Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

Two incidents on my trip home - first was a BMW driving the wrong way down the road to pass stationary traffic because he was impatient:

Second was an ped on the shared cycle path (also on cam but i'll let the local plod pick this one up before posting). Coming past him on the cycle path i slowed down because his dog was off the lead. He proceeds to shout a cavalcade of abuse at me because i didn't ring my bell at him. I should have just pedaled on but... i didn't. I stopped and politely informed him that a bell was not a legal requirement but leashing a dog on a public path was - this did not go down well. Myriad threats on my life and well-being followed. A truly disgusting character and one i hope the cops will have a quiet word with once i submit the video evidence.

I don't agree what happened here but how do you know if he wasn't a tourist and just forgot that we drive on the left as the majority of countries drive on the right?

It's quite simple. As I have said before. Zen mate, Zen. Just let it go. Try to enjoy your commute and don't let idiots bother you.
yeah i agree, sometimes i think idiot road users are looking to create an argument or to get a reaction hence why their bullies of the road. I just ignore stupid comments when drivers say something or deal with it when i get home (Like i did with the recent Ocado van). Like with buses and Delivery services you can always message them through social media.). There's not point confronting a driver because it'll just make things worse most likely.

Randombiker9

I thought you were going to try and chill out a bit. You're stressing yourself into an early grave. As said before, let it go.
I'm just used to it. Sometimes their very close calls but it's never caused me to fall off luckily because i've just been paying attetion and reacted in time. Also stupid drivers are just like bullies off the road, they probably want to cause a argument or reaction and if you ignore them and continue you won't be giving them any reaction and then if they keep doing it they'll eventually learn the hard way by causing an accident.

Tin Pot

Guru
Last weeks commute I hit a pothole which really jarred and knocked my left shifter down the handlebars.

Must remember to fix it tonight before the commute tomorrow!

humboldt

I don't agree what happened here but how do you know if he wasn't a tourist and just forgot that we drive on the left as the majority of countries drive on the right?
They went around a line of traffic waiting on the left though, and got no clue from that? Even if they were a tourist that would make them extremely inattentive behind the wheel of a big car. Probably just a typically abysmal British driver though looking to shave off a whopping 30 seconds from their journey.

Sixmile

Veteran
I feel almost apologetic for having another pleasant, hassle free commute. I took a few hours off this morning to help a fella work at the house so I was heading to work at lunchtime which seen more traffic than the recent am commutes. Even at that, no bother, skipped around most of it and felt good being on the road bike again. Slightly quicker average this morning than yesterday too.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I thought you were going to try and chill out a bit. You're stressing yourself into an early grave. As said before, let it go.

TBH i'm more aggrieved at my wife who has now insisted i take the cycle paths to and from work. I dislike them for a number of reasons (all of yesterdays bollocks included) but she is right in-so-much as i am not likely to be killed by a car on them. Unless it's a BMW like yesterday. Exception to the rule and all.

I'm just starting to feel i can't win either by road or by secluded path and it's really starting to get me down.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
TBH i'm more aggrieved at my wife who has now insisted i take the cycle paths to and from work. I dislike them for a number of reasons (all of yesterdays bollocks included) but she is right in-so-much as i am not likely to be killed by a car on them. Unless it's a BMW like yesterday. Exception to the rule and all.

I'm just starting to feel i can't win either by road or by secluded path and it's really starting to get me down.

I don't think the roads are the problem. I assume you have been commuting and riding for quite some time. As such you will be a confident and competent rider. Are you worried by mixing it with the traffic? Probably not and you've not been killed yet so you know how to look after yourself. If you are worried about your safety then maybe take the cycle path. I don't know what your focus on the bad drivers says about the way you view your commute. If you enjoy it then carry on , don't let the idiots/mistakes get you down and enjoy it even more.

Lonestar

Veteran
Two incidents on my trip home - first was a BMW driving the wrong way down the road to pass stationary traffic because he was impatient:

Second was an ped on the shared cycle path (also on cam but i'll let the local plod pick this one up before posting). Coming past him on the cycle path i slowed down because his dog was off the lead. He proceeds to shout a cavalcade of abuse at me because i didn't ring my bell at him. I should have just pedaled on but... i didn't. I stopped and politely informed him that a bell was not a legal requirement but leashing a dog on a public path was - this did not go down well. Myriad threats on my life and well-being followed. A truly disgusting character and one i hope the cops will have a quiet word with once i submit the video evidence.

Not brilliant but I probably wouldn't get upset about this one....depends on how cheesed off I am I guess.I ride a lot of back streets so it's a bit of give and take...generally give.

I was getting the hump with an Addison Lee...Had rode from Plaistow to Stratford with an almost flat back tyre (on the return commute) when Mr Addison decided to block the backstreet I wanted to turn into....I was anxious to get back ASAP as I had trouble...and I was just thinking FFS when he sort of realised and was sort of apologetic (after looking up from whatever he was distracted by) and on my way I was....No big deal.

Then I remembered when getting near the Romford Road that I had a can of Tyreweld in my bag...and after two applications it got me home satisfactorily with me managing to sprint to 20mph to get off of Forest Lane and the morons and get back on the backstreets.

That's the second time Tyreweld has got me out of trouble...The last time was at Westferry.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Get rid of that camera that's driving a lot of your negativity I think

Lonestar

Veteran
So on continuation from my previous post...I pumped the rear tyre up with a track pump and a load of foam has come out the side...Means it was either damaged with me riding from Plaistow or it was damaged beforehand...anyways the tyre looks worn and needs replacing before next commute.No big deal.

Lot of BMW's round here driven by boy racers....but my nemises is Goldline cars they seem to have got a new army in.

Randombiker9

You know yellow box junctions. What's the rule with other taking because i was on downhill stopped at a red light. When it turned green i went and this driver close passed whilst overtaking in the yellow box and this was going downhill and then cut in front of me and the road i was going down was narrow. I thought you can't overtake in junctions as it's a bit dangerous. Also had a car tailgate me after me (he had plenty of space and oppurtunity to overtake) and then honk at me. For some reason i looked back incase it was a policeman in undercover car but it wasn't as no sirens afterwards and then i realised it was the same car as the person who told me i should off been in the cycle lane yesterday.

Last edited:

dhd.evans

Veteran
No issues last night thankfully! Hurrah.

Oh, except the cycle path was blocked by a catamaran:

upload_2018-8-22_9-25-49.png

Obviously.

Top Bottom