Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Allmost taken out by a guy on a borris bike this morning,Two cyckists ahead going much slower so shoukder checked,all clear and went for the overtake,Im probaly going 10mph faster and just as im a few yds from the guy in front of me,he shoulder checked and got the fright of his life when he saw me which in turn made him wobble straight accross my path,I dont know how he managed to recover,I ended up with the back of the bike in the air as Id just crossed a speed bump and had to give the brakes everything they got..I still cant understand how the two of us didnt end up in a heap..glad we didnt though

Sixmile

Veteran
I was up early, sucked bike onto the roof and drove to my house to open up for the electrician. Then, drove over for a dental checkup to get picked and prodded by sharp instruments. A few miles later I parked up, bike off the roof and took the longer greenway option to work. I normally don't bother as there are too many dog walkers in the mornings but as it was raining lightly I decided that there would be a lot less and think I only met 4 in the 10 miles in. It's to dry up later though which is all good.

clippetydoodah

Woke up feeling a bit rough with 'Stomach issues' decided to tough it out.
The weather was colder than expected, but at least I didn't have to do a Dumoulin.
Managed the ride ok, but feeling wiped out now. Train home I think as I can't face
20 miles feeling iffy.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Just seen this on BBC regarding rail chaos today.

Feeling a little smug as a cycle commuter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180521-135805.png
    Screenshot_20180521-135805.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 29

hoppym27

The towpath is a little dangerous at the moment..only bacause the canada geese have had their babies...3 families on a 2 mile stretch, if they are on the towpath the parents are naturally defensive....although they are using the attack is the best form of defence philosophy....they were all in the water this morning so I made it unscathed!

dhd.evans

Veteran
Recovery ride after the Etape Caledonia on Sunday; pleasant weather, nice ride. Absolute tosspot in an Audi doing this:

I feel i should report this to the police because this is the second time i've had the pleasure of a close pass from this driver:

Frankly i'm concerned he doesn't know how to drive his car. Opinions?

Slick

Guru
Recovery ride after the Etape Caledonia on Sunday; pleasant weather, nice ride. Absolute tosspot in an Audi doing this:

I feel i should report this to the police because this is the second time i've had the pleasure of a close pass from this driver:

Frankly i'm concerned he doesn't know how to drive his car. Opinions?

Go with your instincts but keep your expectations low.

C R

Guru
First bike ride to school with the three monkeys today. Daughter one and daughter two are quite proficient with cycling, and comfortable on the road, so they were a bit ahead on their own, son is still getting the hang of it, so I rode next to him, which also makes cars give wider passes to the whole group. We took a bit of a longer route to avoid the direct route which is a rat run, so we hardly had any traffic to contend with. I think they enjoyed it, at least the two younger ones. After dropping them at school I rode on to work, which made my total commute 7.5 miles, instead of the usual two. This afternoon I ride to school to pick them up and we all ride home together.

si_c

Guru
Took the long way home yesterday (extra 25mi) and got a couple of bonus hill reps in, meaning my legs didn't want to come downstairs this morning. Properly horrible headwind in too this morning.

Sixmile

Veteran
I had to drive over home to parcel up a few ebay items (living at in-laws atm) then got the bike ready and stuffed the 2 parcels inside my jersey. The post office is only a mile away thankfully as having boxes in your jersey isn't the most comfortable or aerodynamic. Parcels safely despatched, I then rode on 5 more miles when my phone went, pulled over and talked to a kitchen fitter for about 10 minutes as all the traffic I overtook was slowly filtering through the junction. A mate from work had whizzed by a few minutes prior to the call ending so then set about catching him. A further few miles down the road I caught up and we'd a relaxing 5 mile jaunt into the city centre, the journey does fly in much quicker when nattering away!

John_S

Über Member
This morning seemed a chilly and a damp start to the day! It was sort of like being on the coast when a sea mist rolls in and it feels damp & cold. I actually picked up the long fingered gloves for this mornings ride and I was glad that I did!

I must say it's nice to have been riding without days when it's chucking it down with rain and I don't want to be greedy and ask for too much but I could do without this strong northerly wind which seems to be hanging about day after day.

Other than the chilly weather & the wind it was largely an uneventful ride apart from the moment when riding along a street of Victorian terraced houses whereby cars are parked along one side and there's only enough room for one car to pass. Despite cycling in what I thought was a reasonable position, taking into account the potential of people opening car doors (which proved to be a good idea because someone did open a car door without looking), I had a close shave because a Mercedes estate doing much more than the 20 mph speed limit came up fast behind me and must of had their wheels touching the curb on the other side because they absolutely forced their way past me with millimetres to spare.

Needless to say I could have done without this and I try my best to remain calm on the bike and not react but this incident was so close it did result in some expletives being shouted at the Merc driver.

Top Bottom