Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
First road bike commute in over a month. New cassette, chain, front chainring & pads debuted and it felt good. A bit faster than my recent hybrid commutes but I think I still prefer the hybrid for riding to and from work, especially mixing with traffic and with the possibility of cars darting out from all angles.
You’ll soon change your mind ;)

Lonestar

Veteran
A bit irritating when you're riding along a single track road with passing spaces, in the rain, and warm & dry oncoming drivers can't wait less than ten seconds at the passing spaces, so you're forced into the hedge as they push ever onwards.

Have to remember I'm only a cyclist, after all.... should know my place a bit better.

Definitely and they only dominate because they are in two tons of metal.(or more) and some are pretty idiotic.Loonies drugged up insane suicidal or just plain stupid.

Last edited:

Randombiker9

Why do people think cycle lanes are compulsory. I was cycling home when a driver close passed me saying: you should be in the cycle lane. I wasn't going straight i was going to turn right soon which was why i wasn't in the cycle lane. Also cycle lanes are optional. You don't have to use them by law.
Anyone else ever got this comment?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Why do people think cycle lanes are compulsory. I was cycling home when a driver close passed me saying: you should be in the cycle lane. I wasn't going straight i was going to turn right soon which was why i wasn't in the cycle lane. Also cycle lanes are optional. You don't have to use them by law.

I was very surprised to have a driver ask me very politely one day why I wasn't using the adjacent shared use pavement. I pointed out that it forces you to cross a motorway entry slip road without any way of knowing when it is safe to cross, that it was festooned with temporary roadworks signs & sandbags, and that it was never swept clean. It also didn't go where I wanted to go. He was totally sympathetic.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Got the Giant flat bar out of the shed this morning and was just about to set off when I looked down at the front wheel and noticed this...
Another sidewalll split.jpg
This bike hasn't been used in over a week so I have no idea if I cut the sidewall while in use or if it failed while in the shed. The tyre was still fully inflated despite the tube poking out the side! That's the second GP4000s ii that I've had to replace due to sidewall cuts this year and if anyone knows of any cheap deals on the 28mm version, please post them.

Lonestar

Veteran

I had this from a bloke at work.Not or the first time.The next time he showed me a picture of a cyclist riding on the road with a cycle lane on the pavement and in big letters <SELFISH> with an arrow pointing at offending cyclist.So I pointed out I had fell off on one of his stupid cycle lanes and buggered my knee up...To which he replies that I should have been concentrating...Twat....I had done a long shift but this was irrelevant on the day....I was doing about three miles an hour and turning left when the front wheel slid on the cobblestones on the CS 3....As it seems to be a car turning area I suspect I slipped on some diesel.

Another thing is he's taken care of at work so does his own hours to suit and is off the roster but the bugger does all the overtime he can get and I see him every day of which I'd rather not.

I never generally moan about motorists when I get to work unless it's to another cyclist but not to the motoring brigade.I haven't told them I've had to endure crap driving...cut ups left hooks...mobile phones and even the other month a brain dead idiot tried to nudge me into the cycle lane at Stratford even though it isn't completed yet and this is the stupid 5h1t we have to put up with at times and bullying on the road.

It also irks me because motorists are the selfish ones as more people die on the roads due to motoring traffic and that's before we get onto pollution....but that's ok so long as the self entitled can go on their way..

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Several morons yesterday and today with no lights. In the Manchester/Liverpool corridor it is not light until after 6.15 am, especially when it is overcast like yesterday, or drizzling like today. Some bozos even at 5.45.
Just how difficult is it to see that it is dark and flick a switch before starting your two tonnes of metal?

dhd.evans

Veteran
Two incidents on my trip home - first was a BMW driving the wrong way down the road to pass stationary traffic because he was impatient:

Second was an ped on the shared cycle path (also on cam but i'll let the local plod pick this one up before posting). Coming past him on the cycle path i slowed down because his dog was off the lead. He proceeds to shout a cavalcade of abuse at me because i didn't ring my bell at him. I should have just pedaled on but... i didn't. I stopped and politely informed him that a bell was not a legal requirement but leashing a dog on a public path was - this did not go down well. Myriad threats on my life and well-being followed. A truly disgusting character and one i hope the cops will have a quiet word with once i submit the video evidence.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
............ A truly disgusting character and one i hope the cops will have a quiet word with once i submit the video evidence.

Assuming you, or the police know where he lives. Otherwise just let it go.
With resources as they are, they are not going to start a manhunt for verbal abuse.

Randombiker9

I had this from a bloke at work.Not or the first time.The next time he showed me a picture of a cyclist riding on the road with a cycle lane on the pavement and in big letters <SELFISH> with an arrow pointing at offending cyclist.So I pointed out I had fell off on one of his stupid cycle lanes and buggered my knee up...To which he replies that I should have been concentrating...Twat....I had done a long shift but this was irrelevant on the day....I was doing about three miles an hour and turning left when the front wheel slid on the cobblestones on the CS 3....As it seems to be a car turning area I suspect I slipped on some diesel.

Another thing is he's taken care of at work so does his own hours to suit and is off the roster but the bugger does all the overtime he can get and I see him every day of which I'd rather not.

I never generally moan about motorists when I get to work unless it's to another cyclist but not to the motoring brigade.I haven't told them I've had to endure crap driving...cut ups left hooks...mobile phones and even the other month a brain dead idiot tried to nudge me into the cycle lane at Stratford even though it isn't completed yet and this is the stupid 5h1t we have to put up with at times and bullying on the road.

It also irks me because motorists are the selfish ones as more people die on the roads due to motoring traffic and that's before we get onto pollution....but that's ok so long as the self entitled can go on their way..

Yeah, idiots on the roads are pretty much like bullies on the road.

Top Bottom