Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OooohhHHhh err, it's a bit dark all of a sudden!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Was it the few days I took off work last week, the changing of the clocks at the weekend, or spirits wafting around in preparation for All Hallows Eve? Both morning and evening rides laden with boneheads.
This morning, drivers with no lights and/or frosted windows at 5.30 - 6.15 and of course the obligatory (car) RLJers.
This afternoon, dope smokers; HGV driver trying to intimidate me at one set of lights, before cutting across me at the next set; several car RLJers including a driving instruction car who is going to be reported and this close pass....
Capture_zpssmucrmni.png

who is also going to be reported. When forced by traffic to stop and asked if he wanted to get any closer to me, him and his passenger just looked vacantly as if what is the problem?!
The main bonus of the journey was having a wind which was either behind me or to my side.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
It's looking like one of those weeks. Took the bike out of the garage and it started to rain. Crept back in the house to save waking Mrs B and picked up my waterproof top. Got two miles down the road and realised that having taken off my rucksack with my day clothes, and glasses, to change my jacket, I hadn't picked it up again. :banghead:I cycled home and by now the rain was falling heavily. Hastily put my clothes in a plastic bag to save them getting wet and some 20/25 mins after I first took the bike out the garage and having cycled 4 miles with nothing to show for it except getting wetter by the minute, I decided to cycle to the train station about 3 miles away and get the first train. Oh the joys of Northern Fail! Checked the departure board; train "On Time". Then quite literally as the ticket dropped into the collection drawer there was an announcement that the train was delayed. When it did arrive, there was no heating, or at least none I could discern and it just crawled along. Arrived at work very cold, only about 7/8 minutes earlier than I would have done had I not made the decision to go to the train station and paid for the experience!

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Brrr, cold. With a short commute like mine, by the time my legs start to warm up I am already at work, not sure it is worth keeping cycling in this weather.

straas

Matt
Cheapo "100%" gloves from wiggle seem to be doing the job - could still feel the cold on a couple of digits this morning, but very acceptable.

dhd.evans

Veteran
My good front lights are karked so i'm on some cheapo Tesco Knog knockoffs. They are carp for seeing things, but decent for 'being seen'. Made a total rookie error in travelling on the unlit cycle path last night on my way home.

Again, 100% for being seen only. Nearly assassinated a half dozen peds with headphones in, dogs and walkers without leads (both of them culpable) and found myself gripping my bars tightly all the way home.

I will be travelling home via lit roads tonight. Absolutely sod doing that again.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
My good front lights are karked so i'm on some cheapo Tesco Knog knockoffs. They are carp for seeing things, but decent for 'being seen'. Made a total rookie error in travelling on the unlit cycle path last night on my way home.

Again, 100% for being seen only. Nearly assassinated a half dozen peds with headphones in, dogs and walkers without leads (both of them culpable) and found myself gripping my bars tightly all the way home.

I will be travelling home via lit roads tonight. Absolutely sod doing that again.

Don't blame you

I have enough lights on the front of my Inbred to melt ice and I need them too with all the ninja loose dog walkers

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Well that was a bit on the chilly side, lots of ice on cars at 0500hrs but thankfully none on the road.
Same here!:cold: It's been cold (down to -5 C t'other night) but dry here in Cumbria on the whole, and after last winter I have a pretty good idea of where the problem bits on the roads are likely to be :reading:. I've had a few close encounters with the creatures of the night recently, including a Barn Owl flying about 3 feet in front of me!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
"Once more unto the hedge, dear friends, once more, or close the road up with our cycling dead!"

The unusual thing was this horsebox driver made not the slightest attempt to slow down when he saw me.

Thankfully I was going a little slower than usual due to an unusually large number of cars on this road earlier but the rear end of the truck came uncomfortably close to my shoulder.

horsebox.jpg

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

A man's gotta know his (lights') limitations...

Top Bottom