Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
In via Tower Bridge and back ...via the same way...Although the routes in and back are not the same...In via Stratford/CS 2 to Aldgate and cut to Tower Bridge for Quietway 14 on the way back I came via Quietway 14 (for the first time)with a ped standing in the Q14 cycle lane? staring at phone...Not too much of a problem but it just baffles me why people do not stand in a position of safety to do this.Then a busy traffic jammed Tower Bridge with three buses to get past and a car in front who couldn't steer straight probably due to the fact that whatever the driver was discussing with his passenger involved taking his hand off of the steering wheel explain what he mean't...In between picking up his phone to glance at the screen.Got past eventually due to a tour bus stopped and up to the north side and accessed the CS 3...Seemed ok and less hassle than faffing about with Southwark Bridge. Back via Shadwell/Limehouse/Poplar/Westferry/East India and Canning Town/Plaistow.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A couple of days on the bike this week, Friday and Sunday (+ Monday if you count the commute home after midnight :tongue:)

Nice strong tailwind there on both days, with a lighter headwind home. Nice!

Now I’m riding a day or two a week, and am dropping down to 4 days w*rk instead of 5, MrsPete has sold her car and we just use mine for the few miles we need to do. :smile:

Sixmile

Veteran
I was a bit later setting off this morning as I thought it was time I clipped on some crudguards to the hybrid as it is to be wet this afternoon... I also stuck a jacket in my rear pocket and overshoes on as it is to be wet this afternoon.. I also put on slightly warmer full finger gloves as it is to be wet this afternoon.. then I went out this morning and got soaked through!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's finally reached the time of year when lights are required when going in on an early shift and when coming home on the late shift. As a result all 4 spare USB ports on my work PC had cables plugged in charging bike lights this morning.

Mrklaw

Seems my honeymoon last week is slowly coming to an end. Coming in to work yesterday morning I had a lovely van indicate left in the left lane while I was in the right (straight/right) lane at the lights. As the lights change, the van driver - still indicating left - decides to turn right across me instead, and then pulls over to park on the right side of the road immediately after the junction. Luckily it was just after the lights so wasn't going fast and I avoided him easily, but it reminded me how sudden things can happen, even if you're riding defensively

rivers

How far can I go?
It's supposed to rain today, so I took the wet weather bike into work. First commute with my new camera, which is currently rigged onto the handlebars with one of the helmet straps until the 31.8mm handlebar clamp arrives. Just had it in standard def today, video quality is decent, but i will put it into HD recording mode on my way home.
Overall, a mostly pleasant ride into work except for the headwind on the hills, with just a slight sprinkling of rain.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It's supposed to rain today, so I took the wet weather bike into work. First commute with my new camera, which is currently rigged onto the handlebars with one of the helmet straps until the 31.8mm handlebar clamp arrives. Just had it in standard def today, video quality is decent, but i will put it into HD recording mode on my way home.
Overall, a mostly pleasant ride into work except for the headwind on the hills, with just a slight sprinkling of rain.

Which camera did you go for ?

Lonestar

Veteran
In via Tower Bridge and Elephant and Castle instead of Q14....Back via Q14 and Tower Bridge.Different to the boring Southwark Bridge E/W Superhighway....Why don't they just call it CS 3?

So now I'm new to Tower Bridge northbound but not Southbound and I've been victim to some real crappy driving in the Southbound direction...really bad...possibly because the traffic is limited to 20mph and easy to keep up with...One morning the car in front of me decided to intimidate me by keeping braking,,,that sort of thing or weaving into the kerb to stop a left hand pass although generally I wouldn't try that anyway...Pretty pointless when it's better to be patient not a patient.

Today van decided to overtake me at the bottom of the north side...as usual just so they can get to the traffic lights as fast as possible but I still manage to keep up and overtake...Then a firking great lorry car transporter thing? in the left hand turn lane so I go advance to the right of the lorry as I wasn't going left but getting onto the CS 3 and a car is in the straight arrow (middle) lane behind the lorry which is blocking half the road...Theres a left arrow and two straight arrow lanes...When the lights change a van comes out of nowhere (from the right) to do a left and no indications(same thing happened Saturday with a car) must have been in the further straight (right side) lane or something...but I had checked and seen it coming and got out of the way.Not too much of a problem as the van wasn't aggressive but it's a note for the future.So I am still learning how Tower Bridge Northbound works.

Last edited:

Mrklaw

Had a slow motion scrape this morning. White van trying to do a three point turn and cars basically squeezing past stopping him progressing. Eventually he gets the job done and pulls away. Inthe meantime a Prius is trying to turn right to join my lane but is blocked by the van. I start to proceed and the Prius moves at the same time - catches my rear right side on his front bumper. I stayed on the bike and wasn’t hurt

I think mainly my fault - I shouldn’t have tried to pass until the Prius cleared - he’ll have been looking for traffic not for me sitting right by his bumper. Need to be more cautious. I think I may have been distracted too by the van being repeatedly blocked in by some of these drivers including the Prius.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Nice steady commute with a moderate tailwind, road surface was a bit moist, but the roads were nice and clear and I got a decent tow from a tipper truck, so added a couple of new PRs along the way!

Top Bottom