Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Serge

Über Member
Man, that is nasty. You need to start a campaign like James Cracknell to warn of the dangers.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Welcome to the A127: if it's not the 2 piles of chippings pushing you into the verge, it's the abandoned caravan pushing you into the 70mph dual carriageway...

View attachment 424554
Inexcuseable. It's hard to imagine the chippings have formed those piles by traffic drafts and as to the caravan....

As to Cycle to Work day, SFA apart from my usual cycle space.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Cycle to Work Day - not a single mention in the run up either locally or nationally from one of the largest Civil Service departments. The only reason I knew about it was that I'm still on the Cyclescheme mailing list despite our lot not using it any more and this is the first time I've not been on rest day or leave.

The picture of the work's bicycle shed from 10am just about sums up the attitude to cycle commuting round here...
Cycle to Work Day.jpg
From the left:
  • Shockwave BSO - ridden in once and abandoned when the weather turned bad later in the day. Been in that spot for around 10 years
  • Regularly ridden Cube 29er
  • Some form of Apollo hybrid (pre-Halfords?). Never seen before and it apppeared overnight a few months ago with two flat tyres, rusted solid chain and various other loose bits. It couldn't have been ridden in and the shed is on secure key access so someone in the building actually loaded it into a car and dumped it there deliberately - possibly as the local recycling centre/tip is on limited opening hours
  • A very nice Giant MTB turrned in to a slick tyred commuter, the owner also had a e-assist fat bike. Unfortunately he had long term health problems and was taken sick while at work and eventually died 3 months ago. Management are waiting for his estate to decide what to do with the bike.
  • My Van Nicholas.
So there it is - Cycle to Work Day and a bulding of 50+ people has a bike shed of 3 abandoned bikes and only 2 cycle commuters. Even if the other occasional riders had turned up, it would have added perhaps another 5 or 6 bikes.

Tin Pot

Guru
45km in, +700m
44km back +800m

A few key road closures threw a spanner in the works, but managed to maintain c.2h05 ride times. Also managed to all but eliminate the over FTP efforts which massively reduced the stress of the ride home. A bit less fun though :smile:

Cycle to Work Day - not a single mention in the run up either locally or nationally from one of the largest Civil Service departments. The only reason I knew about it was that I'm still on the Cyclescheme mailing list despite our lot not using it any more and this is the first time I've not been on rest day or leave.

The picture of the work's bicycle shed from 10am just about sums up the attitude to cycle commuting round here...
View attachment 424683 From the left:
  • Shockwave BSO - ridden in once and abandoned when the weather turned bad later in the day. Been in that spot for around 10 years
  • Regularly ridden Cube 29er
  • Some form of Apollo hybrid (pre-Halfords?). Never seen before and it apppeared overnight a few months ago with two flat tyres, rusted solid chain and various other loose bits. It couldn't have been ridden in and the shed is on secure key access so someone in the building actually loaded it into a car and dumped it there deliberately - possibly as the local recycling centre/tip is on limited opening hours
  • A very nice Giant MTB turrned in to a slick tyred commuter, the owner also had a e-assist fat bike. Unfortunately he had long term health problems and was taken sick while at work and eventually died 3 months ago. Management are waiting for his estate to decide what to do with the bike.
  • My Van Nicholas.
So there it is - Cycle to Work Day and a bulding of 50+ people has a bike shed of 3 abandoned bikes and only 2 cycle commuters. Even if the other occasional riders had turned up, it would have added perhaps another 5 or 6 bikes.

I had no idea it was C2W day!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Based upon the weather forecast and the rain hammering on the bedroom window during the night, I thought I was in for a soaking this morning, so out came the new Altura rain jacket. It was raining when I left home, but stopped not long into the journey.
Wind to my back for most of the journey, which was very a pleasant change, but it is looking like the journey home is going to be much harder work.

Serge

Über Member
Based upon the weather forecast and the rain hammering on the bedroom window during the night, I thought I was in for a soaking this morning, so out came the new Altura rain jacket. It was raining when I left home, but stopped not long into the journey.
Wind to my back for most of the journey, which was very a pleasant change, but it is looking like the journey home is going to be much harder work.
Yep, full waterproofs for me today. I may even dig out my overshoes.

dhd.evans

Veteran
A close encounter with a MGIF driver; overtaking on a corner with bollards. Sadly caught him 10 seconds later at the lights. Gave the sarcastic thumbs up to which he shrugged. I pointed to camera, then to reg plate - he then held his hands up. Numpty.

Top Bottom