Tales from today's commute....

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by martint235, 28 Jun 2012.

1. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Woke up to find Maidstone and it's environs covered in an inch of snow and snowing heavily. Decided to ride to the nearest station and get an earlier train rather then the normal 5 miles to the other station for the later train. The Brompton surprisingly stable in the snow.
    All trains running on time which is a miracle. Got to Bromley and not a snowflake in sight. Nice dry roads and little wind made for a very pleasant ride in to work. Got changed, made myself a cuppa... and now it's snowing - heavily.

2. Ciar

Ciar Über Member

It kinda snowed then stopped and that was it so my ride was uneventful but nice for once, no wind no rain and even though it said feels like -3 it really didn't ^_^

3. Bloody hell,it must be close pass Monday !! Had a load of clowns driving either crappy little rat cars up to HGV's testing my bravery today :evil: Made it to work in one piece and hopefully this is just a clitch in a normally trouble free commute

4. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

I used my Polaris fleecy gloves instead of the Planet X lobsters and paid the price. My fingers were in bother for the first few miles. Roads actually were fine, traffic light and I even managed to get a tow from a tractor for a few miles. There are no farms anywhere near where he was at but I was grateful for the ride.

5. MartinQ

MartinQ Über Member

First commute since the accident in mid-December. No snow, but a bit chilly. Very slow and tiring, but monkey is now officially gone.

6. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Staff Member

Same down South this morning. 3 close passes within 1/2 mile from home coming home from the night shift. Otherwise a nice ride with the wind behind for a change.

7. Randombiker9

Randombiker9 Well-Known Member

One way back had close call with a car driver

I was taking up middle of the road as it was narrow due to parked cars glanced over before taking over it was clear and then when I took up lane a car honked and and close passed me forcing me nearer to the parked cars by a primary school and then when e pulled in after overtaking he braked suddenly (luckily i still stopped in time) i also noticed the window was open and he had a cigarette in his hand so he was probably smoking whilst driving. (There was a honk from a different car just before this happend probs same driver though) and

Ugh stupid drivers sometimes

ps i might of got his lisence plate wrong but i don't think i did. YB5N YNZ

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
    skudupnorth likes this.
  8. Randombiker9

Randombiker9 Well-Known Member

I get used to close passes but not like ones that are very close and stupid drivers like above.

skudupnorth likes this.
  9. Normally have the odd pass but not as daft as the ones I had today. HGV’s normally give loads of room but not today !! Let’s hope for a calm Tuesday

10. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Punishment pass last night on the way home. Local narrow 30 mph road, with cars parked on the opposite side, so took the lane. Car behind took exception, as twice he noisily accelerated and braked hard just behind me. I moved over when the road was clear and got a second gear thrash about a foot from my side. Don't have a bike camera, but the idiot's estate car was covered in his employer's advertising. Reported it to them, but expect it will find its way into the round filing cabinet.

Surprisingly chilly this morning considering there was no frost about Had to maintain a decent pace just to keep the warmth levels up. Hope I'm not coming down with a bug.

After so many days of riding with the wind in my face at some stage, this morning in particular felt really strange riding in still air.

11. ianrauk

It was mighty chilly this morning. The temps were hovering just above 0° this morning when I left home at 7.15am.

At least.. the roads are nice and dry.

12. palinurus

palinurus Guru

Sunset is at 16:58 (London) today
    17:00 tomorrow.

mgs315 likes this.
  13. ianrauk

nice.....
    'tis much lighter in the mornings now too. I'm getting to the station in the light now.

14. si_c

si_c Über Member

As I left it had just started snowing - not sticking though. Took it easy riding in though as the big ring needs replacing so I can't put too much torque on it. Made for a totally different ride in, nice and pleasant.

15. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

After clearing quite a bit of snow off of my car, I was starting to wonder if riding this morning was a good idea. Since I'm heading to a friends house after work tonight, I drove to his place and left my car there, with all my stuff for later. Got the bike out and bar a little bit of frost, the cycle paths were clear. So many people drive from his area into Belfast, sitting in queues maybe 1/2 or a mile long in places when there is a flat 8 mile cycleway all the way into town. As I was riding I was thinking that it's a total no brainer to cycle from there and about what a sight it'd be if those hundreds of cars that I passed instead were all bikes, heading into Belfast on a crisp winter morning. Back down to earth though, this morning I didn't see one other cyclist.

Maverick Goose likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice