Tales from today's commute....

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by martint235, 28 Jun 2012.

1. Randombiker9

Randombiker9 Well-Known Member

yesterday was a pain in afternoon went up to park to do some photography and these same old school kids won't stop harrasing me and got to the point where they decided to knock my chain off and kick my bike etc... and throw my helmet around so
    1. How do i know if my helmets broken because even though there's no cracks they kept throwing it around on the grass etc... till they threw it back at me so the foam could be damaged
    2. My bike is making this weird noise like a slight clicking noise. By the back wheel but i just tested it as i thought it might be coming from the chain but i know it's not as i just stopped the chain moving and then spun back wheel and i can't tell if it's disc brakes on bearings (If there are bearings in the hub by disc brakes) as i know it's only coming from back wheel and it's not the spokes as their still straight. So didn't ride today as before the gears got stuck because those kids were also messing with the gears. So i'm wondering if that noise is also caused by those kids because my bike has been quiet and not made any noise. There's also slight chips in the frame from those kids. :sad:

Do you know?

2. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

I really struggled today, especially tonight, had no energy whatsoever, think I might be coming down with the lurgy. :sad:

kevin_cambs_uk likes this.
  3. rivers

rivers Senior Member

I extended my ride home last by about 30 miles, for a total of 47 miles, with some friends. We decided to head out to Clevedon for a hot chocolate. Loads of people had the same idea. Lovely ride, lovely evening. But now my legs have kindly asked me to take a break as I'm well over 100 miles for the week already.

JhnBssll likes this.
  4. Ciar

Ciar Über Member

Wind again, but at least i dodged the drizzly rain :biggrin:

5. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

First commute today, in over a month, thanks to some health issues

Feel like crap - I may have returned too soon

6. C R

C R Über Member

Weather a bit cooler than yesterday, but still bright. Nothing much of note, except a cyclist ahead of me was swerving around the path going up a hill, obviously struggling with the climb. I rung my bell a few times to make sure she knew I was coming, but didn't seem to hear me. Eventually she came to a stop, almost falling off the bike in front of me. Luckily I had anticipated that happening, and I could stop with no ill effects for either of us. She was very apologetic.

7. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

Took the car today - 70 miles in 3 days is a lot for me so I've given the legs a rest, 41 miles planned for tomorrow with commuting and a group ride in the afternoon with some colleagues :becool:

8. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

First commute on the 90's Diamondback mtb today and it actually rides very well , weather wise just right with a bit of a breeze but nothing to pose any problems

JhnBssll and DCBassman like this.
  9. Ciar

Ciar Über Member

Lovely morning for a ride, but as usual had to contest with windy mcwind :wahhey:

10. dhd.evans

dhd.evans Über Member

Had a meeting in St Andrews; couldn't resist the 20mi ride over!

11. Randombiker9

Randombiker9 Well-Known Member

Well yesterday was weird i checked the brakes working (It still had a weird noise from other day when stupid school kids messed with it whilst i was in a park doing a bit of photography) i had no choice yesterday and to cycle in morning to get to somewhere, In the afternoon i decided to cycle a different route in a park short cut and i was going down hill and i guess my brakes didn't slow down in time as i tried to and then crashed. I was fine and on my own i noticed something was bleeding, thought it was my teeth but it was just my lips luckily. dunno how but my helmet visor snapped off and ended up in the spokes. I took it out and the spokes were still fine. Everything else is looked fine i just had to sort the handelbars out as somehow they got bent. I decided to visit one of the local bike shops in my area as i fixed what i could but it was still making that noise and the gears were messed up. I was able to get to bike shop. However it turned out that the hanger got bent. So i assume it must of already been bent beforehand (As i didn't fall off to that side i fell off the other side) from those kids messing with it and i just didn't notice it. I couldn't tell where the noise was coming from but now I've got a feeling it was from when those kids messed with it and i didn't notice it before hand. However they were full and busy.
    So unfortuantly i had to leave my bike locked overnight till Sunday (or bike shops going to call me if anything changes) because i didn't feel safe riding it home. Hope it doesn't get stolen.

I need to get a new helmet anyway as even though my helmets not cracked. It's best to replace after a impact right?

On the positive note at least i didn't hurt myself. just got small cuts on lips (which don't sting at all)

dhd.evans likes this.
  12. si_c

si_c Veteran

Sodding crappy sodding awful sodding headwinds. Wasn't making much progress this morning, and really had to stop myself from hammering all the way in.

kevin_cambs_uk likes this.
  13. palinurus

palinurus Guru

Rode in on the Elephant bike today. Not the best choice for a lumpy 10 miles, but better than I expected.

Only cycle-specific clothing worn: 1 x cycle clip.

KneesUp and kevin_cambs_uk like this.
  14. clf

clf Well-Known Member

This wind is really starting to p**s me off, looking at it now through the window the ride home's going to be real chore.

John_S, Ciar and kevin_cambs_uk like this.
  15. rivers

rivers Senior Member

Pleasant, if a bit windy ride in today. I have called on the wife to pick me up however, as it looks like it's going to p*ss it down on the ride home and my rain jacket is sat in my house. It definitely did not have rain forecast this morning when I checked the weather.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice