Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday, I took my Gorilla Glue into work to fix the showers. The riser was falling off the wall due to rust.
If I’d have waited until ‘Facilities’ had turned up, I’d be extremely smelly.
If you need summat doing, do it yourself!!
I’ll see if my bodge has held together in about 2 hours...

Watch this space :smile:

Lonestar

Veteran
Lucky
No issues last night thankfully! Hurrah.

Oh, except the cycle path was blocked by a catamaran:

Obviously.

I like the little bump thingy with the painted lines.Reminds mw of when they put the speed bump on the Victoria Embankment which was a bit harsh...First time I hit it @ 15-20mph I think both my wheels left the ground on the fixie...Great fun.(not)

Christ the CS 2 in the early morning is full of glass/rubbish and the odd pedestrian.They don't expect commuters at 4 in the morning.

TBH i'm more aggrieved at my wife who has now insisted i take the cycle paths to and from work. I dislike them for a number of reasons (all of yesterdays bollocks included) but she is right in-so-much as i am not likely to be killed by a car on them. Unless it's a BMW like yesterday. Exception to the rule and all.

I'm just starting to feel i can't win either by road or by secluded path and it's really starting to get me down.

Ok I am not all sweetness and light I must confess but generally I cannot be bothered to post my tales of some of the morons I encounter...It would take up too much of my time and it just isn't worth it...

Yesterday on the inward commute on Tower Bridge yet again...I always go as fast as I can if no cars are about...Generally 20mph to stop the wallies doing some sort of stupid overtake if they catch...So I get to the South side of the bridge heading southwards nearing the first set of lights when I become aware of a motorist keen to overtake as he wants to get to the red traffic light ASAP.So I go more defensive and in the process I find the Tower Bridge resident pothole again...He's taken the right hand turn lane and Mr Addison Lee is in the left hand turn lane...Mr Addison Lee had done nothing wrong in this incident....So Mr Overtaker ASAP has taken the right hand turn so I'm behind Mr Addison.

Then a lorry ugly awful lorry low loader thing comes up and takes the left hand turn lane about two feet from my back wheel....Well unless he is going left what option was he going to take...His road position was poxy and he should have been giving me more space because unless he's going to stick behind me which he probably wouldn't or do a left which he didn't he's going to have to move out to the right .Either that or run me over (shudder)(There was also an Anderson coach parked 200 yards up the road so he'd have to move out eventually.)..
So why not take a more central position.I didn't see where Mr Addison went as I was too busy concentrating on the lorry.I actually moved onto the pavement as there was a lot of rubbish in the same place as some sort of pavement works made my position even more precarious.while telling him I was not too impressed....Off he went...I could probably have caught him as I normally take the same road but since using the Quietway 14 it's been more relaxed and less grief....

Going to the front is not really an option at the lights as there are two left hand turn lanes and no space.I just take the best and most defensive position I can which doesn't involve standing in front of an unpredictable human being driving two tons (or more) of metal.

It may take me longer and I may get back/there later but it's better than being in the right all the time and telling whoever will listen...."But I was in the right."

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Not quite a commute more like my evening ride. Anyway last night I had a van almost take me out owned my our local ALMO company. It's the 1st time I have known just who's van it is and now that I have a element I can note the time. Anyway contact them this morning very quickly came back to me asking for more info. Using data I worked out more or less the place it happened. They track the vehicles it trun's out just had another email they now know who and will be having words. What ever happen's next I am happy at least they did look into it and identified them. Which is more than some seam to do.

On a plus point second's after another van same company passed me in more than a safe manner.

tom73

Guru
Back from a quick spin on the bike though I almost did not make it. Some brainless Range Rover driver even though he had seen me and the fact that the road on his side is solid white line. Still continued to over take a car at speed ending up the wrong side of the road. So in effect coming at me head on at speed. Only a matter of inches in it I had nowhere to go other than keep the bike in a straight line and hope.

PeteXXX

Well, my bodge on the shower seems to have worked ^_^

Nice commute both ways, middayish there and 23:00 ish home. Bit busier than I like until I get onto the back roads as it’s shift change and pub closing time. Still, no issues to report other than I nearly swallowed a moth... flappy l’il things until you spit them out!! :laugh:

Other thing I tried today was to see if my Wahoo could stay ‘live’ to record both ways. Yep, it can, but rinses the battery as it doesn’t fully turn off.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Back from a quick spin on the bike though I almost did not make it. Some brainless Range Rover driver even though he had seen me and the fact that the road on his side is solid white line. Still continued to over take a car at speed ending up the wrong side of the road. So in effect coming at me head on at speed. Only a matter of inches in it I had nowhere to go other than keep the bike in a straight line and hope.

Hate it when that happens, dangerous arrogance. Hope you can report it ? You never know, the car driver may have already reported it & if your evidence corroborates...

Sixmile

Veteran
Wet.

Drove out more than half way this morning as I was late as usual and cycled the remaining 5.5 miles to work. I really need to put my mudguards back on. Feet were toasty though. I'm glad overshoes and bare legs is such a good look.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Pleasant if slightly nippy this morning. Put the hammer down on the singlespeed on a slightly incline so was sweating buckets by the time i got to work. Good Bike will be back in service in the next week.

PeteXXX

Only one imbecile on yesterday’s commute in. Narrow road and she decided to overtake a parked car leaving me with a tight gap to aim through. I’m glad she had her window open so she could definitely hear my opinion of her driving.
Nice, but nippy, ride home. 7c is chilly in shorts and fingerless gloves!

3272E91A-0E54-4DD0-AE6F-D212FC25C0F4.jpeg

Quiet lanes, mainly, though.

Plan B didn’t work with the Wahoo either. I tried just switching it off after the ride in, but it started a new ride when switched back on for the return leg.
Seems like it won’t do what I was wanting it to do, but it did save the first part.

Metal box today as I have too much stuff to carry back.

Lonestar

Veteran
Commute in today was okay.Still learning about my new route Quietway 14 and bumped into the clubbers on my commute in...but all was fine...It doesn't seem to be a shorter route but it's less grief than the Elephant and Castle route.

Coming back the rain seemed to have driven 75% of the normal jokers to hide under a stone somewhere making the commute back relatively easy...Just one joker boy racer at Westferry and yet another ped with mobile phone glued in ear while not bothering to look when crossing the road at Stratford.

I'm voting for more rain.:okay:

Oh and rear tyre didn't go down again at Plaistow so that makes a change after it happened on two consecutive commutes with me changing the tyre and innertube after the first one and changing the inner tube after the second one.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
A few months since my last post: I guess I needed a break from CycleChat.

I'm flying to France next Tuesday, and will be spending 4 weeks (exactly 28 days consecutive cycling, if all goes according to plan, and my legs can handle it) in the French side of the Pyrénées, based at 2 B&Bs for 2 weeks each. I'm really looking forward to a warmer change: although Melbourne's winter hasn't been colder than average according to the numbers, we've had a few colder than usual days, including this morning. When I rode to work this morning, my bike's GPS computer's thermometer reading got down to -3.2 and stayed there for a while.

Top Bottom