Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Back from a quick spin on the bike though I almost did not make it. Some brainless Range Rover driver even though he had seen me and the fact that the road on his side is solid white line. Still continued to over take a car at speed ending up the wrong side of the road. So in effect coming at me head on at speed. Only a matter of inches in it I had nowhere to go other than keep the bike in a straight line and hope.
Some cars these days are smarter than their drivers!;)

Chelsea Tractors back out in force this week. Ugly SUVs just won't stop multiplying, will they ever go out of fashion or are they too affordable for average Joe now?

God help us if American style pick-up trucks ever start to become commonplace over here.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Chelsea Tractors back out in force this week. Ugly SUVs just won't stop multiplying, will they ever go out of fashion or are they too affordable for average Joe now?

God help us if American style pick-up trucks ever start to become commonplace over here.
The car park at work has been full of Chelsea tractors during the school holidays (I work at a hotel near Ullswater)...and all the numpty drivers have decided to come to the Lakes as well:wacko:. Lots of overtaking on blind bends etc-I've had a couple of near misses including one with a caravan that missed me by inches. I'm not going to let that put me off though-yesterday I took a nice detour to enjoy a bit more of the September sun.:sun:

Last edited:

C R

Guru

Sadly, they already are in semi rural areas like here.

si_c

Guru
How do you deal with wet but not cold commutes? (complete newbie here). Do you ride slower to avoid overheating - I assume wet gear isn't great for ventilation

If its a warm wet commute, then no wet weather gear is needed. No point. Lycra dries very quickly, your skin even quicker.. Even a break in the rain on a commute and lycra will be dry in a short while.

Basically this. I throw on a lightweight waterproof jacket, and just ride as normal. The jacket keeps the worst of the rain off, and the rest of my gear dries quickly enough.

A caveat to what @ianrauk said is that I find that mudguards are an essential for helping keep you comfortable in rain, irrespective of the temperature. If your wheels are throwing up water from the road you'll never dry out until the roads are dry too, plus the roads are generally filthy, especially if it hasn't rained for a while.

On cold commutes, my strategy is exactly the same, except that I'll be wearing more stuff underneath my waterproof jacket, and I'll probably be wearing autumn/spring gear which is thicker and warmer anyway.

John_S

Über Member
Yesterday I did my first commute for about 7 & a half weeks following an accident on Friday the 13th in July when I came of on a patch of loose gravel road surface and in the process hurt my hip and fractured a bone in my pelvis.

My recovery has been going alright and so yesterday I thought I'd test it by commuting to work having already done a couple of short local rides. Unfortunately after about 2-3 miles my pelvis was hurting and so perhaps I'm not quite fully recovered yet but nonetheless it felt good to be back commuting on the bike.

Given the pain yesterday and so in the interests of not over doing it at this stage of recovery I decided to go back to the bus today but I'll be back on the bike commuting again shortly because I really miss it. It's just a shame that my return to the bike is coinciding with the days getting shorter.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Yesterday I did my first commute for about 7 & a half weeks following an accident on Friday the 13th in July when I came of on a patch of loose gravel road surface and in the process hurt my hip and fractured a bone in my pelvis.

My recovery has been going alright and so yesterday I thought I'd test it by commuting to work having already done a couple of short local rides. Unfortunately after about 2-3 miles my pelvis was hurting and so perhaps I'm not quite fully recovered yet but nonetheless it felt good to be back commuting on the bike.

Given the pain yesterday in the interests of not over doing it at this stage of recovery I decided to go back to the bus today but I'll be back on the bike commuting again shortly because I really miss it. It's just a shame that my return to the bike is coinciding with the days getting shorter.

Well done for trying, hope you feel better soon. Got to be worth waiting until you are properly better but it must be very frustrating.

Slick

Guru
I've cycled all week but this was the first morning for the steel steed as there was rain forecast for later in the day and my carbon bike would obviously dissolve if it was to be touched by acid rain. I celebrated finally freeing of the stuck seat post by greasing it and moving it up about 10mm which may sound a lot but felt very comfortable. It was only on the way home I realised that the seat was sliding down and the only thing that stopped it going all the way down into the frame was a plastic light. :blush:

I pulled in and fixed it far too high but was just too lazy to stop again. On the plus side the rain kept away for an otherwise great ride home. :sun:

Lonestar

Veteran
Reckon I would have burst into tears if it had rained.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Cloudy this evening, but was still a surprise to see street lamps coming on at 5:50pm.
There's much to enjoy about autumn, but I was having a nice summer thank you very much.

Edited to say: getting on for 7:30pm and the street lamps are off again. Phew!

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Cheeky toad stuck his foot out as if to biff me off. He'd probably have fallen into the busy road if he'd made contact. So I have erased his head (and that of his driver).

barboyanon.jpg

Top Bottom