Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Made my first attempt at a triathlon today. Biked for 7.5 km then with 0.2 km to go there was a big puddle across the road. The I should have got off my bike but I cycled on. Halfway through the puddle I had to turn left, that is when I found out about the ice at the bottom of the puddle. The puddle was much deeper and colder than I expected. a swim in a good 4 inch deep puddle got everything really soaked. I pick myself up thanked the lord for my waterproof winter boots and ran the rest of the distance home.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Made my first attempt at a triathlon today. Biked for 7.5 km then with 0.2 km to go there was a big puddle across the road. The I should have got off my bike but I cycled on. Halfway through the puddle I had to turn left, that is when I found out about the ice at the bottom of the puddle. The puddle was much deeper and colder than I expected. a swim in a good 4 inch deep puddle got everything really soaked. I pick myself up thanked the lord for my waterproof winter boots and ran the rest of the distance home.

what was your time for 10km?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Not a particularly enjoyable ride. After a little over a week away from work, I knew I was going to be facing the deep joy of a backlog of emails and telephone calls, in addition to work already planned for this week, so had to drag my backside out of bed. Then heard the wind gusting around the bathroom. Damn, it looked like the BBC weather forecast was accurate.
My usual morning routine seemed to collapse just as I entered the garage to collect my bike and as soon as I finally set off, it was straight into the cold easterly wind; a situation, which apart from about four miles travelling south, stayed with me for the rest of the journey. The biting wind, (and I suspect the prospect of a backlog of work) added over 15 mins to the journey. At least it was dry.
Dawn was breaking just as I left home, which is the first time in months. Whilst certain parts of the commute are undoubtedly better in daylight, I do enjoy the sense of solitude darkness brings.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow, this mornings commute was bloody freezing cold. Luckily the snow we had over the weekend had cleared and the roads were dry. I had changed the bottom bracket, chain and cassette on the PX Ti so this mornings ride was oh so smooth. If the roads had been wet I would have thrown a fit :-)

Got to the train station after the first part of the cycle commute. There were ticket inspectors at the gate. First time I have seen them there since I started this new commute beginning of November. Showed my pass and one of the guards said why wasn't my gps switched on. (I had switched it off just before the gate) He said if it ain't on Strava and gave me THAT look. I said, Ha, you're a cyclist. He said he is, cycles to and from work every day.

Not that many other cycle commuters out on the roads this morning. Probably due to the freezing temps. Weather is looking to get milder as the week goes on.

Last edited:

bonker

Guru
Had to walk the bike over icy slush to a bigger road but once on my way all was fairly snow and ice free. I was finding it very hard going. Was it the easterly wind, the effects of the weekend or the extra pair of longs to keep the cold out? No, it was the back brake against the wheel rim as I changed the chain at the weekend and hadn't set the wheel back in properly...doh.

The Izumi track chain I had on the fixed ( Pearson Now You See Me) suddenly wore massively. It's been on for a fair while (12-18 months). It was fine for ages but then, over the space of a couple of weeks, got as baggy as hell. I'm trying a cheap as chips KMC to see what the difference in life time is.

Randombiker9

Didn't cycle today as
1. Still snow and ice on roads
2. On way home one of the roads i have to go down his closed

ps still annoying as bus was 30 mins late due to icy conditions and not many of the stops where i have to get off are being served due to gas works :tongue:. So i'll probs end up cycling tommorow (If it doesn't snow again overnight and just find a different way home.

si_c

Guru
Bit of a headwind on the way home, had to pop into the supermarket, when I came out, clipped in and my left pedal fell off.

Scooted over to Halfords and had to get a new pair. Fair play to them they let me use their tools to swap them over. Which was easier said than done as the pedal was stuck on pretty hard.

J1888

Über Member
This evening was first time on the bike for a week, for various reasons.

Not a bad ride - long bibs and my Btwin Aerofit wintr jacket with baselayer was enough to keep me warm...shame my commuter is completely knackered - have not maintained it recently and think it needs new cassette, chain, front rings and rims.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Think I came across someone either having his bike nicked, or somebody who'd tried to have it nicked, in Dulwich Village of all places at about 5.30 to 5.45 tonight, don't know if anyone one here saw what happened?

There was a minibus bumped onto the pavement on the wrong side of the road, a fella with an orangey bike being talked to by a few people, and three halfwits heading the other way, one on a bike, one on a bike and holding another with no rider on (until the third jumped on it).

Something very odd happening, I didn't stop as there were loads of people involved anyway and there didn't seem much point in my adding to the throng.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
No snow here in Melbourne. All I have to put up with daily is the worst drivers in the world. I wish I could afford to leave this messed-up cyclist-hating country. :sad:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
when I came out, clipped in and my left pedal fell off.
What kind of pedal?
I'm thinking of M9000 XTR for my next bike (purely for the bling, I'm sure they won't perform any better than XT SPD) but have read many tales of failure on the older versions so now a bit worried in case the M9000s are the same but the stories haven't hit the web yet.

Top Bottom