Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
The traffic was so bad this morning that I couldn't get past the traffic in my lane on either side for about a mile. My theory is that one car parked too far from the kerb, and everyone else just lined up with it, so for that section of road - which is narrow anyway - there was no room. Very frustrating to be stuck in traffic on a blinking bike, plus I was slightly late for work as a result.

Mrklaw

Might look for an alternative route in - around Wigmore street approaching regent street going east, its always clogged with parked vans as the road narrows, and then past Regent street always parked cars meaning two lanes merge into one after busy lights. So far its ok but it feels open to having problems down the line.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Nope, reported him to his school whilst saying how good it was to see so many cycling to school.

School have replied saying that they have followed up with both of the boys, putting sanctions in place and also addressing the issue of their understanding of road safety and the importance of mindful and respectful behaviour. I repeated my comments of praise for the amount of cycling to school. Sorted !

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Extended commute to 14 miles today along some lovely lanes via Milbury Heath/Tytherington. The rain had chiefly stopped although I did put my jacket on for about 20 minutes during a bit of damp.

I was very interested to see a Zero electric motorbike at the lights. It approached silently, and pulled away silently as well when the lights went green. Very nice looking machine indeed.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Ok in via Tower Bridge and Elephant and Castle for a well early start and back via Quietway and Tower Bridge...The usual on Tower Bridge with a tin boxer driving as close to the kerb as usual but eventually I got past.

On the North Side of Tower Bridge there is two left hand arrows and the right is a straight arrow I think.My mistake...I thought it was one left hand arrow and two straight.So that knowledge will serve me for better road positioning.

Makes a change from Southwark Bridge and the East West which got a bit boring.I can also practice my skills with yet another dickhead who tries to block me out yet again...esp when they are getting nowhere.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not strictly on the commute, but returning from a quick trip into Felixstowe to pick up a parcel from the Post Office on work time, I was approaching a light controlled pedestrian crossing with one of those small, upright pensioner special vehicles (Vauxhall of some sort?) stopped at the line - the lights were flashing orange and I timed my approach to co-incide with them turning green but had to come to a stop as the elderly driver failed to notice the change and just sat there.

They did make up for it 100 yards later when they failed to stop for the red light at the crossroads causing a vehicle coming from the right on the green to do an emergency stop while they sailed serenely on!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Pleasant 12.5 mile commute in, yesterday lunchtime, in lovely sunshine. Still in shorts & T shirt.
13 miles Home, at 01:30, in shorts, but needing a light jacket to ward off the chill.

3C0EA651-D3B2-41D4-B8D3-167721D472B4.jpeg

Good news though! My biggest pothole has been filled in.
Just need the other hundred or so worked on now :okay:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Why when it's wet do drivers seem to abandon patience ?

Mini driver tailgating wide around blind bends, overtaking unsighted.... Land Rover Discovery massaging his ego by playing chicken with me & my bike, speeding past passing places which I could have ducked into, moron using handheld phone having to clumsily abort cutting the corner into me, close pass from a 1-series BMW driver, ... one lovely driver pausing to let me grind uphill past some parked cars to counterbalance all of the above - all of this in just one ten-mile ride.

But I'd still rather cycle to work :smile:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Why when it's wet do drivers seem to abandon patience ?

Mini driver tailgating wide around blind bends, overtaking unsighted.... Land Rover Discovery massaging his ego by playing chicken with me & my bike, speeding past passing places which I could have ducked into, moron using handheld phone having to clumsily abort cutting the corner into me, close pass from a 1-series BMW driver, ... one lovely driver pausing to let me grind uphill past some parked cars to counterbalance all of the above - all of this in just one ten-mile ride.

But I'd still rather cycle to work :smile:
So true...and soaking you by driving right through puddles as well!:rain:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Might look for an alternative route in - around Wigmore street approaching regent street going east, its always clogged with parked vans as the road narrows, and then past Regent street always parked cars meaning two lanes merge into one after busy lights. So far its ok but it feels open to having problems down the line.
The parallel E-W streets north of there between Wigmore and Euston are pretty good but there's a few places you end up wiggling around one-way systems.

Lonestar

Veteran
Friday legs today on Saturday's commute.Will these commutes ever end?

Nope not Fridays legs on Sundays commute but I seem to have a bug...felt so run down and tired at work although the ride back made me feel slightly better I need more than six hours sleep.Will try for seven ,tonight.Two weeks off late next month and I need it.

Tower Bridge coming back again...outnumbered by the tin boxes in their slow moving traffic jam and an ice cream van parked on the bridge.That's a new one on me.Good stuff,must have had seven positive reactions from the boxes on the way back.That must be a record.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Couple of days off now, but yesterday’s commute was 12.5 miles in, and 15 back at 01:00 ish.
Only point worth mentioning was that I ran into a badger...
Bloomin’ lucky I didn’t go over the bars or exit stage left, but I managed to stay on the bike!!
Badger made a loud EEEEK sound and scuttled off after laying down and play dead for a few minutes.
I should have bunny hopped it , I know :laugh:

Top Bottom