Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Reported a Transit pick up driver for a close pass as I was climbing a short sharp hill. All the other drivers managed to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic & passed me beautifully. This clot barely left the lane.

A&S Police responded 1 hour later agreeing it is a poor standard of driving & to say they would send the registered keeper an advisory letter.

View attachment 438679
Send a letter ???? " You have been very naughty,don't do it again " That will strike fear into a potential killer

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Send a letter ???? " You have been very naughty,don't do it again " That will strike fear into a potential killer
I completely agree :sad:

dhd.evans

Veteran
I did a naughty thing, and i'm only mildly ashamed.

Got buzzed by a WVM whilst in the cycle lane. No excuse for the closeness, no traffic oncoming, just sheer bloody-mindedness by the driver. Continuing on, travel downhill and encounter him again in slow moving traffic. Overtake.

Oh look, his window is open.

"BOO!"

Must have scared the shoot out of him because the next few passes where wide and slow! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
So glad I do not drive to work ! Big fire at a warehouse in my area caused absolute carnage and gridlock,poor souls looking at their phones or at cyclists passing them hoping the traffic would go away whilst I passed them down the centre line unaffected by the jam

si_c

Guru
Steady in this morning as had a bit of a headwind again. Temperature has dropped a little, I was just about right in a thin long sleeve jersey and a summer baselayer.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No low sun in SE London today rather more grey low lying cloud.
Twas a good commute though. Probably one of the last days of a mildish commute as looking at the weather reports, it all goes down temperature wise from here on. Strangely, the roads were quite clear for a school day. Made for rapid progress.

Had a funny incident with a moton. I pulled out of a side road, a moton caught up with me and I could hear his engines impatience as he couldn't over take me. I was turning right so indicated. He pulled alongside me and shouted at me that I should have stayed on the left hand side of the road to let him pass. I said, I was turning right if he hadn't noticed. He said again I should have let him pass first. No point carrying on the conversation so he got the finger. :cursing:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
No commute today, but the police have been in contact about a couple of incidents last week.
The tw@t who 7 days ago nearly took me out because they CBA to get in the correct lane to turn left is to get a NIP. As is the driver of the VW Polo who thought he was being smart using a permanent bus/cycle lane to avoid a long queue of standing traffic. It is unfortunate that my camera is mounted too low to pick up his use of a mobile while he drove up the lane, otherwise that would have been a very expensive 250 metres or so.

icowden

Veteran
Interesting commute last night. Set off from the station, chap in car (in his late 60s early 70s, with lady in passenger seat) positioned as if to turn right into station but not moving forward so blocking all traffic behind him.

I thought I'd be helpful (bad move by me) and let him know that if he moved forward, all the angry people behind him could get going.
Response "oh F*** off (mouthed at me - didn't open windows). Anyway I sank to his level and called him a moron before continuing on my journey.

Next thing I know, he zooms past me close (didn't have the camera on, more's the pity) leaning on his horn for all that he's worth. Of course, two minutes later I cheerfully cycle past him as he's stuck waiting for the traffic lights. I waved and gave him a BIG SMILE. He didn't like it. God knows why he was positioned to turn in to the station given that he clearly didn't go there.

Of course the two angry cars behind him also zoomed past me going far too fast. Waved at them too.

Moral: Remember to turn on the GoPro

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
295F9147-7D4A-412C-A8B2-25D85D4BD9A2.jpeg

Filthy Fixie ! NCN55 is a brilliant route to and from work but there is the downside of lots of leaf litter which gets very slushy. Anyway, after this mornings ride to and from work I thought I had better clean the old girl ready for next weeks rides and hopefully hitting my 4K mark

Attachments

• 425892E0-989B-4E8C-9CA0-CD98EF3E1A6D.jpeg
    425892E0-989B-4E8C-9CA0-CD98EF3E1A6D.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Slightly overdressed this morning. Clothes put out for a ride colder than it actually was. A breeze hitting me head on for the majority of the journey was unwelcome to legs tired from rides at the weekend.
Apart from one driver who considered a red light on a junction to join the road I was travelling along, didn't really mean stop, provided you had been waiting for 15 seconds or so, no stupid motorists.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Slightly overdressed this morning. Clothes put out for a ride colder than it actually was. A breeze hitting me head on for the majority of the journey was unwelcome to legs tired from rides at the weekend.
Apart from one driver who considered a red light on a junction to join the road I was travelling along, didn't really mean stop, provided you had been waiting for 15 seconds or so, no stupid motorists.

This could have been my commute.
Slightly overdressed - check
Headwind - check
Knobhead (minivan) diver - check

si_c

Guru
I'm not sure what happened this morning. Felt really hard, but apparently I wasn't slow and didn't put much effort in.

Nice run in though, road was quiet and everybody was patient and gave me loads of room. So thanks Monday morning drivers!

Top Bottom