Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Serge

Über Member
Had a very close pass going up hill whilst overtaking parked cars - talking inches here. I wanted to have a word with the driver whom I caught up to at the next set of lights. Asked the driver to wind down the window and I gave the pillock a dressing down about distance, safety and having been captured on camera.

Only thing was it was the wrong car.

Many many apologies sheepishly issued, thanking the driver for understanding and many more apologies :blush: D'oh!
That reminds of when my sister in law was walking to work in torrential rain. A familiar car pulled up alongside her so she gratefully jumped in and began thanking her "friend" for rescuing her. She then realised it was a complete stranger who'd just stopped at a roundabout. The kindly fella still gave her a lift to work though.

Randombiker9

The one day i left my bike camera at home and had a close call with a delivery van. (Ocado) I was in the middle of the road as as it was coming up to a mini roundabout and that driver decided to overtake on my left. Aren't you supposed to overtake on the right.and not in the same lane as me. (Before they've always been aware of cyclists and have a sticker saying for cyclists not to overtake on the inside).

C R

Guru
The one day i left my bike camera at home and had a close call with a delivery van. (Ocado) I was in the middle of the road as as it was coming up to a mini roundabout and that driver decided to overtake on my left. Aren't you supposed to overtake on the right.and not in the same lane as me. (Before they've always been aware of cyclists and have a sticker saying for cyclists not to overtake on the inside).
It may be worth an email to Ocado with the details of where and when it happened. They should be able to work out which van was there at that time and have a word with the driver.

Serge

Über Member
I had a similar occurrence on Saturday. Travelling on an unfamiliar road, I was approaching a traffic light controlled junction with the laft hand lane as left turn only and the right hand lane as straight on only. I checked over my shoulder (there was just a white van in the middle distance), indicated and moved into the right hand lane. Just as I was about to pass the lights, the white van came flying up the inside of me and cut across in front.

I thought I was going to have to invest in some new shorts.

Randombiker9

I had a similar occurrence on Saturday. Travelling on an unfamiliar road, I was approaching a traffic light controlled junction with the laft hand lane as left turn only and the right hand lane as straight on only. I checked over my shoulder (there was just a white van in the middle distance), indicated and moved into the right hand lane. Just as I was about to pass the lights, the white van came flying up the inside of me and cut across in front.

I thought I was going to have to invest in some new shorts.

For me where ussually the street it happened on is full of parked cars luckily their wasn't many at the time. I had no choice but to move closer to the edge of the lane. So it didn't cause an accident but if their had been more parked cars or a car in the other lane at the time it could of easily caused a accident

I actually just messaged Ocado through facebook and they replied instantely.
i bassically just said:
Me: Hello, there i just wanted to say. Most of your drivers are fine however today one of your drivers overtook me very closely in the same lane as me whilst i was cycling. just wanted to say this is dangerous and was just before a mini roundabout. Like he could of just waited behind untill their was enough room to overtake using the other lane. Just wanted to make you aware that one of your drivers needs to be more aware

Delivery service: Hello (my name). We appreciate how alarming this must have been for you. We certainly want to have this passed on for you! Please could you confirm where this was, the date, the time and the possible number plate of the driver too (if you were able to note it down). We can then locate this driver and try to ensure something like this doesn't happen in the future.

Me: It was around 3.20pm (I think) today (13th) i didn't get the number plate but the colour on the back was mostly orange. It was on (road and town name) just before a mini roundabout.

Delivery service: Thank you for these details, (my name). We will ensure to pass on the feedback about this for you, as we don't want something like this happening to you or another cyclist. We take matters like these very seriously, so the driver will be dealt with accordingly. (Name of someone)

Me: Thanks

Delivery service: You're welcome, (my name). We hope despite of this, you have a nice evening (name of someone)

Me:Thanks and you too

C R

Guru
For me where ussually the street it happened on is full of parked cars luckily their wasn't many at the time. I had no choice but to move closer to the edge of the lane. So it didn't cause an accident but if their had been more parked cars or a car in the other lane at the time it could of easily caused a accident

I actually just messaged Ocado through facebook and they replied instantely.
i bassically just said:
Me: Hello, there i just wanted to say. Most of your drivers are fine however today one of your drivers overtook me very closely in the same lane as me whilst i was cycling. just wanted to say this is dangerous and was just before a mini roundabout. Like he could of just waited behind untill their was enough room to overtake using the other lane. Just wanted to make you aware that one of your drivers needs to be more aware

Delivery service: Hello (my name). We appreciate how alarming this must have been for you. We certainly want to have this passed on for you! Please could you confirm where this was, the date, the time and the possible number plate of the driver too (if you were able to note it down). We can then locate this driver and try to ensure something like this doesn't happen in the future.

Me: It was around 3.20pm (I think) today (13th) i didn't get the number plate but the colour on the back was mostly orange. It was on (road and town name) just before a mini roundabout.

Delivery service: Thank you for these details, (my name). We will ensure to pass on the feedback about this for you, as we don't want something like this happening to you or another cyclist. We take matters like these very seriously, so the driver will be dealt with accordingly. (Name of someone)

Me: Thanks

Delivery service: You're welcome, (my name). We hope despite of this, you have a nice evening (name of someone)

Me:Thanks and you too
Result

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Ocado is usually the Waitrose division of Ocado. They do take PR seriously.
Good result, and hopefully the driver will be more careful in the future.
BTW, all their vans will be on a tracker, so no doubt who is where at any given time.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A slight autumnal feel this morning. Parked cars covered in condensation, six miles of mists on the fields, before hitting the suburbs, fiery sunrise and just a hint of a nip in the air.
Oh and a couple of dickhead drivers in Salford for whom losing three seconds of their lives at traffic junctions seemed to be too much for them.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Found myself with 10 minutes to spare this morning so gave the singlespeed a quick wash after yesterday's shirty weather. Pleasant ride.

Sixmile

Veteran
I'd a van rented from Enterprise that needed returned this morning, so I was up early brushing it out and secured the bike in the back. Drove 20 minutes to the depot to drop it off, leaping out the back doors like a motocross rider while I threw the keys towards the now nervous clerk (I really just lifted it out carefully - £1500 excess after all!). It was a further 6 odd bare handed miles to work in ridiculously light traffic.

13 rider

Guru
Standard if bit extended commute notable as the milage took the 13 hybrid through the 10,000 mile barrier . It might be heavy and slow but I love it . It's the bike that got me cycling again after 30 years .Treated in by cleaning and lubing the chain as a celebration

Welcome to the A127: if it's not the 2 piles of chippings pushing you into the verge, it's the abandoned caravan pushing you into the 70mph dual carriageway...

424380-fb388ab771d2cb16ed466ebe4a19ee3c.jpg

Sixmile

Veteran
National cycle to work day supposedly. Left early to add a few extra miles to take me to the Sustrans stand at the city hall. After a quick press pic, I got my voucher for a complimentary breakfast coffee and granola pot from a swish nearby café. Bumped into my mates dad there and sat and yarned with him, enjoying my spoils. Great start to the day!

Top Bottom