Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Left a bit later than usual, and still quite warm really, was definitely overheating on the way in. A bit under the weather though so wrapped up warm to make myself feel better.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Nice warm commute in yesterday lunchtime. The usual 12.5ish miles.
Finished at 23.30 and took the shortish way home.
Moonshine Gap lived up to its name, so as there were no cars around, and I know where the potholes are, I turned my front light off and rode along in the moonlight for about a mile.... Lovely.

Bit peckish when I got home, so had a bacon sarnie :hungry:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Summary of this weeks commute, f...kin hard. Wind has been terrible quite tough going, at least its been dry. Oh and pheasants, wish I carried a bigger bag as I passed two , looked freshly deceased :whistle: On the cycle path. Just not sure the risk of some sort of disease is worth it lol .

Genau

I was minding my own business waiting at the traffic lights to turn right from Trinity Square on to Tower Hill when I see a dwarf (or person of restricted growth - don't want the resident Maoists descending on the thread telling me it's not the 1970s anymore) run out from the pavement and almost into the side of a cab that had just turned left into Trinity Square.

He was on the far side of the vehicle so I'm not sure if he made contact with it but the driver noticed and stopped. He didn't bother to get out though and drove away after a few seconds. However, another pedestrian who didn't seem to be with Running Man, starts berating him for being so reckless and how he should calm down. The young athlete was meanwhile swaying, staggering and looking a bit worse for wear and mostly ignoring the lecture on road safety. He was smartly dressed in a suit and trench coat so he didn't look like a daytime drinker but it was outside a Wetherspoons.

By now my light had turned to green so I couldn't stay and find out if everyone eventually went quietly on their way or whether this comedy tableau continued. If he'd come along a few seconds later he may have run into me which would have been a hard one to explain. "How did you come by your injuries? Well, this drunk dwarf was sprinting along Tower Hill..."

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's bright spot on the commute (apart from the still sunny weather) was waiting at a T junction for a cyclist with his 3-4 year old son on a crossbar seat to pass, and getting a very cheerful "thank you" and a mini wave from the youngster.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Started off in the gloom, 'twas also cold. Not bitingly cold, but cold never the less. I did remember to dig out the knee warmers last night so wore those this morning. Halfway through a very clear of cars commute*, it started to rain. Not heavy more mizzle, but rain never the less. Got to work just as it the rain started to get heavier.

*Last day of half term today so back to backed up traffic next week.

Rainy commute #39 for 2018, comparable to last year of 24 rainy commutes in the same period, with 31 2017 rainy commutes over all.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This morning's light rain was well timed - garage door open & bike ready, just putting helmet on when it began to patter down.

I quickly switched from a long sleeved outer jersey to the waterproof Pro-Viz jacket and off into the grey !

Amazing lack of traffic due to inset days in all the local schools.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Car today , just not worth sliding down the road or bike paths. Mind made up last as soon as they rain fell, knew it would be black ice central.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Bums. My front light from C&BSeen took a tumble on Friday. Clip was kack, so fixed a new screw on. Still working. Took a tumble this morning and now it fudged. Have e-mailed company stressed that the clip is useless... shall see how we go.

Sixmile

Veteran
After a few colder commutes last week, I dug out some winter gear for this morning. Thick buff, skull cap and sure the lobster gloves were too warm eventually but provide a toasty start!

si_c

Guru
Went outside this morning to get the bike out, a bit brisk sitting just above 1°C. So full autumn kit this morning - LS merino baselayer, LS thermal top, buff, leg warmers and overshoes as well as a thin gilet.

Waaaaaay too hot. Probably ditch the baselayer and LS jersey till it's properly cold.

Top Bottom