Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Definitely starting to feel the bite of winter after last weeks more moderate temperatures. Down to 2°C this morning, so had LS base layer + jersey, the legwarmers went on too. Had a beanie hat on for the first mile, but it was too much, even without it and just a buff I was totally roasting all the way in.

Sixmile

Veteran
Well that was character building this morning. Definitely feeling the chill this morning.

I've been using my thin Planet X convertible gloves up until this point, a little cold but good feel and control. My neighbour was clearing out his garage recently and dropped in a box of old cycling gear to me, which included a pair of Proviz gloves. After being a little nippy yesterday, I decided to try the thicker and brighter Proviz gloves for a change. About a mile in, it was Proviz gloves off and the old Planet X boys on. The Proviz were restrictive and freezing at the tips. Then the skies opened and I was drenched through. All the gear currently wrapped around pipes in one of our plant rooms.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
A bit of a headwind on the way home tonight which was unwelcome on a Monday but at least it was dry.

This is a bit off topic from the main thread of commuting but did anyone else happen to notice the moon tonight? It just caught my eye because it was just so low on the horizon tonight and on several occasions just disappeared from view behind hedges or trees.

As you can tell my commute home was pretty uneventful, which is a good thing, and I had time to dwell on things such as the moon which was a good distraction from the headwind.
Yes-it was pretty impressive. Also saw 3 Barn Owls on Saturday night, one of which flew right in front of me for a couple of minutes.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Bit chilly on the way in today.

antarctic.jpg

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Chilly this morning. Looked out the window and seen the frost on the cars and though mmmm maybe not.

Chucked another layer on and went anyway.

Noticed blue flashing lights 5 minutes into the commute and when I got to the source there was a 4x4 on its roof beside a roundabout. Looked like it had been on fire at some point. Very sobering start to a morning.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, right proper cold this morning. Minus temps over night meant for a thick frost this morning.
So out with the long finger woollen gloves. Commuting peeps. Having trouble with cold hands? The try woollen gloves. They are far better I have found then any cycling specific glove.

And... this weather just brings out the worst in some motons. There's a lot of impatient drivers out there who beep at you for no reason accept for the fact you are in their way, even when turning at a junction and you have clearly indicated. Knobs.

Went past my local bus garage in Orpington this morning to find that 11 buses were destroyed in a fire over night. (Not my pics)
Orpington-bus-depot-is-on-fire-1611316.jpg

1_Orpington6.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
So out with the long finger woollen gloves. Commuting peeps. Having trouble with cold hands? The try woollen gloves. They are far better I have found then any cycling specific glove.
Your spot on with that, need to buy myself a new pair, bought some Castelli gloves in a sale a while back best thing ever however a pair of those thinsulate knitted gloves would do ?

Johnno260

Veteran
It was only a partial commute, I parked about 1/3 of the way from work.

All was ok until I was passing parked cars and the guy behind me started leaning on his horn, at the lights he said I was a retard for not going in? I asked him to clarify, and he wanted me to move over when there was small gaps in the parked cars? now I'm pretty sure that's a big no no as it means I would be constantly popping in and out.

Bar the moron it was nice and fresh I enjoyed most of the trip, refused to use the cycle path as it was covered in leaves and imo dangerous, it crosses roads but the curb doesn't lower for easier crossing, you need to dismount to cross, it's easier to join the traffic flow.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Bit chilly today, -2°C on the way in, still toasty warm though once I got going. Fingers a mite cold though in the Aldi gloves, so may have to get my proper winter gloves out.

Sixmile

Veteran
I opted for my fleece lined Polaris gloves this morning and was very toasty. The only downside is that they do become sweaty, but it's warm sweat! Currently drying behind a radiator in the work bogs.

The main arterial route in the city that I take was closed this morning because of a serious car accident. I'd be interested to know how it could've been so serious on a wide 30mph urban stretch of road. It meant that all the buses and city bound traffic had to divert, 3 schools weren't able to open and that I had to filter past an extra few hundred cars on the way in.

Top Bottom