Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Aye mad people. I took the opportunity at a set of lights in Streatham to remove my arm warmers and that was just after 6am. Was still a bit of a sweaty mess by the time I got in.

Nothing too bad today. Had a Prius decide that cyclists don’t count as things to actually yield to as he decided to throw a left hand u-turn from his parking spot straight across the bus lane I was in. Thankfully he was so brazen about it I managed to squeeze round the back of him and went through his now vacant parking bay. Good job too, there was absolutely no chance of me stopping in the 15 or so metres he gave me from 25mph. The car alongside me wasn’t too impressed by his actions either judging by the tirade of choice four letter words out the window towards him after.

I’d like to think I anticipate most things quite well but I guess I didn’t quite anticipate his uniquely high level of stupidity. Oh well. Chalk it to experience.

IME hybrid drivers seem even less sympathetic to cyclists than average. No idea why !

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Made the mistake of jumping off the quiet-ish road onto this shared-use path this morning. It is labelled as a "cycle track" so the motorists expect all cyclists to be on it rather than holding them up on their very important car journeys.

Road markings indicate that cars should give way to the "cycle track" on some but not all of the side roads which it crosses.

Walking pace was the fastest safe speed.

It was well used by children going to school, very slow cyclists and other pedestrians.

I got off it back onto the road as I wanted to get to work on time.

Not like they don't have room to make a proper segregated provision here ?
SUP.jpg

Sixmile

Veteran
There's a 1/2 mile stretch on my commute where there are 3 pedestrian traffic light crossings. Most days I'll not even be stopped by one. Well didn't I get all 3 reds? The last one was the best. A pedestrian zombie had pressed the lights, waiting patiently at the roadside with his headphones on, glaring down at his handset. I roll up to the lights slowly, waiting for them to turn amber to green and set off pedalling. Only then does he look up and realise that the whole road had stopped and he'd missed his chance.

mgs315

IME hybrid drivers seem even less sympathetic to cyclists than average. No idea why !

Heheh, alas it’s a shame that Hybrids are more about saving a couple of pennies for high usage vehicles than promoting a nice clean future eh?

I’d love to drive a Hybrid if my mileage made it viable. Alas I’d rather cycle when I can and use a full-on dinosaur burning car until it’s worth the cost.

Randombiker9

i was cycling around a little today. Their was a learner driver (motorbike) (he wasn't paying attention to traffic) just driving around in circles and between lanes on the road I slowed down to avoid crashing into him. (i assume the instructor (who was watching him) told him something as once the instructor saw me (I looked at him in a confused way) and then looked at the rider who then moved to the side after he checked his mirrors) (Those who ride motorbikes- i was a bit confused as i thought they only drive in circles etc.. in the actual centre not on the actual road, correct me if i'm wrong)

Tin Pot

Guru
10kin ride to the station, 30 min train, 10 min climb to work - beautiful sunshine.

5 min coast back down to station. 30 min train. Ten minute ride in the sun.
:biggrin:

Doesn’t have to be a 50km mountaineering event to bring a smile.

Reactions: C R

Tin Pot

Guru
Totally unacceptable on both counts!

Unless she shared.

Unless she shared.
Well she should have - the photo clearly shows he was on the left hand side..

Today I had one of those drivers who just has to try and overtake because you're just on a bike.. Problem was I was already doing about 25mph ish and behind a lorry - they pulled alongside just as we had to stop due to roadworks and a red light, totally blocking the oncoming traffic.. What a pleb, it was obvious there was nowhere to overtake.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
Today I had one of those drivers who just has to try and overtake because you're just on a bike.. Problem was I was already doing about 25mph ish and behind a lorry - they pulled alongside just as we had to stop due to roadworks and a red light, totally blocking the oncoming traffic.. What a pleb, it was obvious there was nowhere to overtake.

They annoy me too - it's amazing how often you get overtaken when you can see stationary traffic up ahead.

Some very silly commuter racing on the way home for me, involving two middle aged people on hybrid type bikes (one of them me) and one younger person on a carbon road bike who tired himself out by sprinting between sets of traffic lights whilst we kept up a steady pace and so he ended up being left behind by both of us.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
First commute after my hols. Car yesterday as I had to take my work bag, boots etc in.
After quite a few miles ridden while I was off, the last 30 being Wednesday evening, I decided to check the bike over well before I had to leave. Fortunate, really, as the P Fairy had done a stealth visit! Front tyre was flat. The Gatorskins first problem in a couple of years.
Only a minute hole, with nothing inside the tyre.
Anyway, 14 mile route into w*rk, bit of a headwind, but still really hot at 13:00 ish.
Quick shower to freshen up before facing Friday Whacky Races on the motorways.
13 mile route home, just after midnight, and only saw 2 cars until my half mile sprint down the A43.
Up turns a muppet, one truck coming towards me.. Muppet squeezes between me and the truck. No reason why he/she couldn’t have waited 5 seconds to pass safely, but I was more than happy that they took their drivers door mirror off on the side of the truck :laugh:
That 5 seconds probably cost them over £100 and all the hassle of getting it fixed.

PeteXXX

Microfibre towels. I have to put mine away damp in my shower kit until I get home 10 to 12 hours later. When I take it out to wash it, it stinks!
Anyone else use them?
(I’m sure it’s not me stinking it up!!)

PeteXXX

Yebbut this is a particular smell, not just damp ordinary towel smell.
I don’t have the facility to leave it out to dry, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom