of at myself
Made a stupid mistake. There was wet mud nearby so i as i was turning my bike skid and i braked whilst skidding which cause me to fall off side ways. People are way too polite in England because people asked if i was alright and i was fine myself. My hoodie was dirty but i just replaced that with my coat as it was nice weather. But i didn't get any cuts or hurt my self i just got a tiny scrape near my elbow and tiny scrape/bruises near knee but other than i'm fine. I checked my bike was working and it was i just had to sort the chain out as it dropped off. I don't think i my helmet touched the ground because i remember i hit my elbow first then put my hand out to avoid hitting my helmet. So I don't think my helmet needs replaceing (Correct me if im wrong). But at least it happen on the path before i got to the road. So at least it didn't happen on the road.
But lesson learnt dont brake if you skid.

Last edited:

dhd.evans

Veteran
Wet and windy. Tried to take a PB (missed by 1 second) where a car tried to overtake, noticed i was torching 30mph and backed off. Good guy BMW 1 series.

This guy though:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The bin lorry begins to indicate left (a bit late, if you ask me) and begins turning into the road on the left. Man on the boris bike, inconvenienced, then immediately pulls out into the middle of the road, to pass the bin lorry on his right. He didn't check behind him before doing this, and unfortunately, as I was in primary and had seen the lorry's movements from a further distance, this is where I was also riding.

We both managed to brake so that a collision didn't happen but it came extremely close.
Well done. That's brilliant.

I told him to watch where he was riding and to use his eyes. [...] I asked him whether he knew the rules of the road. [...] I told him it wasn't very mature of him to use so many swear words.
All of those seem like mistakes, though. (HC rule 147 to avoid snookering yourself like that.)

He stated that it was me in the wrong because I should have known that he was going to pull out and acted accordingly. I told him that I disagreed, that at the speed and position of my riding, that wasn't possible and in any case, he should've slowed down and checked before moving out into the middle of the road.
I think the other guy should have shoulder-checked and ideally signalled before moving right, but you were overtaking so should have left enough room for him to move out, which it sounds like you did but only just.

Top Bottom