Tales from today's commute....

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by martint235, 28 Jun 2012.

1. Dec66

Dec66 Veteran

Think I came across someone either having his bike nicked, or somebody who'd tried to have it nicked, in Dulwich Village of all places at about 5.30 to 5.45 tonight, don't know if anyone one here saw what happened?

There was a minibus bumped onto the pavement on the wrong side of the road, a fella with an orangey bike being talked to by a few people, and three halfwits heading the other way, one on a bike, one on a bike and holding another with no rider on (until the third jumped on it).

Something very odd happening, I didn't stop as there were loads of people involved anyway and there didn't seem much point in my adding to the throng.

2. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

No snow here in Melbourne. All I have to put up with daily is the worst drivers in the world. I wish I could afford to leave this messed-up cyclist-hating country. :sad:

3. Randombiker9

Randombiker9 Well-Known Member

I thought people didn't mind cyclists in Australlia.

4. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this......

What kind of pedal?
    I'm thinking of M9000 XTR for my next bike (purely for the bling, I'm sure they won't perform any better than XT SPD) but have read many tales of failure on the older versions so now a bit worried in case the M9000s are the same but the stories haven't hit the web yet.

5. si_c

si_c Veteran

Boardman MTB pro. Decent pedal for the price (£23), but there is supposed to be a bolt that you undo to grease the bearings, I didn't realise that it had come off. Could also have been damaged at some point being fair as I've come off a few times over the last year.

Either way it's done about 10k km without me even looking at it.

I like Skol likes this.
  6. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Pleasant journey home last night. Wind behind me most of the way, the sun trying to cough some UV on me and seemed to catch the traffic just right as for the most part, it was lighter than usual.

This morning was probably the best ride for about a month. Darkness, (at least to begin with), no wind, cool and no black ice. Even the traffic light fairies smiled on me as I only had to stop at 29 and 30 out of 30.

Maverick Goose and si_c like this.
  7. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

It's well known as a cycle hating country.

8. ianrauk

I've been using those pedals on both my commuter/tourer and leisure bikes for years. The reason I like them is that you can take out the spindles to change the grease in them. OK.. and the bling :okay:

Maverick Goose and si_c like this.
  9. ianrauk

Cold and bleedin' headwind this morning. There was a little bit of drizzle in the air but not too much to get the clothes wet.
    The first mile of my morning commute is a mile and a half downhill trot. It passes a huge new housing development and a quarry, so when the roads are wet or damp, the much from the sites get's all over the bloody place. My nicely stripped own, sparkling clean bike is now all mucky again. ggggrrrrrr.

10. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this......

That's good to know. I have been running a few sets of M780 XT pedals for commuting, road and off-road and just recently had to adjust one of the newest ones due to running a bit tight. I think these adjust the same way as the XTRs, simple to do.

11. J1888

J1888 Über Member

In from SW London into town...not really cold, but fark me, what a head/cross-wind all the way in. Energy-sapping (recovering from a cold) doesn't even begin to describe it, even going downhill was a chore.

12. bonker

bonker Über Member

Had the same yesterday going into town from Surrey. You will be rewarded at the end of the day. If your ride home is anything like mine yesterday it will be a blast.

13. J1888

J1888 Über Member

:laugh: Unfortunately, I'll be continuing in the same direction on the way home - was coming in from my folks this morning, but I'm other side of the river!!

mjr likes this.
  14. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

A had an uncharacteristic full week off the pedals due in part to too much wind last week. Back on the commute this morning and it was chilly but I'd got the layers spot on. I almost got cleaned within 300 yards of my house by a lady in a yellow SUV (better visibility you see..) coming out of a give way junction into my path. She did acknowledge her error with the 'I'm sorry I almost knocked you over' hand in the air.

Picture1.jpg

15. J1888

J1888 Über Member

Farkin hell, same headwin on the way home. Only 5 miles but what an energy sapping, demoralising experience - every pedal stroke a chore, relentless wind for nearly the whole journey.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice