Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Headwind. That is all.:cursing:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Some good news this morning...
IMG_20181109_074108201.jpg
IMG_20181109_074005457.jpg

Single lane section over a rail line - the only smooth bit being the centre of the road and its surprising (not) how many car drivers don't ceed priotity to cyclists already on the bridge forcing them onto the badly patched areas. During last winter, this section was being patched every two or three weeks, and there's sections just out of shot on both sides that are badly crazed and just as rough as the patched areas.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well, that was a wet one this morning. I woke up to the patter of rain on the windows but by the time I had faffed about and left home the rain had stopped. It had threatened rain the whole ride in. It wasn't until I was about a mile and a half from work the the heavens decided to really let go with a massive cloud burst. And boy did it come down. So much that it was actually hard to see. Along with the gridlocked SE London traffic, it made for a very slow last mile of the commute.

It's sunny now and hoping that's it for the rain today.

si_c

Guru
Another headwind in today, had to put significantly more effort in than usual to maintain a slower pace. On the upside, the run home tonight should be nice and quick.

John_S

Über Member
A bit of a headwind on the way home tonight which was unwelcome on a Monday but at least it was dry.

This is a bit off topic from the main thread of commuting but did anyone else happen to notice the moon tonight? It just caught my eye because it was just so low on the horizon tonight and on several occasions just disappeared from view behind hedges or trees.

As you can tell my commute home was pretty uneventful, which is a good thing, and I had time to dwell on things such as the moon which was a good distraction from the headwind.

Reactions: C R

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
They were all out to kill today,bus driver jumped red lights whilst ours were on green !!! Arse of a driving instructor could not wait a few seconds to turn and blundered in front of me ( they seem to be the worst of the "professional" drivers nowadays and then another red light jumper at a crossing on our guided busway.....pity a bus was not coming to knock her and her little Fiat into the scenery !!! Maybe Mr Red light bus driver could transfer and take a few arrogant drivers out. At least the NCN55 was nice and quiet with only good dog owners about and no glass as they have cleaned it recently

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A commute of contrasts. The first 45 minutes or so up to reaching Eccles were very pleasant. My usual front light, which yesterday had been playing up forcing me to use an older "be seen" light, together with my camera light, decided to work. No rain, despite the 40% forecast, albeit damp roads, pleasantly cool, no idiot drivers and having to stop at only two sets of lights and one of those was for road works.
Eccles saw a change to all that. In the last 20/25 minutes; three car RLJers in quick succession, including one driver whose boredom at stopping threshold seemed to have been peaked at a minute or so and he was crossing the junction whoever was coming from other directions; several cyclists with no lights at all; stopping at almost every set of lights and rain.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2 more rainy commutes.
Both yesterday's commutes were wet. The morning one featured a huge cloudburst. The rain was so heavy that I couldn't really see where I was going. Grim. Last nights rain wasn't as heavy but it was consistent. Lasting the whole of the commute.

This mornings commute in contrast, bright, blue, sunny skies. I little chillier then of late so out with the knee warmers.

Rainy scores on the doors.

Rainy commutes for 2018
42 to date
For the same period last year
2017 over all

Greasy roads and leaves every where had me doing my short commute this morning. Going along CS3 a school boy on his bike suddenly appeared from the left at speed from a gap in a wall and he pulled out without looking , it had me hammering on the anchors and jinking left towards the wall to miss him, only for his mate to appear from the gap as well again pulling straight out. I was sure I was going to T bone him but had shaved enough speed off to miss him. Pleasantries were exchanged.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Headed home along the unlit shared path last night. Immediate regret. Dog walkers, runners and just people of all sorts flitting about completely unlit or in camouflage-type clothing... insanity. Never ever again.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Headed home along the unlit shared path last night. Immediate regret. Dog walkers, runners and just people of all sorts flitting about completely unlit or in camouflage-type clothing... insanity. Never ever again.

You need a big feck off chinese light - like I got on mine. Even with their backs turned they soon move

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Try strobe mode :laugh:

What Lumen rate is that BTW ?

I got a 45000Lm 14x LED Cree XML T6

A bit of a fib on the lumen claims methinks

If I take one of those zeros off the end it would be closer to the truth

Top Bottom