Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Awful headwind this morning, riding significantly harder made no difference in speed really, so settled down to a steady pace. Looks like this headwind has settled in for the rest of the week. At least it didn't rain as forecast.

Looking forward to another quick ride home tonight, yesterday's run was noticeably quicker than usual, despite being held up by traffic!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@ianrauk, no offense intended - you do you, kind of thing. Where i ride squeezing through traffic is not a daily necessity so seeing it happen with mm to spare causes me a sharp intake of breath and a 'Ooh, that looked close' mutterings. Confidence and familiarity with your landscape is key and it's not for me! Helmet wearing is another thing - i choose to wear one but accept that others do not, again you do you!

No offence taken.

Was on a flying visit to the Big Smoke yesterday so no bikey for me. However got a good view of cycling in the city which was absolutely farking terrifying to watch - RLJers everywhere, headphones, lack of helmets, squeezing through traffic on all sides. Just terrifying.
Agree, every time I visit, I wonder I don't see an accident. Roundabout by Old Street Underground - farking madness.
Edit: isn't that where some lady got her legs crushed by a truck? Seem to remember something in the paper about her..

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Very unpleasant ride home.
Raining heavily when I left work, which persisted for about 5 miles before the rain turned showery. Traffic was awful, with long queues on most roads for about 8 miles, which meant I couldn't work up some heat, with the result gloves had to go on after 40 minutes. Big puddles on all roads and some tw@t nearly taking me out because he was so stupid he couldn't read lane markings, or so stupid not to care about any other road users.

Perfect winters day to return to cycling, very little snow, ice, or wind. Was -17C but as I was dressed appropriately all was good. I will have to find my lobster claw mittens as wind proof thermal gloves not quiet enough. I go through this ever change in seasons as I miss place the little things that make such a difference.
-17!!!! I whine when its minus 2, well done to you Sir.

Hit a pothole within a pothole and got an instant puncture.

Pulled over and replaced the tube in my front wheel, packed my things back in my rucksack, put my helmet back on etc. and was about to cycle off again when I realised that my rear tyre was also flat grrr!

Checked the punctured tubes out once I got home and lo and behold, two snakebite punctures.

Lucky I had two spare tubes in my bag.....there is a lesson here for everyone to make sure you always bring two inner tubes with you! A double puncture from a single pothole (fix the bloody roads Manchester council....)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
22BAC1E0-F281-4542-AD6E-EAAD64BF8905.jpeg
Missed the rain again tonight and was lucky to catch this amazing sunset

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Hit a pothole within a pothole and got an instant puncture.

Pulled over and replaced the tube in my front wheel, packed my things back in my rucksack, put my helmet back on etc. and was about to cycle off again when I realised that my rear tyre was also flat grrr!

Checked the punctured tubes out once I got home and lo and behold, two snakebite punctures.

Lucky I had two spare tubes in my bag.....there is a lesson here for everyone to make sure you always bring two inner tubes with you! A double puncture from a single pothole (fix the bloody roads Manchester council....)
I have also had a pinch puncture this week, thankfully I managed to get home and repair it in comfort...... in the kitchen

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Another nice commute in this morning on the Dawes really starting to get the feel of this bike so hopefully can do some genuine road miles on it over the weekend .
Footpaths wet and still all covered with grass clippings and firework debris

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A much nicer commute this morning compared to yesterdays grim one. Much better, sunny weather and dry roads.

I nearly got left hooked............... scared the bejeesus out of me............... it was another cyclist.
Approaching a junction, 3 lanes, left, straight on and right. I was in the left, he was in front of me in the straight on. He decided to change lanes without looking and nearly wiped me out. Fair play to him though, he did apologise, but gave me a fair old fright.
It's hard enough looking out for crappy moton behaviour without having to worry about other cyclists too.

Top Bottom