Tales from today's commute....

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by martint235, 28 Jun 2012.

1. Ciar

Ciar Über Member

Nothing too exciting started of by riding down into the local subway and into a lovely ganja smelling cloud being emitted by two gentlemen at 7.20 am :smile: and then out into the headwind which killed my motivation completely, so I pootled into work.

2. si_c

si_c Veteran

Yesterdays' commute home was short sleeve jersey, shorts, no arm or legwarmers and just a thin pair of gloves!!! Winter is definitely over now. Back to a long sleeve jersey this morning though.

I liked this, but because it reminded me I need to buy a spare hanger! Make sure you find out exactly why it snapped, for me last time I didn't realise how worn the big ring was and ended up having to replace the rear derailleur too.

3. si_c

si_c Veteran

Tonight's commute home was an exercise in how not to de-escalate conflict. I was interrupted by a moton beeping and close passing me as they went past on the main road. It's about 1.5 normal lanes with a cycle lane on the right handside. The cycletrack is usually filled with gravel and crap, and given that I was going relatively quickly at about 28mph I kept right, just over into the main lane, leaving ample space to pass, even though I was essentially keeping up with the rest of the traffic.

Pulled up alongside them at the next set of lights inevitably to be greeted with a deluge of profanity. I tried to explain to the driver that I was well within my rights to cycle there, cue more profanity, road tax, more profanity etc etc, at which point the lights changed so as I was losing my temper I called her a shoot driver and told her to fark off and learn how to drive. This prompted her boyfriend(?) to get out of the now moving car without waiting to stop, so I called him a bellend as I went around them and carried on up the road.

I'll readily accept that I dealt with it poorly, but their attitude and roadcraft were appalling. I'm not one to post these sorts of things in this thread, but I'm still seething a bit some six hours later.

4. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

Driving instructor?

Good deals on Cycliq products at present, and your police force have an online reporting system where you can share private(?) YouTube links. Also, if you know you are being recorded, you might moderate your behaviour, not that I think you were being unruly.

I suggest this as, other than stew, there is nothing really positive you can really get from the experience. And who doesn't like buying gadgets?

5. si_c

si_c Veteran

I've had a look at the Cycliq stuff, and they seem very bulky to me to be honest, plus I already use a dynamo lights setup. I do use a barfly computer mount, which has a gopro mount underneath...

In all honesty though, 99.999% of drivers are fine, and on the odd occasion I do feel the need to stop and speak to a driver, they usually apologise when I explain that they were too close, and that's it. You can't plan your life around dealing with tossers, you'll go mad.

But then, more gadgets!

gaijintendo likes this.
  6. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Senior Member

Alfine's are very sensitive to getting the setting right and keeping the gear cable moving smoothly.... It seems to pay to get really good cables and I find the outer seems to be more important than the inner... I use Jagwire Road Pro and it seems to work well on my 11-speed Brompton... also the alignment dot thing on the shifter mechanism should be considered a starting point for negotiation rather than the last word in the matter....

John_S likes this.
  7. John_S

John_S Senior Member

Hi chriscross1966,

Thanks very much for your message and advice which is much appreciated!

I've actually just bought myself a new Jagwire gear cable because that's the next thing on my list to try in order to hopefully solve my shifting issue. No I just need to get the time to fit it which is easier said that done between work and all of the family stuff on the weekends but fingers crossed I'll get it sorted soon.

In the meantime having done quite a few rides with the bike as a single speed I'm staring to get used to it now.

Cheers, John

8. dhd.evans

dhd.evans Über Member

Committed to 3/4 bib shorts yesterday. Today was a downpour but sacked up and did it again. I'm Caucasian but my ankles were definitely Afro-Caribbean on arrival at work.... :smile:

9. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

It was raining when I got up this morning and looked out of the window. I though it was going to be yet another wet cycle commute. Luckily it had stopped by the time I had left home. Bloody right too... bleedin' inconsiderate crappy wet weather. We've had enough y'hear.

Salty seadog, dhd.evans and C R like this.
  10. si_c

si_c Veteran

This mornings commute was yet another gusty cross/headwind, kept getting pulled left/right as vans or lorries went past creating a draft in the opposite direction. At least it was dry, last night the forecast was for rain.

11. hennbell

hennbell Über Member

Only -3 today yet I parked the bicycle, I am getting weak.

So it is only -3 but the wind is over 40 kph, we have us a spring blizzard. Our "normal" staying snow is very dry, it will not stick together to make a snow ball. When the temperature warms up to -3 the snow is very wet and makes for a much harder ride.

si_c likes this.
  12. Leaway2

Leaway2 Veteran

20180323_172218.jpg
    The red car wasn't quite blocking the cycle path so the black car had to pull up close

skudupnorth, John_S and dhd.evans like this.
  13. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

Wet ride in again this morning, started as drizzle and progressed to rain as I neared work. Despite being 8 degrees C I felt cold and struggled to get warm even with a buff, hat and base layer.
    Nice ride home, got too hot though:laugh:
    Looks like wet again for tomorrows commute too:rain::rain:

dhd.evans likes this.
  14. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

Today's commute was the last day of 19 consecutive days of cycling - 13 round trip commutes, 1 trip to collect my car from its MOT, 1 shopping trip & 4 leisure rides.

Weekend off at Brands Hatch (Sat) and Silverstone (Sun) then back to normal on Monday - and it's a short week thanks to Easter:thumbsup:.

15. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

What a surprise, wet again:sad::rain::rain: Headwind to boot, and with nearly 200 miles done this week I really felt it. Maybe I should take a couple of days off..

John_S likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice