Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Second commute this week, nice and quiet, easy run in. Slightly moister than is my usual preference however.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
From yesterday's commute. Chilly. For fun I stuck a Garmin VIRB on the commuter, the plan being to video some of my trike rides so just learning the camera. Closest pass I've had for a long time, actually swerved in towards me. Kind of glad for the camera, and it's gone to the Met. About 2 mins in, the Met wanted 2 minutes either side.

13 rider

Guru
From yesterday's commute. Chilly. For fun I stuck a Garmin VIRB on the commuter, the plan being to video some of my trike rides so just learning the camera. Closest pass I've had for a long time, actually swerved in towards me. Kind of glad for the camera, and it's gone to the Met. About 2 mins in, the Met wanted 2 minutes either side.

:ohmy:
You have to ask why ? Absolutely no need to pass even remotely close plenty of room .What a knobber . Glad your fine

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Thanks to too much wine on Halloween, my Thursday commutes lacked their usual planning so were gloveless and waterproof-trouserless. Not the best riding, plus I was 45 mins late to work.

I really shouldn't drink on work nights, but I arrived home so uncomfortable it seemed rude not to have a drink... The cycle repeats.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

Lethal idiot driver. Hope they take some action. Well done reporting it.

dhd.evans

Veteran

What a twat; glad you're OK though.

Contrary to expectations it wasn't too cold, however i did get 2 rear punctures, one sealed itself then next one was too big. Inner tube change in the pitch black at 0445hrs. Brilliant. And today was a massive headwind. Still loved it though.

Sixmile

Veteran
I didn't prepare last night for this morning out of pure laziness. I got up, looked out the window, cold, wet and miserable. I almost backed out altogether but got dressed into my 'hybrid bike gear' and stuck the bike in the car, cycling the remaining 7 miles to work after a 5 mile drive. It ended up a pretty good ride, not too cold and the rain had stopped. It's looking like a dry ride back too.

Ok, so I forgot my cycling gear this morning (Monday = drive in, leave car and clean clothes at work day) so chose to ride home in waterproof jacket, joggers, t-shirt and trainers... won't make that mistake again in a hurry! :rolleyes:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Bugger...
Small Bugger (1).jpg
Small Bugger (2).jpg

Over shifted from small to big ring which dropped the chain and then I buggered thing up by changing down to the smallest sprocket on the cassette somehow trapping the chain against the frame which I didn't notice as it was on a pitch black back road. I then really broke it by applying brute force on the pedals which snapped the hanger and what can be seen above..
Thankfully it was only a mile & a half from home and on the 13 Alpha which is the least used of my bikes and was going to be disposed of/sold when I'd got the Pickenflick flat bar built. I'll have a look at the damage in daylight at some point to see what needs doing, cost the parts up and see if it's worthwile doing.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A really nice commute home today. I had fresh legs from no weekend cycling. I had a bit of a tailwind. It wasn't cold and had the bonus of some nice SCR. Great stuff.

Bugger...
View attachment 437223 View attachment 437224
Over shifted from small to big ring which dropped the chain and then I buggered thing up by changing down to the smallest sprocket on the cassette somehow trapping the chain against the frame which I didn't notice as it was on a pitch black back road. I then really broke it by applying brute force on the pedals which snapped the hanger and what can be seen above..
Thankfully it was only a mile & a half from home and on the 13 Alpha which is the least used of my bikes and was going to be disposed of/sold when I'd got the Pickenflick flat bar built. I'll have a look at the damage in daylight at some point to see what needs doing, cost the parts up and see if it's worthwile doing.
I can only say..ouch. Hope it's economically fixable.

si_c

Guru
I can only say..ouch. Hope it's economically fixable.
Yup, ouch, sort of been there though. Worn cassette and new chain, put too much power down going through a junction, chain slipped, hangar snapped and the long cage derailleur wrapped itself around my rear hub whilst disintegrating.

I think you'll need a new derailleur, hanger and possibly a new chain if any of the links are twisted. So probably around £50ish damage depnding on how much the replacement hanger is.

Top Bottom