Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Not quite from today's, but these three are getting notices of intended prosecution, which I think is fair enough. The mobile phone fiddlers were all moving at slow speed in queuing traffic, but moving nevertheless. The van overtook on a bend but I could see the oncoming Passat who had to take evasive action.

One at a time..

IMG_20180725_231857.jpg
IMG_20180725_184035.jpg

Lonestar

Veteran
Ha!!!! and on mobile phone zombies...The sit up and beg bike guy at the Stamford Street/Blackfriars junction (on the return commute) MGIF of traffic...So I stick behind a car in the LH turn lane.So lights change ...I catch up with Mr beg quite easily but he's only cycling one handed because his right hand is faffing about with a mobile phone while in quite heavy traffic.What a moron.Trying to cross into my turning at work (this morning) and Mr Pedestrian is too interested in his mobile phone than actually check if it's safe to cross.I really do not understand people sometimes.

Too many mobile phone zombies.:sad:

Liked your post @Arjimlad for the fact that you are reporting those.

Scary that so many drivers flout the law for what reason I really don't understand.

Last edited:
first road bike incident in 3 years. Was riding on a brand new multi user path I was approaching an elderly lady and her 2 small dogs. She was using a retractable leash to "control" them. I slowed to less than walking place to pass her one of the dogs moved towards me. I came of the fresh pavement to avoid the dog. I instinctual tried to turned back on the the pavement and fell over. Lost some skin as I was protecting the carbon fiber but no real damages.
My major mistake was to slow down so much, I lost a lot of stability going so slow.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
first road bike incident in 3 years. Was riding on a brand new multi user path I was approaching an elderly lady and her 2 small dogs. She was using a retractable leash to "control" them. I slowed to less than walking place to pass her one of the dogs moved towards me. I came of the fresh pavement to avoid the dog. I instinctual tried to turned back on the the pavement and fell over. Lost some skin as I was protecting the carbon fiber but no real damages.
My major mistake was to slow down so much, I lost a lot of stability going so slow.
Bad luck, heal well and I hope that the dogs may be better controlled in future?

Sixmile

Veteran
I just love how flexible travelling by bike is. I rode in 18miles to work yesterday then my wife decides we need to hit IKEA after I finish work, so 5 miles got me there, got the (ridiculously expensive) tap, then bike onto the roof and we drove back towards home. I was meeting some friends at a local football match, so bike off the roof and locked up outside the ground, wife drove home and then I cycled back 8 miles after the game. Such a mild night last night, it would've been rude to drive!

Dropped the Good Bike into the shop this morning. Many sharp intakes of breath regarding price. Methinks the driver is in for a shock.

They're probably thinking, worse case scenario the bike is a right off, sure there's new Apollo's in Halfords for £190.

Last edited:
A very rare commute for me, first this year I think!
12 miles to work, a very quiet 4.5 miles to the group cycle-to-work meeting point, 4.5 back to work and an early departure for home. Thunder and rain were starting at 3.15pm, but I was undeterred and looking forward to being homeward bound.
It was warm, with spots of rain as I left work, but I decided to take a slightly longer route home, making 14 miles,so a total of 35 for the day.
Similar distance tomorrow hopefully, on the closed roads of London, just for the fun of it!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Got slightly wet coming home it's was very pleasant

Lonestar

Veteran
Same old same old on commute in.Glad to get off of CS 2.Not my favourite time for commuting in the rush hour...Same coming back on mainly on the CS 3 and much better after Limehouse....Cemetery Road again...Crossed into Odessa Road and the road was closed off by the Police so had to divert to Dames Road...I hope it's nothing serious but the cops were searching for something in the road and there were a few people around watching and a police van blocking the road...Seemed to be a lot of boy racers around all of a sudden and I didn't like the atmosphere around there and dodgy driving.Glad to get home...didn't like that one bit.This happened just after 7pm.

They're probably thinking, worse case scenario the bike is a right off, sure there's new Apollo's in Halfords for £190.
When I was tooken out I gave them a bill for less than that as it was a cheap viking fixie and I only wanted back on the road ASAP.
They baulked at the price as they thought it was awfully expensive and decided to go through their insurance instead. :wacko:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Hottest, most humid weather that I've ever experienced on the ride in this afternoon. Felt like peddaling through treacle.

Then on the way home this evening the heavens opened with the most impressive light & sound show as an accompaniment. The rain was so heavy that visibility was just a few yards with the water forming rivers in the road where they weren't completely flooded. Brilliant fun as it was still in the low 20s°C and the rain was weirdly warm.

I've now got 9 days off work and, with any luck, the shoes should have dried out by then (dedicated commuting pair).

Lonestar

Veteran

I had one near Blackfirars bridge a few years ago (on black Friday 2015)...Had to turn into Lavington Street because I was diverted off of my usual Sumner Street by road works...Just as I'm about to cross a pedestrian (she disappeared a bit sharpish I noticed)crosses without looking...so I slow down to about 3mph and my front tyre slips and i'm off...Newington's law of gravity had taken over...Old man comes up to help and I go into one saying " flipping pedestrians never bother to look",To say I was a bit irritated with my latest confrontation with the tarmac was an understatement...I think the bloke was quite shocked as my usual manners went out of the window.I think he did ask if I was ok which was a bit of a stupid question but yes I know he was just trying to be helpful...Still it's funny now but it wasn't,then.:blush:

Lavington Street is a strange layout as it has a raised like kerb that crosses from the pavement on one side to the pavement on the other side.That kerby bit is what I slipped on at a 45 degree angle in the damp but I should never have gone down.

I've just looked it up on google maps and it looks like they have done that bit of road up.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Allegedly the hottest day of the year, so I left early for my 12 mile commute,

E2907619-F892-4890-A1C4-8DD39EAD244C.jpeg

so I had time to stop for a cool down :tongue:

Expecting a soaking on the way home, I’d packed my waterproof jacket.
Nope, bone dry :laugh:
As I was on my CX, I took a longer 25 mile route via Pitsford Res off-road trail.

7BD4D529-0A8A-432D-A61B-7C195A1BE450.jpeg

Holidays for a couple of weeks now, so back to leisure & pleasure rides for a while!

:smile:

Top Bottom