Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Saw this tall-bike guy on the way home.

wFFoJIZ.jpg

Lonestar

Veteran
VENT

"Why aren't you on the cycle path !" ....

Apparently it was the start of a civilised conversation, not a bullying intimidation tactic, indicated to me by the fact that he sped on past jabbing across the passenger pointing at the shared use facility .... He didn't hear my answer, but did hear the 'pr**k!' appended to the end. A little bit further on he pulled over wanting to continue the conversation.

"What makes you better than those using the cycle path"
"You do realise it cost £500,000"
"It's safer than the road"
"I ride every day, I would use it"
"If I didn't have my son in the car I would get out and give you what for"

Argghhh, I know I shouldn't get riled, but it's so hard to to respond sometimes :-(

I hope you told him to stop being a bullying thug.

T675Rich

First commute on the new bike and it was much nicer to ride and definitely quicker even considering the fact that I haven't ridden much for the last two weeks. Had someone so desperate to get in front of me at one point that he overtook me and almost hit an oncoming car, tbf to him he gave me plenty of room but still seemed a bit silly especially as he got stopped by every set of lights and I caught him up each time and then when we hit the heavy traffic I lost him so nearly causing an accident got him nowhere faster.

C R

Guru
Back on the bike after a week of no riding because of holidays. Nearly wiped out by another cyclist coming the other way out of a road crossing, on the positive a driver let me through the crossing immediately after. Other than that fabulous weather and great to be riding again.

Mrklaw

Been commuting for the first time since Monday - just central London but I've been hesitant due to it being so busy. So far its been ok. Avoiding lorries and being careful about positioning (thanks beginners forum!). And with the ASL you're off so quick you usually arrive at the next lights before the traffic so there isn't much pressure from them to overtake. So far most vehicles have been well behaved too - lots of me looking over my shoulder and taking primary position when needed (a lot of the time in london with narrow streets and parked cars)

Still figuring out routes - in the morning its pretty much a straight drag but coming back the one way system gets in the way a little bit. About 15-20 mins door to door at the London end.

At the Slough end so far I keep missing the connecting train to Windsor by 5 mins, so I've cycled home - can do it in about 20-25 mins which is 5-10 mins faster than just waiting for the next train but I have the option to wait if I'm not in the mood.

Slick

Guru
A nice crisp morning left me feeling great as I enjoyed the cycle in this morning until I almost got to work and saw an ambulance crew tending to a scooter rider in a ditch after being knocked off by a van. Hard to tell exactly what happened but it certainly didn't look great. Hopefully the rider was okay.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm quite enjoying the schools being back this week as it means I can skip past a load of stationary traffic and view the motorway from the bridge above about half way into my commute. When the motorway is stopped still and bumper to bumper, it just makes the ride that bit more special.
Do you wave at them from the bridge? I have a similar spot in my commute, and the little devil sitting on my left shoulder has urged me to wave at the motorists! :evil:

si_c

Guru
Another soggy commute this morning. Not too bad on the roads, but it was raining reasonably heavily, lots of static traffic.

Mrklaw

Another soggy commute this morning. Not too bad on the roads, but it was raining reasonably heavily, lots of static traffic.

How do you deal with wet but not cold commutes? (complete newbie here). Do you ride slower to avoid overheating - I assume wet gear isn't great for ventilation

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How do you deal with wet but not cold commutes? (complete newbie here). Do you ride slower to avoid overheating - I assume wet gear isn't great for ventilation

If its a warm wet commute, then no wet weather gear is needed. No point. Lycra dries very quickly, your skin even quicker.. Even a break in the rain on a commute and lycra will be dry in a short while.

Top Bottom