Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Was chilly this morning, so wore a long sleeve jersey for the firs time since april. Didn't wear gloves though, which was a mistake as my hands were freezing by the time I got to work after 40mins.

straas

Matt
Did a longer commute this morning, got nice and warm except for my hands which were freezing, nearly got chilblains in the shower.

Clanghead

A first for me tonight - being assaulted by another cyclist.
Well, I say cyclist - more like an aggressive block with anger and/or alcohol management problems who happened to be on a bike.

I'm cycling up the road, minding my own business in secondary position, approaching temporary roadworks lights at red, when he suddenly pulls out from the near side in the opposite direction to me, trying to cycle down the wrong side of the road head-on into me and yelling at me to get out of his way. I give him a few choice words of advice and about 15 yards past me, by now on the correct side of the road, he decides to make an issue out of it and cycles back to me at the lights. He throws his bike down on the ground in front of me and starts ranting at me, accusing me of being one of those "types with a camera" (I don't have one). I stand my ground and when the lights turn green, I cycle off, at which point he throws a half-full can of beer or cider at my head. He very nearly connected, but I ducked in time and it exploded on the opposite side of the road. I don't think he appreciated my sarcastic congratulations.

It was mildly gratifying to get a sympathetic thumbs-up and head shake from the occupants of the car that had been waiting behind me. I should probably have noted their numberplate in case I needed a witness. Overall I was surprisingly calm, but I was also careful to ensure he wasn't following me as I got near home. I hope he doesn't ever get near a car.

Well, I say cyclist - more like an aggressive block with anger and/or alcohol management problems who happened to be on a bike.

I'm cycling up the road, minding my own business in secondary position, approaching temporary roadworks lights at red, when he suddenly pulls out from the near side in the opposite direction to me, trying to cycle down the wrong side of the road head-on into me and yelling at me to get out of his way. I give him a few choice words of advice and about 15 yards past me, by now on the correct side of the road, he decides to make an issue out of it and cycles back to me at the lights. He throws his bike down on the ground in front of me and starts ranting at me, accusing me of being one of those "types with a camera" (I don't have one). I stand my ground and when the lights turn green, I cycle off, at which point he throws a half-full can of beer or cider at my head. He very nearly connected, but I ducked in time and it exploded on the opposite side of the road. I don't think he appreciated my sarcastic congratulations.

It was mildly gratifying to get a sympathetic thumbs-up and head shake from the occupants of the car that had been waiting behind me. I should probably have noted their numberplate in case I needed a witness. Overall I was surprisingly calm, but I was also careful to ensure he wasn't following me as I got near home. I hope he doesn't ever get near a car.
:eek:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

Glad you ducked in time, what a knob !

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Bah.. extended the commute, got the Wahoo reading in KM and found that I had done 19.93 miles !

I'd have gone around the roundabout a couple of times if I'd realised. Must work on mental arithmetic converting KM to miles.

Serge

Über Member
I've just had a rather interesting cycling experience on my way home from work.

I'd just filtered into the right hand lane to make a right turn and, as I applied my rear brake, I proceeded to do a full 180 without falling off or veering into either traffic lane. It turns out I'd managed to apply the brake just as the rear wheel rolled over a piece of laminate flooring in the middle of the road. It acted like a ski.

I'll not be doing that again, these underpants were expensive.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've just had a rather interesting cycling experience on my way home from work.

I'd just filtered into the right hand lane to make a right turn and, as I applied my rear brake, I proceeded to do a full 180 without falling off or veering into either traffic lane. It turns out I'd managed to apply the brake just as the rear wheel rolled over a piece of laminate flooring in the middle of the road. It acted like a ski.

I'll not be doing that again, these underpants were expensive.

That is most impressive. I bet you looked very elegant & suchlike !

Top Bottom