Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had this obstruction to deal with this morning

IMG_20180731_080028165.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Got properly wet this morning not pleasant but not cold . Not fully back into the routine after holidays had no spare kit at work so damp shorts on homeward leg

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Very pleasant ride in this morning. Just the right temperature. Only spoilt by a pedestrian not looking as she decided to cross the road with her dogs, from behind a transit van and without looking. Luckily I was positioned in the middle of the road and just managed to avoid the face of one of the dogs, which was on one of those stupid reel leashes.
Bonus during the day was being told by GMP that registered owner of a red light ignoring taxi is to be contacted for the name of the driver for a NIP.

A bit of a damp start but luckily I missed the worst of the overnight storms and just got more wet from beneath. A couple of SMIDSY's on my commute (well the second was SINBBLA) but I was able to anticipate them and position my self so I had a get out, so it was no drama. Lol what was annoying was my HR strap fail tonight so I had to do the mid commute training session on feel and I feel I didn't do enough :laugh:

KneesUp

Guru
Regular commuters will be aware of 'the car to be wary of' - the one you spot in traffic and make a mental note to pay particular attention to. There isn't one every day, but this morning there was a car that set of all kinds of warnings: it wasn't a car I'd seen before, it was a car that was designed to be flash rather than practical (one of the Jaguar coupes), but more importantly it was one designed to be flash 20 years ago, and the owner was presumably hoping that a few litres of wax polish and an illegally spaced number plate would mean no-one noticed. And the driver was wearing sunglasses despite it not being that sunny. As I said, quite a lot of 'flags' there that the car might not be driven in the most courteous manner. A further warning came when he overtook me without leaving quiteenough room approaching a traffic queue even though he was literally only ahead for about 10 yards. He then tried to overtake me at a point both where the road narrows anyway, and when there was another car waiting to turn right. There was a certain amount of engine revving as he aborted. I was now definitely keeping a track of where he was.

He overtook me when the road widened but I could see up ahead that he'd had to stop at some lights, and was behind a Beetle convertible. Him in his big flash Jaguar. He then realised that the bus lane wasn't active, so he swapped into the bus lane, but when the lights changed the Beetle driver reacted and he didn't, so the Beetle was still in front of him. The Beetle wasn't being driven aggressively, the driver just moved normally when the lights changed. I can only assume Jag-war man was fiddling with something and didn't notice them change. He did not like that at all. He really did not like it. There was a fair amount of gesticulating out of the window, which he had down anyway, presumably so people could see how amazingly cool he looked in his Matalan sunglasses in his 20 year old Jaguar, or because the air-conditioning doesn't work. When the traffic going the other way allowed he overtook the Beetle, then stopped in the road directly in front of it so he could get out and have a good shout and arm-wave. Because nothing underlines how much being upset about beaten at the lights by someone driving a car with an engine half the size of yours is about ego, and not saving time, than stopping as soon as possible and spending time looking like an angry Bez in the middle of a main road.

As I got near to them I heard the phrase "... again and I'll f*ckin' ram yer ... " "Nice chap", I thought. "He'd definitely behave the same if it was a rough-arsed builder in a panel van, rather than a young woman in a Beetle" "Calm down mate", I shouted (wondering why it's the norm that males call each other mate when they don't know each other, and in fact all I knew about this chap was that he was behaving like an eejit) "She was in front of you. Just get on with it" He then directed his attention at me, although I didn't hear what he said in reply as I'd decided that given the evidence, I'd be best off nipping down the little shortcut just a little further up because there was no way he could follow in his car.

Some people are just temperamentally unsuited to having a driving licence.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Two close passes today from the same driver. We supposedly passed each other a few more times according to her... when we both arrived at work.

We live nearby, we work nearby... We are what should vaguely constitute members of a community.

She said there wasn't much space. Agreed.

She tried to explain that cyclists should have to pay, but hadn't memorised the rest of the argument, so stopped... I asked if she meant with our lives.

Not sure what to do about this. Via HR, police, or hope that my saying "please" as my final word when she said she'd think about being more patient might work.

Another close pass from the same driver today. Perhaps it wasn't the proximity, because the camera doesn't really reflect the experience, but they overtook on a small side road, as it narrowed for a zebra crossing.

More of the same malice, and again, I can't understand the lack of patience. In thirty seconds we were both parked up...

Top Bottom