Tales from today's commute....

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by martint235, 28 Jun 2012.

1. J1888

J1888 Über Member

In from SW London into town...not really cold, but fark me, what a head/cross-wind all the way in. Energy-sapping (recovering from a cold) doesn't even begin to describe it, even going downhill was a chore.

2. bonker

bonker Über Member

Had the same yesterday going into town from Surrey. You will be rewarded at the end of the day. If your ride home is anything like mine yesterday it will be a blast.

3. J1888

J1888 Über Member

:laugh: Unfortunately, I'll be continuing in the same direction on the way home - was coming in from my folks this morning, but I'm other side of the river!!

mjr likes this.
  4. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

A had an uncharacteristic full week off the pedals due in part to too much wind last week. Back on the commute this morning and it was chilly but I'd got the layers spot on. I almost got cleaned within 300 yards of my house by a lady in a yellow SUV (better visibility you see..) coming out of a give way junction into my path. She did acknowledge her error with the 'I'm sorry I almost knocked you over' hand in the air.

Picture1.jpg

5. J1888

J1888 Über Member

Farkin hell, same headwin on the way home. Only 5 miles but what an energy sapping, demoralising experience - every pedal stroke a chore, relentless wind for nearly the whole journey.

6. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Blimey, now beginning to feel guilty about enjoying my ride last night and this morning.

classic33, Maverick Goose and John_S like this.
  7. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Aha....Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed my cycle commute today. Except for the mucky bike bit.

John_S and Bazzer like this.
  8. Bazzer

Very hard air frost at home this morning and the frost was evident on parked cars for about 10 miles.

Witness to a car incident this morning. Riding an unlit rural road a little over a couple of miles from home. A car passed me around 60 metres before a sharp bend. It then ploughed into a line of chevrons indicating said sharp bend. There then followed a shower of sparks, followed by a remarkably neat felling of an electricity pole, complete with wires, across both carriageways. The driver, a man in his late 20s/early 30s managed to open one of the car doors and clambered out of the ditch his now steaming car had ended up in.
    The driver seemed to be shaken more than anything, as after blaming ice on the road, (the roads were dry :whistle:), he was quickly on the 'phone, not to the emergency services but to a friend or relative. Using the bike lights and some vigorous waving managed to stop a car travelling uncomfortably fast in the same direction from hitting the electricity pole. A car which had been coming from the opposite direction seems to have seen the shower of sparks and had stopped before the electricity pole.
    Both carriageways blocked and vehicles acting as buffers; driver shaken but seemingly otherwise OK, nothing more to do except carefully pick my way over the leccy wires and carry on.
    Suspect speeding. The road has various speed limits, 30, 40 and 50 The incident was in the 40 mph zone, but being passed on that road by cars which are clearly exceeding the speed limit is so common it no longer registers with me.

gaijintendo likes this.
  9. John_S

John_S Senior Member

Morning Bazzer, glad to hear that not only the driver was unhurt (apart from being a bit shaken) but also glad that their driving didn't end up taking you out at the same time during the accident.

I have to say that there was nothing nearly as eventful as that on my commute today. In fact it was a lovely ride into work and a great morning to be on the bike!

It was a little bit chilly at about -1 with a frost on the fields and gardens wither side of the road but the road was dry and it was lovely and sunny without too much wind so I really enjoyed this mornings ride. I do have a problem with the shifting on my Shimano Alfine IGH at the moment so I'm riding singly speed for now but that just meant it was a nice leisurely ride into work and I just took in my surroundings on a beautiful morning.

Maverick Goose likes this.
  10. dhd.evans

dhd.evans Über Member

Hell of a slog this morning, not sure why. Body just wasn't having it...

11. Bazzer

Yes if I had been a few seconds faster things could have been different, but I wasn't, so no harm done.
    Sounds callous, but given he had created the incident himself and and no one else was involved, my first thoughts were I hope the driver gets them self out of the car as I don't fancy climbing down the ditch wearing cleats. And if they do, I hope there is nothing obviously broken etc., as it's a bit cold to be hanging around for an ambulance and the police. Then got a bit twitchy trying to stop the following car from hitting the pole now lying across the road.

12. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

Rode home via a friends house last night. He hasn't been out on his bike since last Summer but since he's part of our group who always meet up on a Tuesday night I suggested riding with him to mine and I'd drive on to our friends house afterwards. He was like a big kid when I called at his place, dressed for a summers day (too few layers it transpired!), his mountain bike with a years dirt caked onto it with soft tyres but we did 10 miles to mine and he was buzzing afterwards. It extended my homeward commute to around 17 miles and looks like it's something he'd like to do again next week but longer.

13. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Really enjoyed my cycle today - my commuter front hub is loose, so I'm using a lighter-wheeled tourer wheel. It's like a holiday from the Marathon plusses.

On the way home I was overtaken on a brow of a hill and the van driver almost came unstuck. He then decided to punish me for his own stupidity by needlessly stopping about half a dozen times after he got in front. Would have otherwise been a fast downhill. Thankfully I give drivers who reveal themselves as reckless plenty of room to muck up. Proved to be a wise move!

skudupnorth likes this.
  14. aferris2

aferris2 Über Member

Was looking forward to the comute today. Rear gear hanger thought otherwise.
    026.jpg
    First drive into work this year.

si_c, Sixmile and dhd.evans like this.
  15. Bazzer

Hard work tonight.
    Left work and discovered the fairy had visited my back tyre. Tried to limp home, but suspected 17 miles would be pushing it and after two inflates and having travelled may be three miles, knew it was a lost cause, Found the offending object, not even sure what it was, but it was bloody sharp and could only be extracted from the marathons with leatherman pliers. Old tube in the bike bag and new one fitted.
    Ride home was almost entirely into the wind, which was unpleasant after recent homeward bound journeys and a little too much on the cool side. Legs felt drained by the time I arrived home, which is the second consecutive night of this effect.Hoping it's just a hangover from a recent bug.
    Car from the morning's incident had been removed and the felled wooden pole, dragged to the grass verge.
    Bonus was seeing a group of 7 hen pheasants and a nearby cock bird.

overmind likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice