Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Felixstowe Sea Road on the way in, stiff tailwind - 21.5mph
Felixstowe Sea Road on the way home, b'stard headwind & stinging rain shower - 11mph
And the weather forecast at the end of the local news has just promised more of the same for tomorrow...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I opted for a different dress code today; a top I knew to be too warm for the conditions, with shorts. Just about worked, but the headwind was chilling on exposed flesh. But having the wind behind me for most of the commute home yesterday was enjoyable.
An update on the incident a couple of weeks ago with the oxygen thief driver of the United Utilities van and his abusive passenger. - Having reported it to United Utilities, a few days later I received a telephone call apologising for the driver's and passenger's behaviour and was told they would be dealt with by the transport manager. I don't think they took it seriously, as I know they don't have camera footage of the incident and they know I have, but it has never been asked for. I wonder if a response will be provoked when they are asked by the police for the driver's detail?

Last edited:

dhd.evans

Veteran
Had a kit crisis this morning; went out looking a rainbow. Green cap, red buff, red top, red gloves, black bib longs and blue overshoes. The fashion police will have my head...

clf

It makes a change to hear all of you with the luxury of an east - west commute are getting it in the neck wind wise this week. :laugh:

Sixmile

Veteran
As the hybrid is in for some much needed TLC at the local mechanics, today was the 2nd enforced day on the road bike. It hasn't seen action since the start of October but with new cleats on my shoes and with the dry crisp mornings, the commutes have been quite pleasurable. I just don't ever feel quite as comfortable in dense traffic on the road bike for whatever reason (probably braking efficiency) and the hybrid definitely soaks up more of the cracks and bumps of the harsh city roads.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Getting a bit bored of drivers squeezing past me at this spot, exiting a roundabout. The road simply isn't wide enough. They partially overtake on the roundabout then squeeze past on the exit.

exit overtaking spot.jpg

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Getting a bit bored of drivers squeezing past me at this spot, exiting a roundabout. The road simply isn't wide enough. They partially overtake on the roundabout then squeeze past on the exit.

View attachment 439713

We have a similar one near me.

I once tried taking more space up to stop this happening.

This resulted in the 4x4 hitting the reservation on two wheels and taking out the sign - a sign that wasn't up for more than a day

4x4 didn't even stop

dhd.evans

Veteran
Felt a tug on my chain last night on the way home. Assumed grit or suchlike. Paused, set off from a junction and my rear mech shears in half. Literally metal came apart.

Huh, ok.

On the singlespeed until spring then.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Winter is here, proper cold this morning. Need to dig out the thicker gloves ^_^

I did dig out the Nightvision jacket though.
The rain was cold, so very cold.

Winter has finally hit with a vengeance.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Damp in the air & cold but nevertheless enjoyable.

Some chap in a Smart car passed me too close twice down the A38 and gave me a good laugh into the bargain.

When I asked him for more space in future, he asked me if it had occurred to me that it was I who was too close to him (presumably, that I was not riding in the dirty gutter) !!

C R

Guru
Winter is here, proper cold this morning. Need to dig out the thicker gloves ^_^

I did dig out the Nightvision jacket though.
The rain was cold, so very cold.

Winter has finally hit with a vengeance.
Oh, it ain't winter yet, it has been a lot warmer than it was this time last year (I was riding in shorts just a week ago). I console myself thinking that it is only a month to the winter solstice, and the period of daylight will start increasing again.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh, it ain't winter yet, it has been a lot warmer than it was this time last year (I was riding in shorts just a week ago). I console myself thinking that it is only a month to the winter solstice, and the period of daylight will start increasing again.

I was also wearing shorts last week, with the odd knee warmer day.
Winter in this part of SE London is here.. it's cold.

Top Bottom