Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T675Rich

In my, completely inconsequential opinion, it was probably wise to have waited. There was always the possibility there that an impatient driver could pull out. But yes, the driver should have checked mirrors and indicated their intentions.

Yea, it was impatient of me, I struggle to get any momentum up so really didn't want to lose it but it's not worth the risk really. I will look at it as a learning moment.

Serge

Über Member
Yea, it was impatient of me, I struggle to get any momentum up so really didn't want to lose it but it's not worth the risk really. I will look at it as a learning moment.
That's definitely the best way of looking at it. I'm sure most of the posters on here have done something on a bike that they wouldn't think of doing again (nothing to see here @Fnaar).

Leaway2

Lycrist
I almost had a Porsche turn into me after they failed to use their indicators or mirrors. Having said that I am wondering if my manoeuvre was not the bast due to my noobishness so I'll explain the situation. As bus pulled over at a stop that has a central crossing area a little bit further down the road but not close enough to stop cars going passed the parked bus but often people don't so a small queue of about four cars had formed with none making an attempt to go round the bus. As I had a bit of momentum and could see the cars weren't going I overtook the row of cars intending to go in front of the buss as there were still a few passengers getting on as I got along side the Porsche that was the second car back from the bus he went to overtake the first car and the bus, I shouted and he did stop. Like I said if he looked in his mirror he would have seen me and he wasn't indicating but was the whole manoeuvre silly? Or is it this question that is silly? Or me?
I overtake all the time. A van pulled out of a Q to drive "on the wrong side of the road" to turn right further down the road and hit me. I still do it though.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I almost had a Porsche turn into me after they failed to use their indicators or mirrors. Having said that I am wondering if my manoeuvre was not the bast due to my noobishness so I'll explain the situation. As bus pulled over at a stop that has a central crossing area a little bit further down the road but not close enough to stop cars going passed the parked bus but often people don't so a small queue of about four cars had formed with none making an attempt to go round the bus. As I had a bit of momentum and could see the cars weren't going I overtook the row of cars intending to go in front of the buss as there were still a few passengers getting on as I got along side the Porsche that was the second car back from the bus he went to overtake the first car and the bus, I shouted and he did stop. Like I said if he looked in his mirror he would have seen me and he wasn't indicating but was the whole manoeuvre silly? Or is it this question that is silly? Or me?

Driver should have checked their mirror. You were in no different situation to a motorcyclist, who would be expected to overtake on the outside.
I dislike overtaking buses. I never know how quickly passengers are going to load and have been caught out a few times by bus drivers not checking their mirrors. Sounds like you were at least alert to what could go wrong.:okay:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Completely wasp free 12 mile commute in, and a trouble free 15 miles home after finishing w*rk at 00:30.
Not sure yet if I’m on the bike or car for the Saturday shift or not. I might have too much stuff to take and bring back.
We’ll see :okay:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well, I took the bike option, along with saddle pack and rucksack.

Easy 12 miles in, and, for 14 miles with a quite weighty rucksack, a headwind all the way home.
Back by 01:15 ish, with only one car passing me in the first 5 miles (a mate from w*rk who gave me a few flashes on his hazard lights as he tootled past) then nothing until I reached Northampton, then it was taxi after taxi!! Still, it was Saturday night, I suppose!
All safe passes though ..

Serge

Über Member
Cycled passed a dead badger near Rusthall and later a dead pheasant in Ide Hill on Friday. :sad:

I seem to be seeing a lot more dead badgers recently.

Lonestar

Veteran

Caught Tower Bridge up today on my commute in...Think that was the first time...Found quietway 14 (Q14) (just by luck) so bypassed Elephant and Castle.

Got on pavement as loads of traffic so I could sort my stuff out get towel out because I was carrying a very heavy load and fit a front light on as it became downcast.

On the way back down one of the sidestreet it looks like this will end in tears.It's no ordinary pothole.

Fairland Road E15...There was a bit of tarmac slapped into it as a sort of repair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom