Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Try strobe mode :laugh:

What Lumen rate is that BTW ?

I got a 45000Lm 14x LED Cree XML T6

A bit of a fib on the lumen claims methinks

If I take one of those zeros off the end it would be closer to the truth

XML-T6 is rated to 700lm at it's maximum current, so yeah. You'd also need to be drawing 28A current to get that from your batteries, so yeah.

icowden

Veteran
My volt 400 (400Lm) is already eye-shatteringly bright*, you must light up the area like a police searchlight with that.

*except when I miss the low battery light and have to charge it - last night I was on my emergency button light all the way home....)

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
My volt 400 (400Lm) is already eye-shatteringly bright*, you must light up the area like a police searchlight with that.

It's not bad (if you don't believe the walter-mitty eBay description)

I've also got one Solarstorm X3 each side of it on full beam , so everyone thinks it's a large vehicle approaching :laugh:

and before anyone asks - NO I do NOT use these on the road

si_c

Guru
It's not bad (if you don't believe the walter-mitty eBay description)

I've also got one Solarstorm X3 each side of it on full beam , so everyone thinks it's a large vehicle approaching :laugh:

and before anyone asks - NO I do NOT use these on the road
I've found that provided the optics are good, anything up to about 500 lumen works really well on the road. I've got a light that goes up to 1800, but it's totally unnecessary, you're just throwing light down the road for the sake of it. And we all know that having brighter lights doesn't make you any more visible if someone has an ocular impairment.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had one of those "unprepared for the conditions" commutes to work this morning. I decided not to bring my waterproof cycling jacket, and of course I got heavy rain for about the last 6km of the ride to work. Then I had the unpleasant feeling of putting on wet and cold cycling clothes for the ride home.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Other than a few spits and spots, I managed to avoid the forecast rain this morning.
I came across Mr Get Out of My Way last night. A couple of miles from home I turn on to a road which, for about a hundred metres or so is quite narrow. Each carriageway is probably around 2.5m - 2.8m to the central line, so a safe overtake is impossible if there is traffic on the other side, which typically there is. So I normally take the lane before turning off just at the end of the narrow section. A nobber in a Mercedes, clearly didn't like this despite my speed in a 30mph zone and was giving it plenty of horn.
Yes that worked. :whistle:

Ride home today is after a nightshift, and this leaves my body nicely tired and ready for sleep but my mind is wide awake. Mind you my days of sleeping well after nights are long gone anyway.

Sixmile

Veteran
A windy enough morning. As my bike was already in the car I drove the first 5 miles and cycled the last 7.

I definitely need to give the bike some autumn-time TLC as apart from it being bogging, all the cables need adjusted, my brakes are lacking bite but after riding home at nights I can never muster up the will power to go out and look at it.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Met me a lovely lady in a Fiat 500 this morning who decided to come out of a junction and blithely block the whole cycle lane. Bit miffed about it, kindly explained that this was the case and offered her the opportunity to review the incident on YouTube if she got a chance.

Hopefully she will.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Left hook at the large roundabout at South Gyle, the driver absolutely knew what he was doing. Had to brake so as there would be no accident. Think I`ll now stick to the underpass from now on. Just not worth the fight.

si_c

Guru
Yesterday's commute home was not entirely incident free. Got a snakebite going over a pot hole - although this is the second one in two weeks I've had so not happy - relatively quick fix as just swapped the tube and back on the way in about 15 mins or so, couldn't find the puncture at first in the dark. It's also knocked the rear wheel out of true a bit as I could feel the distortion on the way in this morning. Will swap the Lugano for a Zaffiro when I get home - much better tyre IMO.

Today's commute was a combination of headwinds with gusty crosswinds. Not fun and slow.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Reported a Transit pick up driver for a close pass as I was climbing a short sharp hill. All the other drivers managed to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic & passed me beautifully. This clot barely left the lane.

A&S Police responded 1 hour later agreeing it is a poor standard of driving & to say they would send the registered keeper an advisory letter.

KN57 TNK.jpg

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Reported a Transit pick up driver for a close pass as I was climbing a short sharp hill. All the other drivers managed to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic & passed me beautifully. This clot barely left the lane.

A&S Police responded 1 hour later agreeing it is a poor standard of driving & to say they would send the registered keeper an advisory letter.

View attachment 438679
That is a bad one, scaffolders too. Notorious for being the worst drivers on the planet.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
That is a bad one, scaffolders too. Notorious for being the worst drivers on the planet.

Not sure about the scaffolding, they had a load of wood & wheelbarrows in the back. I agree this type of vehicle can usually be relied on to endanger cyclists.

One like this knocked my son off his bike when he was younger, and just drove off leaving him sprawled in the road (thankfully uninjured).

Top Bottom